Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes The SABR Bookshelf, a listing of new books that are received at the SABR office.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Summer 2019:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Cronkite School at ASU, 555 N. Central Ave. #416, Phoenix, AZ 85004. An e-book file will also suffice; please send the e-book in PDF, EPUB or Kindle/MOBI format to email@example.com.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
In addition, check out new books published by SABR at SABR.org/ebooks.
Click on the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- The Newark Eagles Take Flight: The Story of the 1946 Negro League Champions, edited by Frederick C. Bush and Bill Nowlin
- Kansas City Royals: A Royal Tradition, edited by Bill Nowlin
- San Diego Padres: The First Half Century, edited by Tom Larwin and Bill Nowlin
- Brothers in Baseball: The History of “Family” Relationships in Major League Baseball, by Arthur G. Sharp
- Baseball Revolutionaries: How the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings Rocked the Country and Made Baseball Famous, by Greg Rhodes, John Erardi, and Greg Gajus
- Classic Reds: The 50 Greatest Games in Cincinnati Reds History, by Joe Heffron and Jack Heffron
- The Dizzy and Daffy Dean Barnstorming Tour: Race, Media, and America’s National Pastime, by Phil S. Dixon
- Tumultuous Times in America’s Game: From Jackie Robinson’s Breakthrough to the War Over Free Agency, by Bryan Soderholm-Difatte
- That’s My Team!: The History, Science, and Fun Behind Sports Teams’ Names, by Paul Volponi
- Mantle: The Best There Ever Was, by Tony Castro
- Strike Four: The Evolution of Baseball, by Richard Hershberger
- The Hidden Language of Baseball: How Signs and Sign-Stealing Have Influenced the Course of Our National Pastime, 2nd edition, by Paul Dickson
- Black Baseball’s Last Team Standing: The Birmingham Black Barons, 1919-1962, by William J. Plott
- Comiskey Park’s Last World Series: A History of the 1959 Chicago White Sox , by Charles N. Billington
- Rocky Colavito: Cleveland’s Iconic Slugger, by Mark Sommer
- Understanding Sabermetrics: An Introduction to the Science of Baseball Statistics, Second Edition, by Gabriel B. Costa, Michael R. Huber and John T. Saccoman
- Here’s the Catch: A Memoir of the Miracle Mets and More, by Ron Swoboda
- Empire of Infields: Baseball in Taiwan and Cultural Identity, 1895-1968, by John J. Harney
- George Foster and the 1977 Reds: The Rise of a Slugger and the End of an Era, by Mike Shannon
- Tip O’Neill and the St. Louis Browns of 1887, by Dennis Thiessen
- For the Good of the Game: The Inside Story of the Surprising and Dramatic Transformation of Major League Baseball, by Bud Selig, with Phil Rogers
To view previous listings in The SABR Bookshelf, click here.
Originally published: September 5, 2019. Last Updated: August 21, 2020.