Earlier this month, we announced the creation of the SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards, which will recognize baseball researchers who have completed the best work of original analysis or commentary during the preceding calendar year.
Nominations were solicited by representatives from SABR, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs and The Hardball Times. Here are the finalists for the 2013 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards:
- Lisa Doris Alexander, “But They Don’t Want to Play with the White Players, Right?” Black Ball: A Negro Leagues Journal (McFarland & Co.), Fall 2012. (use password “McFarland” to open PDF)
- Bob Hoie, “1919 Baseball Salaries and the Mythically Underpaid Chicago White Sox.” Base Ball: A Journal of the Early Game (McFarland & Co.), Spring 2012. (use password “McFarland” to open PDF)
- Dave Studeman, “The Most Critical At-Bat of All Time.” The Hardball Times, March 28, 2012.
- Bryan Soderholm-Difatte, “Durocher the Spymaster: How much did the Giants prosper from cheating in 1951?” Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Fall 2012.
- Shane Tourtellotte. “And That Ain’t All, He Stole Home!” The Hardball Times, March 2, 2012.
Contemporary Baseball Commentary
- Dave Cameron, “Why I’m Not a Fan of Losing on Purpose.” FanGraphs.com, November 19, 2012.
- Russell Carleton, “Hire Joe Morgan.” BaseballProspectus.com, July 9, 2012.
- Brian Kenny, “The Triple Crown is Nonsense.” MLB.com, September 26, 2012.
- Jayson Stark, “Baseball’s Biggest Stars Are Hurting.” ESPN.com, June 2, 2012.
- Lewie Pollis, “Did Hall of Fame’s Founders Want Voters to Judge With Their Eyes?” Beyond the Box Score, January 25, 2012.
Contemporary Baseball Analysis
- Glenn DuPaul, “Controlling the strike zone and batting average.” The Hardball Times, November 14, 2012.
- Max Marchi, “The Art of Handling a Pitching Staff.” BaseballProspectus.com, February 24, 2012.
- Bill Petti and Jeff Zimmerman, “Pitcher Aging Curves: An Introduction.” FanGraphs.com, April 30, 2012.
- Wendy Thurm, “Revenue Sharing Flexibility Stretches with New TV Deals.” FanGraphs.com, December 4, 2012.
- Colin Wyers, “Are Relief Pitchers Being Used Properly?” Excerpt from Extra Innings: More Baseball Between the Numbers. BaseballProspectus.com, March 23, 2012.
Details and criteria for each category can be found here. Only one work per author was considered as a finalist.
Results will be announced and presented at the second annual SABR Analytics Conference, March 7-9, 2013, at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown in Phoenix, Arizona. Learn more or register for the conference at SABR.org/analytics.
Originally published: January 25, 2013. Last Updated: January 25, 2013.