BioProject Group Projects
The Baseball Biography Project encourages and supports team or region-based group projects (or whatever groupings you might think of).
If you have an idea for a project featuring your team, your part of the world, your area of interest – please contact Bill Nowlin at email@example.com.
Books already published
First of all, there have been 17 projects which have completed and published:
- 1912 Boston Red Sox (SABR, 2012)
- 1918 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2008)
- 1939 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2009)
- 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2012)
- 1947 New York Yankees (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2013)
- 1948 Boston Braves/Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2008)
- 1950s Boston Red Sox (SABR, 2012)
- 1959 Chicago White Sox (ACTA Publications, 2009)
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates (SABR, 2013)
- 1964 St. Louis Cardinals (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2013)
- 1967 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2007)
- 1968 Detroit Tigers (Maple Street Press, 2008)
- 1969 New York Mets (Maple Street Press, 2009)
- 1970 Baltimore Orioles (Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2012)
- 1975 Boston Red Sox (Rounder Books, 2005)
- 1984 Detroit Tigers (SABR, 2012)
- Minnesotans in Baseball (Nodin Press, 2009)
All of these projects resulted in books, which can be found in our SABR Bookstore.We expect to see a few more books published in the next 12 months.
Projects in the works, for which all biographies have been assigned
- 1954 Indians (editor: Joseph Wancho). To be published in 2014 as part of University of Nebraska's "Memorable Teams in Baseball History" series.
- 1975 Reds (editor: Mark Armour). To be published in 2014 as part of University of Nebraska's "Memorable Teams in Baseball History" series.
- 1964 Philadelphia Phillies (editor: Mel Marmer).
- 1901 Boston Americans (editor: Bill Nowlin) – All players assigned, and all are completed except for two or three. Publication expected in 2013 or 2014.
Projects still seeking biographers (and readers, fact-checkers, etc.)
- 1919 Chicago White Sox (editor: Jacob Pomrenke). All biographies have been assigned, but essays on the team and season are still desired.
- 1935 Detroit Tigers (editor: Scott Ferkovich). Some biographies have been assigned.
- Rhode Island Natives (editor: Ray Birch). Chances are, this will be quite a long-range project. Completed biographies are not being embargoed, but are being posted.
Other projects which are under way
- 1914 Boston Braves (editor: Bob Joel)
- 1929 Chicago Cubs (editor: Gregory Wolf)
- Quebec Natives (editor: Patrick Carpentier). Target deadline for completion of biographies is January 2014.
- 1979 Baltimore Orioles (editor: Tom Heinlein). This is at a midpoint, with 15 completed, but about 13 still left to be assigned.
- Puerto Rican Natives (editor: Edwin Fernandez-Cruz). Still in its initial stages.
- 1946 Newark Eagles (editor: Rich Puerzer). Still in its initial stages.
Collaborative projects with other organizations
- AAGPBL/SABR collaboration. A bit different than the other projects in that the bios are not intended for print publication, but for posting jointly on the AAGPBL and BioProject web sites. Bill Nowlin is the SABR coordinator and Merrie Fidler is the AAGPBL-PA coordinator for the project. Contact either one to sign on. You'll meet some wonderful and interesting ladies, and, if you don't have a subject in mind, Merrie can locate AAGPBL players in, or close to, your state and possibly even in your hometown.
- Jewish Major Leaguers/SABR collaboration (editor: Martin Abramowitz). This collaborative project was announced and at least one biography completed, but Jewish Major Leagues, Inc. has been wrapping up two other projects first before turning more attention to this one.
Each of the above collaborations is proceeding incrementally, with the occasional biography being completed.
Last update: April 19, 2013
To go back to the BioProject Resources page, click here.