BioProject Group Projects
The Baseball Biography Project encourages and supports team or region-based group projects (or whatever groupings you might think of).
If you have an idea for a project featuring your team, your part of the world, your area of interest – please contact Bill Nowlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books already published
There have been 34 projects which have been completed and published:
- 1901 Boston Americans (SABR, 2013)
- 1912 Boston Red Sox (SABR, 2012)
- 1914 Boston Braves (SABR, 2014)
- 1918 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2008)
- 1919 Chicago White Sox (SABR, 2015)
- 1929 Chicago Cubs (SABR, 2015)
- 1934 St. Louis Cardinals (SABR, 2014)
- 1935 Detroit Tigers (SABR, 2014)
- 1939 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2009)
- 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2012)
- 1947 New York Yankees (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2013)
- 1948 Boston Braves/Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2008)
- 1950s Boston Red Sox (SABR, 2012)
- 1951 New York Giants (SABR, 2015)
- 1954 Cleveland Indians (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2014)
- 1957 Milwaukee Braves (SABR, 2014)
- 1959 Chicago White Sox (ACTA Publications, 2009)
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates (SABR, 2013)
- 1964 St. Louis Cardinals (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2013)
- 1964 Philadelphia Phillies (SABR, 2013)
- 1965 Minnesota Twins (SABR, 2015)
- 1967 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2007)
- 1968 Detroit Tigers (Maple Street Press, 2008)
- 1969 New York Mets (Maple Street Press, 2009)
- 1970 Baltimore Orioles (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2012)
- 1972-74 Oakland Athletics (SABR, 2015)
- 1975 Boston Red Sox (SABR, 2015)
- 1975 Cincinnati Reds (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2014)
- 1984 Detroit Tigers (SABR, 2012)
- Minnesotans in Baseball (Nodin Press, 2009)
- Nuclear Powered Baseball/The Simpsons (SABR, 2016)
- Scouts book: Can He Play? (SABR, 2011)
- Van Lingle Mungo (SABR, 2014)
- World War II replacement players (SABR, 2015)
Projects still seeking biographers (and readers, fact-checkers, etc.)
- 1950 Philadelphia Phillies (editors: C. Paul Rogers III and Ed Veit). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1972 Texas Rangers (editor: Steve West). Some biographies have been assigned. Click here for more details.
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates (editor: George Skornickel). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1986 New York Mets/Boston Red Sox (editors: Leslie Heaphy and Bill Nowlin). All biographies have been assigned. Expected publication in 2016.
- 1995 Cleveland Indians (editor: Joseph Wancho). Most biographies have been assigned.
- Colorado Silver Bullets (editor: Leslie Heaphy). Biographies of players and coaches from the 1990s women's baseball team.
- Rhode Island Natives (editor: Ray Birch). Chances are, this will be quite a long-range project. Completed biographies are not being embargoed, but are being posted.
- Quebec Natives (editor: Patrick Carpentier). Still in its initial stages.
- Puerto Rican Natives (editor: Edwin Fernandez-Cruz). Still in its initial stages.
- 1946 Newark Eagles (editor: Rich Puerzer). Still in its initial stages.
Collaborative projects with other organizations
- AAGPBL/SABR collaboration. A bit different than the other projects in that the bios are not intended for print publication, but for posting jointly on the AAGPBL and BioProject websites. Bill Nowlin is the SABR coordinator and Merrie Fidler is the AAGPBL-PA coordinator for the project. Contact either one to sign on. You'll meet some wonderful and interesting ladies, and, if you don't have a subject in mind, Merrie can locate AAGPBL players in, or close to, your state and possibly even in your hometown.
Each of the above collaborations is proceeding incrementally, with the occasional biography being completed.
Last update: January 12, 2016
To go back to the BioProject Resources page, click here.