One of the biggest changes in the world of baseball research in recent years is the proliferation of on-line newspaper archives. The available papers are growing by the week, but we will attempt to keep this list as useful as we can. We would also value input on the strengths and weaknesses of the various sites, which can be incorporated into this essay.
For a more complete list of resources, visit our Research Resources page.
Individual newspapers with significant baseball content
The following represents newspapers that maintain their own archives, and have significant baseball content. Later on this page are links to lists of newspapers—as papers from those lists are discovered to be of particular benefit to baseball researchers they are promoted to this section.
- New York Times (1851-1922)
- Brooklyn Eagle (1841-1902)
- Silent Worker (popular national newspaper among the deaf in 1890s and early 20th century)
- Stars and Stripes (1918-1919)
- Toronto Star (1894-present, pay)
Individual magazines, guides, etc.
The following list non-daily periodicals available on-line.
- The Sporting News
Free for SABR members via Paper of Record.
- Sports Illustrated
- The New Yorker (free, for subscribers)
- LA84 Foundation (Baseball Magazine 1908-1920, Sporting Life 1885-1917, etc.)
Click here to browse or search the Sporting Life collection
Click here to search the entire sport magazines collection, including Baseball Magazine
- Spalding Baseball Guides (1889-1939, various)
The following organizations manage large collections of newspapers. Please visit each of them, as they are continually adding to their holdings.
- Chronicling America
- Newspaper Archive (pay)
- Newspapers.com (pay)
- Paper of Record (includes The Sporting News — free for SABR members)
- Genealogy Bank (pay)
- Atlanta newspapers, 1847-1922
- Fulton Newspapers (New York, including the New York Clipper)
- California Digital Newspaper Collection
- Colorado Historic Newspapers
- Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections (includes New York Clipper)
- New York State Historic Newspapers
- North Carolina newspapers
- Utah newspapers
- Washington Research Library Consortium (student newspapers for Georgetown and American University)
Other online lists
These sites maintain their own lists of online newspapers, continually updated. As newspapers from these lists are determined to be of particular value to baseball researchers, they should be promoted to the list at the top of this page.
- Genealogy Research Guides
- International Coalition of Newspapers