Edward D. Glenn

Ed Glenn

This article was written by Mike Cooney

Edward D. Glenn“These are the saddest of possible words: ‘Tinker to Evers to Chance.’” Thus begins the iconic eight-line poem written in 1910 by Franklin Pierce Adams. Joe Tinker was a rookie in 1902. That was the year that Ed Glenn, whose only major-league hit had come four years earlier, was called up by the Chicago Orphans/Cubs to replace Tinker. Glenn’s career with the Orphans/Cubs was representative of his entire career.

Eddie Glenn had the ability to be a star in the major leagues. Instead, he had a vagabond career, playing often brief stints with a bewildering number of teams. In 12 years of professional baseball, he played for at least 24 teams. The fact that Glenn continued to be signed by team after team shows he was considered an accomplished baseball player despite the fact that his personal life decisions continued to sabotage his career due to his chronic addition to alcohol. Without alcohol, Franklin Pierce Adams might have written: These are the saddest of possible words: Glenn to Evers to Chance,

For Eddie Glenn, the saddest of possible words were controlled by alcohol.

Edward D. Glenn was born on October 28, 1874, in Cincinnati.1 He was the fourth of eight children born to Nicholas Glenn, a laborer, and Bridget Glenn.

When Edward was young, the family moved to Ludlow, Kentucky, just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. At the age of 19, Glenn was still learning his baseball skills, when he was arrested for participating in a strike against the Louisville and Nashville and Kentucky Central Roads. Glenn was arraigned and released on bail on July 12, 1894.2

The following year, Glenn began his baseball career as a pitcher when he and “Ed Gallagher left … for Omaha, Ohio where they will be the battery of the Omaha Baseball Club.”3 There is no information for his Omaha team experience. By August, Glenn was playing shortstop for the Covingtons of Covington, Kentucky.4

Then, by September, Glenn was pitching for the Cincinnati Shamrocks.5 Coming off a successful pitching performance for the 1895 Shamrocks, Glenn signed with Portsmouth of the Virginia League for the 1896 season.6

Instead of pitching or playing shortstop for Portsmouth, Glenn spent most of his time in right field. Early in the 1896 season, the Norfolk Virginian wrote that Glenn was said to be a “crack-a-jack.”7 Of Norfolk’s second game of the season, on April 17, the Virginian wrote: “The only thing worthy of mention up to the seventh was Glenn, sensational catch. …”8 Three days later Glenn started in right field, but in the fourth inning was called on to pitch the remainder of the game. While giving up five hits, he showed “a very deceptive curve,” the Virginian wrote.9

After playing 13 games, Glenn left the team and on May 12 signed a contract with league rival Lynchburg “to play right field,”10 and appeared in 13 games. Glenn finished the season playing shortstop for a Paris, Kentucky team.11

In January of 1897, Glenn signed to play for Parkersburg of the Ohio-Western Virginia League.12 By July he was playing shortstop for the New Bedford Whalers of the New England League.

The 1898 season became somewhat confusing. On June 30 the Cincinnati Enquirer reported: “Ed Glenn, one of the best ball players [of] this vicinity and a graduate of Ludlow baseball players, left last night for Rochester, N.Y., where he will join the Grafton (Mass.) team of the New England League.”13 Glenn was actually reporting to Worcester. (The New Bedford team had been transferred to Worcester; Grafton was a suburb of Worcester.) On July 1, Glenn hit a home run in the team’s first game at Worcester.14 After playing four games for Worcester, Glenn left the team. He did report to Grafton, perhaps a semipro team, in August.15 At some point Glenn was obtained by the Washington Senators. He made his major-league debut on September 7, 1898. Playing shortstop and batting seventh, Glenn went 0-for-4 as Washington lost to Boston, 5-1.16

With no transaction information available, it is unclear how Glenn, after making his debut with Washington found himself playing for the New York Giants three days later. With New York playing Boston, he got his first base hit. “Glenn, the young New England league shortstop, put up a fine game at short, taking Jack Doyle’s place after the latter opened an old cut on his right hand,” reported the Boston Globe. “Glenn opened the ninth with a single.”17 It was his only major-league hit. The New York Times wrote, “Glenn, a new man, had a trial. He did well.”18 The next day Glenn went hitless while making two errors.19

Glenn finished his two-team, three-game, major-league debut season with one hit, three walks, and two errors.20

In 1899 Glenn returned to the minor leagues, playing for a new Cambridge (Massachusetts) team in the New England League.21 On the eve of the season the Boston Globe wrote: “There are few better minor league shortstops than Eddie Glenn.”22

Glenn opened the season against Portland on May 10 as the starting shortstop.23 On the 13th he had a game to forget when he made five errors in a 19-8 loss to Fitchburg.24 On May 24 Glenn almost had a game to be remembered when he started “a clean triple play in the fifth inning … but the umpire allowed only a double on it.”25

After a game on May 26,26 Cambridge folded27 and transferred its players to the new Lowell Orphans. By Lowell’s opening game on May 31, Glenn was playing shortstop for the Orphans.28

On June 6, after playing 20 games for Cambridge/Lowell, Glenn was the starting shortstop for the Taunton Herrings.29 He left the team after playing in 13 games. After leaving Taunton, it appears, Glenn played shortstop for Bristol for a few games.30 By the end of June, Glenn left Bristol and “signed to play third base with the New Haven Club.”31 He played 62 games to finish out the 1899 season for New Haven.

The 1900 season found Ed Glenn with yet another team. The Cincinnati Enquirer reported: “Edward Glenn, one of the most promising young ballplayers in this vicinity, has gone to Youngstown, Ohio, where he will play shortstop for that team.”32 By mid-June he was released and reportedly wound up with Columbus of the Interstate League.33

Selma, Alabama, of the Southern Association became the next team to sign “Eddie Glenn, our fast shortstop,” in March of 1901.34 Glenn reported early and besides “putting in a few hours of good practice every day,”35 he was instrumental in the preparation of the baseball diamond at Selma’s Riverside Park.36

On the eve of the season the Selma Times predicted: “… the infield will be a particularly strong one. Each one is a hard worker and go into a game with their whole soul and with a determination to win.”37

That opinion would soon change.

Though Glenn’s primary position for Selma was at shortstop, on May 13, after “the wild pitching of Sechrist,” he replaced Doc Sechrist and pitched the last four innings.38 Four days later Glenn again took the mound, this time as the starting pitcher.

The Selma Times reported: “For nine innings yesterday afternoon, Eddy Glenn, the fastest shortstop in the Southern League, who was pitching the first game with Chattanooga, had the Missionaries guessing, and they could never guess right. All during the game, Glenn sent a lot of speedy shoots and curves over the slab that puzzled the visitors’ batsmen, and they could score but seven scattered hits and one run off his deceptive delivery.”39 The following day, the Times commented: “Eddy is a great favorite and he wears his honors becoming his generous nature.40

Two weeks later everything changed when on May 29, “Glenn, Selma’s fast short stop[,] jumped the Selma club at Memphis … and signed with Manager Jack Gorman’s fast Jackson, Tenn. Independent team. Glenn has been dissatisfied for some time with his job with the Senators and as he is at outs with the manager and players it is perhaps the best thing for the club that he left, as he would have always caused strife if he had staid [sic]. … Glenn will not be missed.”41

Glenn’s reputation continued to spiral downward when he agreed to sign with Nashville of the Southern League. “The latest caper reported to have been cut by Eddy Glenn, Selma’s erstwhile crack short-stop, is that after accepting advance money from Manager Fisher, Eddy has decided to stay with the Jackson, Tenn. Independent club and give Nashville the go by. Glenn is a good player, but his recent action in jumping Selma at Memphis and accepting Manager Fisher’s advance money in bad faith will always cause him to be regarded with suspicion by reputable players and lovers of the national game.”42

Two days later, June 16, “Eddy Glenn, the clever short stop for the independent team here (Jackson, Tennessee), and who was formerly considered the fastest infielder and best all-around player in the Southern League when he played with Selma the early part of the season, fell from a window in the Southern Hotel … to the pavement nearly a hundred feet below. The accident was caused by Glenn going to sleep while sitting in the window and becoming overbalanced. The … fall was broken by telegraph wires running along the street in front of the hotel and this circumstance undoubtedly prevented his instant death. His attending physicians say that he has a slight chance of recovery.”43

The Selma Times commented: “… [W]hile Glenn’s action in jumping the local team at Memphis without notice or reason is universally condemned, he still has many personal friends among the local fans.”44

One week after his fall, Jackson club President Gorman said that Glenn “had a very poor chance to pull through.”45 That dire prognosis was apparently overstated: A little over a month later the Times, reported: “It is said that Eddy Glenn will soon join the team again. It is to be hoped that he will, as Selma is badly in need of a shortstop.”46

It is unclear whether Glenn actually returned to finish out the season with Selma, but his recovery was sufficient to have him choosing to wait on a call from a major-league team in 1902, rather than signing any of “no end of offers to join minor league teams.”47

Glenn’s confidence in himself was rewarded when “he received a dispatch from Frank Selee, of the Chicagos requesting his terms. Glenn replied with figures which he thought were prohibitive, but, to his surprise, he received a contract yesterday, together with a dispatch accepting his terms and ordering him to report at once.”48

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported a concern about Glenn’s recovery from his three-story fall, stating: “he has never fully recovered. If the ailment caused by the injury does not break out afresh, it’s a 100-to-1 shot that Glenn will more than hold his own with the Chicago team.”49

Before leaving for Chicago, Glenn told the Enquirer: “It has always been my ambition to become a member of the Cincinnati team, and I would have played my legs off for the Reds.”50 Instead of the Reds, on June 25, Glenn left Cincinnati to join the Chicago Colts (Orphans/Cubs).”51

Chicago wanted Glenn to replace shortstop Joe Tinker, suspended after a scrap involving Pittsburgh’s Wid Conroy.

Glenn played his first game with Chicago on June 26. The next day Tinker was reinstated. But Tinker had gone home to Kansas City,52 so, Glenn played a second game with Chicago on the 27th while the team waited for Tinker’s return.

Tinker was back for Chicago’s next game. The Cincinnati Enquirer wrote: “Joe Tinker will get into the game at once and Eddie Glenn, who was signed by the Chicago Club last week, will be released. [Manager Frank] Selee says that Glenn fielded well, but showed up weak at the bat.”53

The Enquirer commented: “Glenn only played in two games and many a slugger has failed to get a hit in two consecutive days.”54 In Glenn’s two games with Chicago, he walked once, and went hitless in seven at-bats while making six assists at shortstop with no errors.

After being cut by Chicago, Glenn joined the Utica Pent-Ups of the New York State League, where he finished the 1902 season playing 70 games.

Glenn started the 1903 season with the Memphis Egyptians of the Southern League. With the Egyptians paying him $175 per month,55 Glenn played in 80 games before Natchez Indians manager Al Haupt “approached the Egyptians about purchasing Glenn from them. Initially, Haupt was concerned because Glenn wanted “$300 (per month) for his distinguished services.”56

On August 14 the Natchez Democrat reported that Glenn would join the Indians. “Charlie Frank (Egyptians president) was given a nice sum of coin for the release of Glenn. … Much persuasion was required to get Glenn in a notion to go with the Cotton State team, but he finally (agreed) to do his best with Haupt.”57

After playing three games with Natchez, Glenn jumped the team. He told the Nashville Tennessean: “I’m through. As John L. said, ‘Booze done it.’”58

The Tennessean continued: “Thus mused Eddy Glenn, the erratic shortstop, who has consumed enough pousse cafes, anisettes, old-fashioned toddies, mugs full of amber fluid, Manhattans, Martinis, absinthes, vermouth, and Chartreuse to float a battleship during his two weeks’ absence from diamond struggles. [Glenn says,] ‘The water wagon route for me in the future. There’s nothing like clear, sparkling aqua pura. I’m on the front seat in the Appollinaris chariot, and don’t forget to mention it.’ Glenn seems to be in earnest. He rues the day that he fell from sober grace just as he disremembers the celebration in Jackson which caused him to fall from the second story window of a hotel.”59

The Tennessean reported that Natchez manager Al Haupt had pleaded with Glenn to return to the Indians. Haupt even sent Glenn money for transportation, but at that time, Glenn had not responded.60

Glenn’s “retirement” lasted less than two weeks. By August 29, he was back at shortstop for Natchez.61 Glenn finished out the 1903 season with the Indians.

In April 1904 Glenn signed a contract to play with the Bloomington Bloomers of the Illinois-Indiana-Iowa League.62 Before the season opened and after an exhibition game between Bloomington and St. Paul, the Davenport Morning Star commented: “Glenn on short … will be (a) fixture.”63

But Glenn struggled, and was benched in early May.64 His popularity quickly faded as indicated by a fan who yelled, “You couldn’t steal a bucket of water out of the river” after he was thrown out trying to steal second base.65

On May 27, after playing in 15 games and batting .195 with an .832 fielding average,66 Glenn was suspended for the rest of the season “and unless he improves in conduct and in playing he will probably not get on next year. … Glenn says he don’t care what the Bloomington team does to him, and expresses contempt for the suspension.”67

The summer-long suspension did not last long. Glenn was back at shortstop for Bloomington in less than two weeks.68 But his return did not go well. He was quickly released. He signed with the Dubuque Dubs of the Three-I League. The Quad-City Times commented: “Funny the way cast-offs are passed around the Three-I League. … Glenn, who wasn’t good enough for the Bloomers, is on third for Dubuque.”69

It is not certain whether Glenn finished out the 1904 season with Dubuque, nor is there evidence that he played in Organized Baseball in 1905. As the 1906 season approached, Glenn signed to play for the Augusta (Georgia) Tourists of the South Atlantic League. The Cincinnati Enquirer commented: “Ed Glenn, at shortstop, is a sensational infielder, of considerable experience who intimates that his work this season will prove that he is fit for faster company.”70

Glenn started the season with the Tourists, but eventually moved on to the Charleston Sea Gulls of the same league. Glenn played a total of 98 games between the two teams.

There is no indication that Glenn played in Organized Baseball in 1907. In 1908 he began the season with the semipro Hamilton (Ohio) Krebs of the Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio (K.I.O.) League. But on July 14 the Dayton Herald reported: “Ed Glenn … expected to reach (Grand Rapids, Michigan) this afternoon in time to play in today’s game. Glenn is a shortstop … (who) has played all over the South and knows the game thoroughly.”71

With the Grand Rapids Soldiers in the Central League, Glenn once again was playing in Organized Baseball. Meanwhile, the league’s Dayton team had four injured players who needed to be replaced.72 And on July16, instead of playing for Grand Rapids, Glenn was playing for Dayton. The Herald reported that the Dayton club had secured Glenn from the Hamilton Krebs.73 There is no indication whether Glenn decided against joining Grand Rapids in favor of Dayton, or if the management of the Hamilton Krebs decided they had a better deal from Dayton.

It appears Glenn played little, if any, for Dayton. A review of 1908 Central League statistics does not show evidence of any official appearances at bat.74

In any event, Glenn’s return to Organized Baseball was short-lived. By early August he was back playing in the K.I.O. League, this time playing for Middletown.75

Glenn started the 1909 season back in Organized Baseball, playing for the Richmond (Kentucky) Pioneers of the Blue Grass League. While Richmond was considered “the class of the Blue Grass League,”76 Glenn on June 4 “for some unknown cause left the team and went to his home.”77

The Pioneers immediately felt the effect of Glenn’s desertion. The Richmond Climax newspaper reported: “The Richmond team was somewhat crippled by the absence of Glenn, who took a leave of absence without the knowledge of the management, a short time before time to play. So sudden was his leaving it seemed to disorganize the entire team.”78 In a “good-riddance” suggestion, the paper commented, “Glenn will not be missed … when the boys have had time to get over the shock.”79

By mid-July, Glenn was back playing, and apparently managing,80 in the Blue Grass League – this time for the Shelbyville Grays.81 In early August, Glenn, after a Shelbyville player had been ejected for abusing the umpire, “became angry and began to abuse (umpire) Dunbar and he too was ordered out of the game.”82

One week later, Shelbyville traded Glenn to the Frankfort Statesmen of the Blue Grass League. Perhaps tellingly, the Richmond Climax commented: “Frankfort will likely be shy a short stop in a few days for Eddie is a quitter.”83

The Climax’s comment became prophetic when two weeks after the trade to Frankfort, “Glenn, the Frankfort shortstop, was taking a nap in the city and didn’t awaken until the game was almost over.”84 Still, he was soon back in the starting lineup.85 Glenn ended the 1909 season having played a total of 84 Blue Grass League games.

Glenn once again changed teams in 1910. In February 1910, the Bourbon News of Paris, Kentucky, reported: “Eddie Glenn will not be signed by the Frankfort club to play short this season. Manager Warren says Glenn is a brilliant player, but is very unreliable on account of certain habits, and will not keep himself in the proper condition.”86

With Frankfort declining to sign Glenn, manager Kuhn of the Shelbyville Grays decided to re-sign him, regardless of Shelbyville’s experience with him during the 1909 season.87 Playing for Shelbyville, Glenn was often lauded for his exceptional fielding ability88 while holding his own at the bat.89 Still, by July, Glenn found himself playing for yet another Blue Grass team, the Lexington Colts.90 Glenn played a total of 77 games during the 1910 season.

The Colts were Glenn’s last team in Organized Baseball. The 1911 season found him playing for several local semipro teams.

With his baseball career spiraling downward, Glenn’s private life hit rock-bottom on August 3, 1911, when “Ed Glinn [sic], well-known baseball player, was bound over to the Kenton County grand jury from the Ludlow Police Court yesterday in the sum of $1,000 for assault and battery. Glenn was arrested yesterday … on a warrant sworn out by his mother, who charged him with beating and severely wounding his brother Andrew with a flatiron. … The mother and two brothers were in Court and testified against Glenn, who claimed he was intoxicated at the time the trouble occurred and remembered nothing of it.”91

Four months later, Eddie Glenn was dead.

As reported by the Bourbon News: “Eddie Glenn, aged 35 … was found dead in a locomotive pit in the Ludlow shops of the Southern railway Thursday by fellow employees. Glenn … had been working as a machinist, and when … it was found that he had not ‘punched out’ … Wednesday night a search was begun, Death was due to concussion of the brain.”92

According to his death certificate, Edward Glenn was born in 1874 and died on December 6, 1911, at the age of 37.93 As with conflicting birth years, the actual date of his death is also in question.

While most documents, including his death certificate, show his death on December 6, 1911, a lawsuit brought by his brother94 seeking $25,000 from the railroad asserts that Glenn died … on or about December 7, 1911.95 (The difference in the date of death results from the fact that Glenn did not return home on the evening of December 6 while his body was found the morning of December 7.)

The lawsuit accused the railroad of responsibility for Glenn’s death due to negligently failing to cover, light, or block off the locomotive pit.96 It was rejected by the county Circuit Court and the United States District Court.97

Ed Glenn was buried at Saint Joseph New Cemetery in Cincinnati.



A special thank-you to Alisha Lee of the Kenton County (Kentucky) Circuit Court for researching and providing court documents for Andrew Glenn’s lawsuit.



In addition to the sources cited in the Notes, the author consulted Baseball-Reference.com.



1 Early census reports support an 1874 birthdate while later documents support an 1875 date. The Ed Glenn family tree developed by a Glenn relative, the 1880 Federal Census, and Glenn’s death certificate all indicate an 1874 birthdate.

2 “Strike Incidents,” Cincinnati Enquirer, July 13, 1894: 5.

3 Cincinnati Enquirer, May 7, 1895: 6. The quotation is as presented in the Enquirer article, though efforts to locate a community by that name have not proved successful.

4 “Terrible Tumble,” Public Ledger (Maysville, Kentucky), August 2, 1895.

5 “Shamrocks Won Easily,” Cincinnati Enquirer, September 3, 1895: 2.

6 “Little Problem,” Cincinnati Enquirer, March 2, 1896: 2.

7 “The Agony Has Begun,” Norfolk Virginian, April 16, 1896.

8 “Second Day’s Game,” Norfolk Virginian, April 18, 1896: 6.

9 “Grangers Go Down,” Norfolk Virginian, April 21, 1896: 6.

10 “Around the Bases,” Norfolk Virginian, May 13, 1896: 6.

11 “The Tail-Enders,” Marietta (Ohio) Daily Leader, January 27, 1897.

12 “The Tail-Enders.”

13 Cincinnati Enquirer, June 30, 1898.

14 “First Game at Worcester,” Boston Globe, July 2, 1898: 2.

15 “Milfords 7, Graftons 5,” Boston Globe, August 14, 1898: 2.

16 “Won in the First,” Cincinnati Enquirer, September 8, 1898: 8.

17 “Great Game of the Season,” Boston Globe, September 10, 1898: 7.

18 “The Game at Boston Yesterday,” New York Times, September 10, 1898: 4.

19 “New Yorks Lose Again,” New York Times, September 11, 1898: 5.

20 “New Yorks Lose Again.” Baseball-Reference.com shows Glenn committed only one error in his three games. The New York Times shows Glenn with two errors in the September 10 game.

21 “Bates Defeats Cambridge,” Boston Globe, May 5, 1899: 2.

22 Boston Globe, May 8, 1899: 4.

23 “Portland 9, Cambridge 6,” Boston Globe, May 11, 1899: 3.

24 “Fitchburg 19, Cambridge 8,” Boston Globe, May 14, 1899: 16.

25 “Pawtucket 20, Cambridge 8,” Boston Globe, May 25, 1899: 4.

26 “Manchester 8, Cambridge 5,” Boston Globe, May 27, 1899: 5.

27 Boston Globe, May 27, 1899: 4.

28 “Newport 10, Lowell 5,” Boston Globe, June 1, 1899: 5.

29 “Made Good Previous Day’s Defeat,” Boston Globe, June 7, 1899: 5.

30 “Made Good Previous Day’s Defeat.” Bristol was in the Connecticut State League. As a side note, Glenn also played a few games for a Greensboro team (probably a semipro team) in the first week of July.

31 Hartford Courant, June 28, 1899: 13.

32 “Ludlow,” Cincinnati Enquirer, April 25, 1900: 8.

33 “Outfielder Bay Signed,” Cincinnati Enquirer, June 16, 1900: 3.

34 “In Real Earnest,” Selma (Alabama) Times, March 31, 1901: 3.

35 “In Real Earnest.”

36 “Diamond Notes,” Selma Times, March 17, 1901: 3.

37 “Baseball Projects,” Selma Times, April 21, 1901: 3.

38 “Lost the First Game,” Selma Times, May 14, 1901: 3.

39 “Pitcher Eddy Glenn,” Selma Times, May 17, 1901: 3.

40 Selma Times, May 18. 1901: 4.

41 “Eddy Glenn Jumps the Selma Club,” Selma Times, May 30. 1901: 3.

42 “Eddy Glenn’s Latest,” Selma Times, June 15, 1901: 3.

43 “Fell Three Stories,” Selma Times, June 18, 1901: 3.

44 “Fell Three Stories.”

45 Selma Times, June 25, 1901: 3.

46 “The Wanderer’s Return,” Selma Times, August 9, 1901: 3.

47 “Lost to Reds,” Cincinnati Enquirer, June 26, 1902: 4.

48 “Lost to Reds.”

49 “Lost to Reds.”

50 “Lost to Reds.”

51 “Another Shortstop for Colts,” Chicago Tribune, June 26, 1902: 13. In 1902 the team was variously referred to as the Colts, the Orphans, and the Cubs.

52 “Tinker Reinstated,” Chicago Tribune, June 28, 1902: 6.

53 “Baseball Gossip,” Cincinnati Enquirer, June 30, 1902: 3.

54 “Baseball Gossip.”

55 “Big Salary Lists,” Tennessean (Nashville), July 25, 1903: 5.

56 “Baseball,” Natchez (Mississippi) Democrat, August 13, 1903: 8.

57 “Baseball,” Natchez Democrat, August 16, 1903: 8.

58 “No Double Headers,” Tennessean, August 17, 1903: 3.

59 “No Double Headers.” Reports of Glenn falling from a window differed, with the fall described as one of 100 feet, to one from the third floor, and one from the second story.

60 “No Double Headers.”

61 “Baseball,” Natchez Democrat, August 30, 1903: 8.

62 “Pa Hill Getting Ball Park Ready,” Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Gazette, April 7, 1904: 8.

63 “New Players in Three-I League,” Davenport (Iowa) Morning Star, April 24, 1904: 4.

64 “Three-I Notes,” Daily Times (Davenport, Iowa), May 7, 1904: 2.

65 “Home for Fans,” Quad-City Times (Davenport, Iowa), May 18, 1904: 4.

66 “Something Must Be Wrong,” Quad-City Times, June 7, 1904: 7.

67 “Glenn Suspended,” Davenport Morning Star, May 28, 1904: 6.

68 “Strengthened Team Wins from Bloomers,” Moline (Illinois) Dispatch, June 10, 1904, 2.

69 “Fodder for Fans,” Quad-City Times, June 24, 1904: 9.

70 Jack Ryder, “LIO,” Cincinnati Enquirer, February 18, 1906: 10.

71 “K.I.O. Boys to Join Soldiers,” Dayton (Ohio) Herald, July 15, 1908: 8.

72 “Some Artistic Bunching,” Cincinnati Enquirer, July 15, 1908: 4.

73 “Vets to Tumble if Rowan Loses,” Dayton Herald. July 17, 1908: 10.

74 John B. Foster, ed., Spalding’s Official Baseball Record 1909, Central League, 109.

75 “K.I.O. Jottings,” Dayton Herald, August 8, 1908: 6.

76 “Blue Grass League,” Cincinnati Enquirer, May 16, 1909: 10.

77 “Glenn Returned Home,” Cincinnati Enquirer, June 5, 1909: 9.

78 “Lost to Lexington,” Richmond (Kentucky) Climax, June 9, 1909: 2.

79 “Notes,” Richmond Climax, June 9, 1909: 2.

80 “Forfeit Second Game,” Richmond Climax, August 4, 1909: 2.

81 “Blue Grass League,” Courier-Journal (Louisville, Kentucky), July 19, 1909: 6.

82 “Forfeit Second Game,” Richmond Climax, August 4, 1909: 2.

83 “Notes,” Richmond Climax, August 11, 1909: 2.

84 “Bluegrass League,” Louisville Courier-Journal, August 26, 1909: 8.

85 “Blue Grass League,” Cincinnati Enquirer, September 5, 1909: 6.

86 “Notes,” Bourbon News (Paris, Kentucky), February 25, 1910: 4.

87 “Notes,” Bourbon News, March 4, 1910: 1.

88 “Millers Defeat Bourbonites,” Bourbon News, June 21, 1910: 4.

89 “Blue Grass League,” Courier-Journal, (May 31, 1910: 7.

90 “Baseball,” Bourbon News, July 29, 1910: 4.

91 “Ludlow,” Cincinnati Enquirer, August 4, 1911.

92 “Eddie Glenn, Ball Player, Dead,” Bourbon News, December 12, 1911: 1.

93 Kentucky, Death Records, 1852-1965 for Edward Glenn.

94 Glenn’s brother was the administrator of his estate.

95 Kenton County Circuit Court, Petition #13558.

96 Kenton County Circuit Court, Petition #13558.

97 Kenton County Circuit Court, Petition #13558.

Full Name

Edward D. Glenn


October 28, 1874 at Cincinnati, OH (USA)


December 6, 1911 at Ludlow, KY (USA)

If you can help us improve this player’s biography, contact us.