Join us for the ninth annual SABR Arizona Fall League Experience, which will be held Thursday, November 2 to Saturday, November 4, 2017.
The event will feature three AFL games showcasing baseball's top prospects. We'll also have a ballpark dinner at Scottsdale Stadium with guest speakers on Thursday evening. On Friday night, we'll have a special dinner at Don and Charlie's, home of one of the best baseball memorabilia collections you'll ever see.
On Saturday, attendees will join members of SABR's Hemond-Delhi Arizona Chapter for their regional fall meeting, with research presentations and guest speakers. We'll conclude the conference with the nationally televised Fall Stars Game on Saturday evening at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick. All of this, including transportation, is included in one low registration price.
- Register now by clicking here! Registration is $195 for all SABR members and guests. (Note: The early-bird discount has now expired.)
- Host hotel: SABR's recommended hotel is the Embassy Suites (5001 N. Scottsdale Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85251) in Old Town Scottsdale. Click here to book your room online or call the hotel at (480) 949-1414 or (800) 528-1456 and mention "SABR" to book your room at our special group rate of $129/night (plus tax).
Your registration fee includes all game tickets; an AFL Media Guide; dinner at the ballpark (Scottsdale Stadium) on Thursday and Don and Charlie's on Friday; and transportation to and from all events.
Our featured speakers are expected to include:
- Del Unser, a 15-year major-league veteran who helped the Philadelphia Phillies win the 1980 World Series and has spent more than three decades in the organization as a hitting coach, farm director, and scout
- Terry Kennedy, former major-league catcher and Chicago Cubs scout
- Steve Cobb, Executive Director of the Arizona Fall League since 1993
- Tony Siegle, Senior Advisor, Baseball Operations for the San Francisco Giants
- John D'Acquisto, former major-league pitcher and author of Fastball John
- Barry Bloom, MLB.com national columnist and president of the Hemond-Delhi Arizona SABR Chapter
- Joseph A. Reaves, co-author of Ned Colletti's The Big Chair: The Smooth Hops and Bad Bounces from the Inside World of the Acclaimed Los Angeles Dodgers General Manager
- More to be announced soon!
Unser and Cobb are scheduled to speak at the ballpark dinner on Thursday, November 2 at Scottsdale Stadium before the Scottsdale Scorpions' game against the Peoria Javelinas. Kennedy, D'Acquisto, Bloom, and Reaves will speak at the Hemond-Delhi Arizona Chapter meeting on Saturday, November 4 at the Embassy Suites, 5001 Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale, Arizona. Please note: All speakers are subject to change depending on availability.
The Arizona Fall League (mlbfallball.com) is baseball's premier player development league. In the first eight years of the conference, attendees were treated to sneak peeks at Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Buster Posey, Stephen Strasburg, Nolan Arenado, Gerrit Cole, Billy Hamilton, and Gary Sanchez before they hit the big leagues.
Learn more about Arizona baseball history by downloading Mining Towns to Major Leagues: A History of Arizona Baseball, SABR's 1999 convention journal that was recently republished as an e-book at the Flame Delhi Chapter's website, SABRAZ.org.
All baseball fans are welcome to attend the SABR Arizona Fall League Experience.
2017 SABR Arizona Fall League Experience
Thursday, November 2
- 1:30-3:00 p.m.: Registration at Embassy Suites-Scottsdale hotel
- 2:45 p.m.: Shuttle leaves hotel for Scottsdale Stadium
- 3:00-5:00 p.m.: Ballpark dinner and guest speakers at Scottsdale Stadium
- 6:35 p.m.: Peoria Javelinas at Scottsdale Scorpions
- Appx. 9:30 p.m.: Shuttle returns to Embassy Suites (after the game)
Friday, November 3
- 12:00 p.m.: Shuttle leaves hotel for Scottsdale Stadium
- 12:35 p.m.: Mesa Solar Sox at Scottsdale Scorpions
- 3:30 p.m.: Return to Embassy Suites
- 6:15 p.m.: Shuttle leaves hotel for Don and Charlie's
- 6:30-7:30 p.m.: Happy hour at Don and Charlie's (cash bar, complimentary appetizers)
- 7:30-9:30 p.m.: Dinner at Don and Charlie's with guest speakers
- 9:30 p.m.: Shuttle returns to Embassy Suites
Saturday, November 4
- 10:00 a.m: Hemond-Delhi Arizona Chapter meeting at Embassy Suites-Scottsdale
- 1:30 p.m.: Lunch on your own
- 3:45 p.m.: Bus leaves hotel for Fall Stars Game
- 5:00 p.m.: Fall Stars Game, Salt River Fields at Talking Stick
- Appx. 8:30 p.m.: Bus returns to Embassy Suites (after the game)
Local or visiting SABR members can purchase extra or optional tickets to the Thursday evening ballpark dinner and game ($35) at Scottsdale Stadium, the Friday afternoon game at Scottsdale Stadium ($7), the Friday night dinner at Don and Charlie's ($60), or the Fall Stars Game ($7) on Saturday night at Salt River Fields. Extra AFL Media Guides ($12) are also available for purchase while supplies last. Please contact Deb Jayne at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
For stories and photos from past AFL Experiences, click on a link below: