Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office. This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Summer 2015:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Cronkite School at ASU, 555 N. Central Ave. #416, Phoenix, AZ 85004. An e-book file will also suffice; please send the e-book in PDF, EPUB or Kindle/MOBI format to email@example.com.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
Click the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- The Little General: Gene Mauch, A Baseball Life, by Mel Proctor
- Calling the Game: Baseball Broadcasting from 1920 to the Present, by Stuart Shea
- Scandal on the South Side: The 1919 Chicago White Sox, edited by Jacob Pomrenke
- Braves Field: Memorable Moments at Boston’s Lost Diamond, edited by Bill Nowlin and Bob Brady
- The Best Team Money Can Buy: The Los Angeles Dodgers’ Wild Struggle to Build a Baseball Powerhouse, by Molly Knight
- Reading’s Big League Exhibition Games, by Brian C. Engelhardt
- Big Data Baseball: Math, Miracles, and the End of a 20-Year Losing Streak, by Travis Sawchik
- Split Season: 1981: Fernandomania, the Bronx Zoo, and the Strike that Saved Baseball, by Jeff Katz
- Havana Hardball: Spring Training, Jackie Robinson, and The Cuban League, by César Brioso
- Lucky Me: My Sixty-Five Years in Baseball, by Eddie Robinson with C. Paul Rogers
- The Grand Old Man of Baseball: Connie Mack in His Final Years, 1932-1956, by Norman Macht
- The Middle Atlantic League, 1925-1952: A Baseball History, by William E. Akin
- Had ‘Em All the Way: The 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates, by Thad Mumau
- The Haymakers, Unions and Trojans of Troy, New York: Big-Time Baseball in the Collar City, 1860-1883, by Jeffrey Michael Laing
- Nine Innings for the King: The Day Wartime London Stopped for Baseball, July 4, 1918, by Jim Leeke
- The 1902 Pittsburgh Pirates: Treachery and Triumph, by Ronald T. Waldo
- Finding the Left Arm of God: Sandy Koufax and the Los Angeles Dodgers, 1960-1963, by Brian M. Endsley
- The Grind: Inside Baseball’s Endless Season, by Barry Svrluga
- The 50 Greatest Dodgers Games of All Time, by J.P. Hoornstra
- The Game: Inside the Secret World of Major League Baseball’s Power Brokers, by Jon Pessah
- The Miracle Boston Braves of 1914: The Impossible Miracle, by Mark Leiter
- Montana Baseball History, by Skylar Browning and Jeremy Watterson
- RuleGraphics: Professional Baseball, First Edition, by Dennis Goodman
- The Galveston Buccaneers: Shearn Moody and the 1934 Texas League Championship, by Kris Rutherford
- Breaking Ground: How Jackie Robinson Changed Brooklyn, by Alan Lelchuk
- Baltimore Orioles: 60 Years of Orioles Magic, by Jim Henneman
To see previous listings in the SABR Bookshelf, click here.
Originally published: September 10, 2015. Last Updated: September 10, 2015.