SABR 51: Jason Benetti, Mike Veeck to speak at 2023 Chicago convention
APRIL 5, 2023 — We’re only three months away from SABR’s 51st annual convention in Chicago! Today, we’re excited to announce two speakers who are sure to be a home run in the Windy City:
- White Sox play-by-play and Fox Sports national broadcaster Jason Benetti will deliver the Keynote Address during the convention’s Awards Luncheon.
- Legendary team owner, promoter, and publicist Mike Veeck will be featured in “Fun is Good: A Veeck Family Legacy,” a conversation highlighting his family’s storied impact on baseball and its deep Chicago ties.
Early-bird discount ends in a few weeks, so sign up today to take advantage of the absolute best pricing on our registration packages!
Scheduled for July 5-9, 2023, at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago — SABR 51 will be our biggest convention to date. Click here for complete details on the SABR 51 All-Inclusive Package, Early-Bird Registration, and optional sessions.
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, journalists, historians, and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, ballgames, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Banquet, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this exciting and memorable event.
The Palmer House Hilton sits in the heart of the Chicago Loop, conveniently located within walking distance from the famous lakefront, Chicago River, Michigan Avenue, and DuSable Lake Shore Drive with Grant Park, Millennium Park, the Art Institute as well as top restaurants, bars, theater, and music venues. Chicago is one of the most visited and historic cities in baseball, home of the White Sox and Cubs, founding teams of the American League and National League, and with a rich Negro Leagues history.
Click a link below for more information about SABR 51.
- Registration: Click here for complete information on the SABR 51 All-Inclusive Package, Early-Bird Registration, and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 51! We’re again offering a special All-Inclusive Package for the annual SABR convention. For the $339 all-inclusive rate, SABR members can get:
— Full registration to SABR 51 in Chicago (regular registration: $299 for SABR members or $369 for non-members)
— 1 seated ticket in the Lower Box Corners (sections 109-112) to the White Sox vs. Cardinals game on Friday, July 7 at Guaranteed Rate Park ($38 value)
— 1 ticket to the Awards Luncheon on Thursday, July 6 ($90 value)
— 1 ticket to the Welcome Reception on Wednesday evening, July 5
— 1 exclusive lapel pin with the SABR 51 convention logo
Non-members can pay $399 for the All-Inclusive Package; the deadline to register is Monday, June 5, 2023.
- Hotel: The special SABR group rate at the Palmer House Hilton of $224/night plus tax (single/double occupancy) is only available to registered convention attendees. After you register for the SABR 51 convention, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with details on how to book your hotel room at the SABR group rate. There are a limited number of rooms in our group block, so be sure to register for SABR 51 early!
- Awards Luncheon: SABR will host a special Awards Luncheon on Thursday, July 6 at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago. The Awards Luncheon, which includes the keynote address from Jason Benetti and a meal, will feature the announcement of SABR’s annual awards — including the Bob Davids Award, our highest honor. One ticket to the Awards Banquet is included in the All-Inclusive Package or guest tickets are available for $90 when you register for SABR 51.
- Yoseloff Scholarship: Students, click here to learn more about a Yoseloff Scholarship to attend SABR 51 in Chicago. The deadline to apply is April 21, 2023.
Please note: All speakers are subject to change due to availability.
All SABR 51 attendees will receive a souvenir print edition of The National Pastime, our annual convention journal, focusing on baseball teams, players, and events in Illinois and the Midwest. All SABR members, whether you attend the convention or not, will receive the e-book edition of The National Pastime in their inboxes later this summer.
Stay tuned for more speaker and schedule announcements in the coming weeks. Visit SABR.org/convention to learn more.
We hope to see you this summer in Chicago!
Originally published: April 5, 2023. Last Updated: April 4, 2023.