Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office. This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Winter 2016:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Cronkite School at ASU, 555 N. Central Ave. #416, Phoenix, AZ 85004. An e-book file will also suffice; please send the e-book in PDF, EPUB or Kindle/MOBI format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
Click on the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- Nuclear Powered Baseball: Articles Inspired by The Simpsons episode “Homer At the Bat”, edited by Emily Hawks and Bill Nowlin
- The Team That Time Won’t Forget: The 1951 New York Giants, edited by Bill Nowlin and C. Paul Rogers III
- Bobo Newsom: Baseball’s Traveling Man, by Jim McConnell
- Road-Tripping the South Atlantic League: A Guide to the Teams, Ballparks and Cities, by Walter Triebel
- The Great Baseball Revolt: The Rise and Fall of the 1890 Players League, by Robert B. Ross
- Baseball’s Power Shift: How the Players Union, the Fans, and the Media Changed American Sports Culture, by Krister Swanson
- Playing with Tigers: A Minor League Chronicle of the Sixties, by George Gmelch
- Kiss the Sky: My Weekend in Monterey at the Greatest Concert Ever, by Dusty Baker
- The Selling of the Babe: The Deal That Changed Baseball and Created a Legend, by Glenn Stout
- The Cardinals Way: How One Team Embraced Tradition and Moneyball at the Same Time, by Howard Megdal
- Cuba’s Baseball Defectors: The Inside Story, by Peter C. Bjarkman
- The Golden Era of Major League Baseball: A Time of Transition and Integration, by Bryan Soderholm-Difatte
- Handsome Ransom Jackson: Accidental Big Leaguer, by Ransom Jackson Jr. with Gaylon H. White
- Integrating the Orioles: Baseball and Race in Baltimore, by Bob Luke
- All-Time Nines: Baseball’s Greatest Teams As Determined by Analytics, by Don Cox
- Boiling Out at the Springs, by Don Duren
- The Boy Who Would Not Play Ball, by Robert Taylor Brewer
- The Art of Being a Baseball Fan, by Brian R. Johnston
- Baseball’s No-Hit Wonders: More Than a Century of Pitching’s Greatest Feats, by Dirk Lammers
- Baseball and the Law: Cases and Materials, by Louis H. Schiff and Robert M. Jarvis
- The Champions of Philadelphia: The Greatest Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers Teams, by Rich Westcott
- Baseball FAQ: All That’s Left to Know About America’s Pastime, by Tom DeMichael
- Finley Ball: How Two Baseball Outsiders Turned the Oakland A’s into a Dynasty and Changed the Game Forever, by Nancy Finley
- Bob Oldis: A Life in Baseball, by Stephen M. Bratkovich and Bob Oldis
- Babe’s Place: The Lives of Yankee Stadium, by Michael Wagner
- The Baseball Hall of Fame Corrected, by Eddie Daniels
- 1930 – St. Louie Browns – A Fantasy, by T. Robert Yani
To view previous listings in The SABR Bookshelf, click here.
Originally published: February 24, 2016. Last Updated: February 24, 2016.