Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes The SABR Bookshelf, a listing of new books that are received at the SABR office.
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Cronkite School at ASU, 555 N. Central Ave. #416, Phoenix, AZ 85004. An e-book file will also suffice; please send the e-book in PDF, EPUB or Kindle/MOBI format to email@example.com.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
In addition, check out new books published by SABR at SABR.org/ebooks.
Click on the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- From Rube to Robinson: SABR’s Best Articles on Black Baseball, edited by John Graf
- A Palace in the Nation’s Capital: Griffith Stadium, Home of the Washington Senators, edited by Gregory H. Wolf
- The Miracle Has Landed: The Amazin’ Story of How the 1969 Mets Shocked the World, edited by Matthew Silverman and Ken Samelson
- Baseball’s Greatest Comeback Games, edited by Bill Nowlin
- The African American Baseball Experience in Nebraska: Essays and Memories, edited by Angelo J. Louisa
- Our Team: The Epic Story of Four Men and the World Series That Changed Baseball, by Luke Epplin
- Detroit Tigers Gone Wild: Mischief, Crimes and Hard Time, by George Hunter
- Historic Ballparks of the Twin Cities, by Stew Thornley
- Baseball and the House of David: The Legendary Barnstorming Teams, 1915-1956, by P.J. Dragseth
- New York Loves Them, Cooperstown Snubs Them, by Tom Van Riper
- Zack Wheat: The Life of the Brooklyn Dodgers Hall of Famer, by Joe Niese
- Frank Selee: Hall of Fame Manager of the Boston Beaneaters and Chicago Cubs, by Richard Bressler
- Walter Alston: The Rise of a Manager from the Minors to the Baseball Hall of Fame, by Alan H. Levy
- Ted Sullivan, Barnacle of Baseball, by Pat O’Neill and Tom Coffman
- Tony Lazzeri: Yankees Legend and Baseball Pioneer, by Lawrence Baldassaro
- Two Sides of Glory: The 1986 Boston Red Sox in Their Own Words, by Erik Sherman
- Comeback Pitchers: The Remarkable Careers of Howard Ehmke and Jack Quinn, by Lyle Spatz & Steve Steinberg
- Escape from Castro’s Cuba: A Novel, by Tim Wendel
- Making Japan’s National Game: A Cultural History of Baseball in Japan, by Blair Williams
- Double Plays and Double Crosses: The Black Sox and Baseball in 1920, by Don Zminda
- After Jackie: Fifteen Pioneers Who Helped Change the Face of Baseball, by Jeffrey S. Copeland
- Grassroots Baseball: Where Legends Begin, by Jean Fruth
- The New Baseball Bible, by Dan Schlossberg
- That Lively Railroad Town, by William H. Brewster
- Phillies 1980! Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Pete Rose, and Philadelphia’s First World Series Championship, by Lew Freedman
- Dodgers vs. Yankees: The Long-Standing Rivalry Between Two of Baseball’s Greatest Teams, by Michael Schiavone
- Subway Series: Baseball’s Big Apple Battles and the Yankees-Mets 2000 World Series Classic, by Jerry Beach
- The Iconic Jersey: Baseball x Fashion, by Erin R. Corrales-Diaz
- This Never Happened: The Mystery Behind the Death of Christy Mathewson, by J. B. Manheim
- The Only Way is the Steady Way: Essays on Baseball, Ichiro and How We Watch the Game, by Andrew Forbes
- Eddie Cicotte: The Life and Career of the Banned Black Sox Pitcher, by David Fleitz
- Cobra: A Life of Baseball and Brotherhood, by Dave Parker and Dave Jordan
- Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke, by Andrew Maraniss
- The Bona Fide Legend of Cool Papa Bell: Speed, Grace and the Negro Leagues, by Lonnie Wheeler
- Baseball’s Leading Lady: Effa Manley and the Rise and Fall of the Negro Leagues, by Andrea Williams
- The Pride of Minnesota: The Twins in the Turbulent 1960s, by Thom Henninger
- The Captain and Me: On and Off the Field With Thurman Munson, by Ron Blomberg and Dan Epstein
- 1962: Baseball and America in the Time of JFK, by David Krell
To view previous listings in The SABR Bookshelf, click here.
Originally published: April 5, 2021. Last Updated: April 5, 2021.