We’re pleased to announce the finalists for the 2021 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards, which will recognize baseball researchers who have completed the best work of original analysis or commentary during the preceding calendar year.
Nominations were solicited by representatives from SABR, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, and the Internet Baseball Writers Association of America. Here are the finalists for the 2021 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards:
Contemporary Baseball Analysis
- Tony Adams, SignStealingScandal.com, January 29, 2020.
- Russell Carleton, “Tranches of War,” Baseball Prospectus, May 13, 2020.
- Ben Clemens and Meg Rowley, “Redrawing the MiLB Map: Visualizing the 2021 Landscape,” FanGraphs, December 14, 2020.
- Gregory Dvorocsik, Eno Sarris, and Joseph Camp, “Using Clustering to Find Pitch Subtypes and Effective Pairings,” SABR Baseball Research Journal, Spring 2020.
- Craig Edwards, “After Years of Profits, MLB Owners Ask Players to Subsidize Potential Losses,” FanGraphs, May 11, 2020.
Contemporary Baseball Commentary
- Lindsey Adler, “What Kim Ng Becoming Marlins GM Means for Women in Baseball,” The Athletic, November 13, 2020.
- R.J. Anderson, “Why MLB has a Brain Drain Problem in Front Offices; and How the COVID-19 Pandemic Accelerated It,” CBS Sports, October 5, 2020.
- Bradford William Davis, “Baseball Let Unity Stand in the Way of Protest,” New York Daily News, July 28, 2020.
- Craig Goldstein, “Actually That’s What Ethics Are,” Baseball Prospectus, January 14, 2020.
- Ginny Searle, “Thom Brennaman’s Slur Leads to Reflection on MLB’s LGBT Outreach,” Baseball Prospectus, August, 20, 2020.
Historical Baseball Analysis/Commentary
- Jay Jaffe, “Missed Time and the Hall of Fame,” FanGraphs, April 10-14, 2020.
- Amanda Lane, “War, Pandemic, and Seattle Baseball in 1918,” Lookout Landing, August 5-24, 2020.
- Sam Miller, “How Empty Ballparks Would Have Changed MLB History — And Could Alter Games This October,” ESPN.com, September 24, 2020.
- Shakeia Taylor, “Effa Manley’s Hidden Life,” SB Nation, April 30, 2020.
- Clinton Yates, “MLB Elevating the Status of Negro Leagues is the Problem, not the Solution,” The Undefeated, December 16, 2020.
Details and criteria for each category can be found here. Only one work per author was considered as a finalist.
Results will be announced and presented at the SABR Virtual Analytics Conference, March 11-14, 2021. Learn more or register for the conference at SABR.org/analytics.
Originally published: January 29, 2021. Last Updated: February 1, 2021.