We’re excited to announce more featured speakers for the SABR 47 convention this summer in New York City.
SABR 47 will be held June 28-July 2, 2017, at the Grand Hyatt New York. Full registration and single-day rates are available now at SABR.org/convention. All baseball fans are welcome to attend.
New York Mets manager Terry Collins will participate in the SABR 47 “A Day at the Ballpark” session on Friday, June 30 at Citi Field, where he will be interviewed by MLB.com national columnist Barry M. Bloom.
- Terry Collins is in his seventh season as manager of the New York Mets. He has led the franchise to two consecutive MLB postseason berths, including a World Series appearance in 2015, when he was named National League Manager of the Year by The Sporting News. He spent six seasons as manager of the Houston Astros and Anaheim Angels between 1994 and 1999, and also served as manager of the Orix Buffaloes in Japan.
The MLB Now: The Changing State of Sabermetrics Panel, scheduled for 3:00-4:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 29 at the Grand Hyatt, is expected to include:
- Mark DeRosa joined MLB Network in 2013 as a studio analyst following a 16-year career in the major leagues. Known for his versatility, he played six different positions and batted .268 with 100 home runs. He made his MLB debut with the Atlanta Braves in 1998 and played for seven other teams, including the World Series champion San Francisco Giants in 2010. He attended the University of Pennsylvania.
- Joel Sherman is a national baseball columnist for the New York Post who appears regularly on MLB Network. He joined the Post in 1989 and was the Yankees beat writer for seven years. He is the author of Birth of a Dynasty: Behind the Pinstripes with the 1996 Yankees and has written for SI.com, ESPN the Magazine, Sports Illustrated for Kids, and New York magazine.
- Mike Petriello is a Stats Analyst for MLB Advanced Media and writes daily about Statcast and advanced metrics for MLB.com and each of the 30 club sites, bringing the latest in stats to the baseball public. He can also regularly be seen on MLB Network, is the host of the Statcast Podcast. Prior to joining MLBAM, he wrote for FanGraphs and ESPN.
- Vince Gennaro is the President of SABR’s Board of Directors and author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball. He is a consultant to MLB teams, appears regularly on MLB Network, and director of Columbia University’s sports management graduate program. He also hosts the syndicated MLB Network Radio program, Behind the Numbers: Baseball SABR Style on SiriusXM on Sunday nights. He is also the architect of the Diamond Dollars Case Competition series, which brings together students and MLB team and league executives and serves as a unique learning experience, as well as a networking opportunity for aspiring sports executives.
- Moderator: Brian Kenny is a host at MLB Network, where he appears across the network’s studio programming, including “MLB Now” and “MLB Tonight.” A 25-year national TV and radio veteran, Brian joined MLB Network from ESPN, where he was a “SportsCenter” anchor, host of the Brian Kenny Show on ESPN Radio and an Emmy Award-winning anchor for “Baseball Tonight.” He is the author of Ahead of the Curve: Inside the Baseball Revolution, published in 2016.
Please note: All speakers and events may be subject to change based on availability.
They will join an All-Star lineup of featured speakers at SABR 47 that is expected to include: New York Mets GM Sandy Alderson and Manager of Baseball Research and Development T.J. Barra, New York Yankees Sr. VP/Assistant GM Jean Afterman, J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Claire Smith, former major-league pitcher and Ball Four author Jim Bouton, MLB Official Historian John Thorn, MLB.com correspondent Lindsay Berra, Driving Mr. Yogi author Harvey Araton, longtime New York Times columnist George Vecsey, sports and political commentator Keith Olbermann, Henry Chadwick Award recipients David S. Neft and Peter C. Bjarkman, former Yogi Berra Museum director Dave Kaplan, authors Mark Armour, Mitchell Nathanson, and Marty Appel, Larry Ritter Book Award winner Glenn Stout, Canadian baseball broadcaster Alain Usereau, and more. Click here to learn more about our featured speakers and panelists.
Register now to join us at SABR.org/convention.
Originally published: May 15, 2017. Last Updated: May 15, 2017.