Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office. This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Summer 2014:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Society for American Baseball Research, 4455 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. D-140, Phoenix, AZ 85018. An e-book file will also suffice; please send the e-book in PDF, EPUB or Kindle/MOBI format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
Click the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- Yesterday’s Tiger Heroes: The Detroit Tigers and the 1956 Baseball Season, by Jim Sargent
- Boots Poffenberger: Hurler, Hero, Hellraiser, by Austin Gisriel
- Sol White’s Official Baseball Guide, by Solomon White, with introduction and notes by Gary Ashwill
- A Whole Lot of Bar-B-Q: and Other Baseball Stories, by Mike Shannon
- Baseball Skippers and Their Crews: The History of Every Major League Manager and Coach – 1871-2014, by Thomas W. Brucato
- The 1934 St. Louis Cardinals: The World Champion Gas House Gang, edited by Charles F. Faber
- Baseball: The Fans’ Game, by Gordon S. (Mickey) Cochrane
- Japanese American Baseball in California: A History, by Kerry Yo Nakagawa
- The Texas League Baseball Almanac, by David King and Tom Kayser
- The Bridgeport Hammer, by Jonathan Weeks
- Baseball on the Prairie: How Seven Small-Town Teams Shaped Texas League History, by Kris Rutherford
- Strike Four! The Crankshaft Baseball Book, by Tom Batiuk and Chuck Ayers
- How Baseball Explains America, by Hal Bodley
- Field of Fantasies: Baseball Stories of the Strange and Supernatural, edited by Rick Wilber
- Mudville Madness: Fabulous Feats, Belligerent Behavior, and Erratic Episodes on the Diamond, by Jonathan Weeks
- The Devil’s Snake Curve: A Fan’s Notes From Left Field, by Josh Ostergaard
- Three Up – Three Down: Pearls of Wisdom, by Merrianna L. McCully
- The All-In-One Baseball Stat ‘Effectiveness of Advanced Bases’ (EAB), by Alfredo Nasiff Fors
- Baseball’s Greatest Comeback: The Miracle Braves of 1914, by J. Brian Ross
- The 1928 New York Yankees: The Return of Murderers’ Row, by Charlie Gentile
- Milwaukee Braves: Heroes and Heartbreak, by William Povletich
- Black Baseball Entrepreneurs, 1902-1931: The Negro National and Eastern Colored Leagues, by Michael Lomax
- Inventing Baseball Heroes: Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson, and the Sporting Press in America, by Amber Roessner
- Winning in Both Leagues: Reflections from Baseball’s Front Office, by J. Frank Cashen
- When Baseball Went White: Reconstruction, Reconciliation, and Dreams of a National Pastime, by Ryan A. Swanson
- Forfeits and Successfully Protested Games in Major League Baseball: A Complete Record, 1871-2013, by David Nemec and Eric Miklich
- Baseball Explained, by Phillip Mahony
- When in Doubt, Fire the Skipper: Midseason Managerial Changes in Major League Baseball, by Gary Webster
- The Set-Up Men: Race, Culture and Resistance in Black Baseball, by Sarah L. Trembanis
- Old Comiskey Park: Essays and Memories of the Historic Home of the Chicago White Sox, 1910-1991, edited by Floyd Sullivan
- Johnny Evers: A Baseball Life, by Dennis Snelling
- Lefty Grove and the 1931 Philadelphia Athletics, by Robert P. Broadwater
- Ed McKean: Slugging Shortstop of the Cleveland Spiders, by Rich Blevins
- Lead Me Out to the Ballgame: Stories and Strategies to Develop Major League Leadership, by Howard C. Fero and Rebecca L. Herman
To see previous listings in the SABR Bookshelf, click here.
Originally published: September 2, 2014. Last Updated: September 2, 2014.