BioProject Group Projects
The Baseball Biography Project encourages and supports team or region-based group projects (or whatever groupings you might think of).
If you have an idea for a project featuring your team, your part of the world, your area of interest – please contact Bill Nowlin at email@example.com.
Books already published
First of all, there have been 26 projects which have completed and published:
- 1901 Boston Americans (SABR, 2013)
- 1912 Boston Red Sox (SABR, 2012)
- 1914 Boston Braves (SABR, 2012)
- 1918 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2008)
- 1934 St. Louis Cardinals (SABR, 2014)
- 1939 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2009)
- 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2012)
- 1947 New York Yankees (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2013)
- 1948 Boston Braves/Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2008)
- 1950s Boston Red Sox (SABR, 2012)
- 1954 Cleveland Indians (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2014)
- 1957 Milwaukee Braves (SABR, 2014)
- 1959 Chicago White Sox (ACTA Publications, 2009)
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates (SABR, 2013)
- 1964 St. Louis Cardinals (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2013)
- 1964 Philadelphia Phillies (SABR, 2013)
- 1967 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2007)
- 1968 Detroit Tigers (Maple Street Press, 2008)
- 1969 New York Mets (Maple Street Press, 2009)
- 1970 Baltimore Orioles (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2012)
- 1975 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2005)
- 1975 Cincinnati Reds (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2014)
- 1984 Detroit Tigers (SABR, 2012)
- Minnesotans in Baseball (Nodin Press, 2009)
- Scouts book: Can He Play? (SABR, 2011)
- Van Lingle Mungo (SABR, 2014)
Projects still seeking biographers (and readers, fact-checkers, etc.)
- 1919 Chicago White Sox (editor: Jacob Pomrenke). All biographies have been assigned, but essays on the team and season are still desired.
- 1929 Chicago Cubs (editor: Gregory Wolf). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1935 Detroit Tigers (editor: Scott Ferkovich). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1950 Philadelphia Phillies (editors: C. Paul Rogers III and Ed Veit). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1965 Minnesota Twins (editor: Gregory H. Wolf). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1966 Atlanta Braves (editor: Terry Sloope). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1951 New York Giants (editors: C. Paul Rogers III and Bill Nowlin). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1972-74 Oakland Athletics (editor: Chip Greene). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates (editor: George Skornickel). Some biographies have been assigned.
- 1995 Cleveland Indians (editor: Joseph Wancho). Some biographies have been assigned.
- "Van Lingle Mungo" (editor: Bill Nowlin). Biographies of players mentioned in the "Van Lingle Mungo" song.
- Colorado Silver Bullets (editor: Leslie Heaphy). Biographies of players and coaches from the 1990s women's baseball team.
- World War II "replacement players" (editors: Marc Aaron and Bill Nowlin). Biographies of wartime players in the major leagues.
- Rhode Island Natives (editor: Ray Birch). Chances are, this will be quite a long-range project. Completed biographies are not being embargoed, but are being posted.
- Quebec Natives (editor: Patrick Carpentier). Still in its initial stages.
- Puerto Rican Natives (editor: Edwin Fernandez-Cruz). Still in its initial stages.
- 1946 Newark Eagles (editor: Rich Puerzer). Still in its initial stages.
Collaborative projects with other organizations
- AAGPBL/SABR collaboration. A bit different than the other projects in that the bios are not intended for print publication, but for posting jointly on the AAGPBL and BioProject web sites. Bill Nowlin is the SABR coordinator and Merrie Fidler is the AAGPBL-PA coordinator for the project. Contact either one to sign on. You'll meet some wonderful and interesting ladies, and, if you don't have a subject in mind, Merrie can locate AAGPBL players in, or close to, your state and possibly even in your hometown.
- Jewish Major Leaguers/SABR collaboration (editor: Martin Abramowitz). This collaborative project was announced and at least one biography completed, but Jewish Major Leagues, Inc. has been wrapping up two other projects first before turning more attention to this one.
Each of the above collaborations is proceeding incrementally, with the occasional biography being completed.
Last update: August 25, 2014
To go back to the BioProject Resources page, click here.