Couldn't make it to Long Beach for SABR 41? Every day during the convention, we brought you more on-site, online coverage than ever before of our premier annual event.
You'll feel like you were wandering the convention area at the Hilton with stories and interviews with featured speakers, audio from all five panel discussions, photo galleries from throughout the week, and more.
The 2011 convention — July 6-10 at the Long Beach Hilton in Southern California — was SABR's 41st general meeting; SABR's founding in Cooperstown in 1971 is counted as the first. Both SABR members and non-members are welcome to any annual convention. With three full days of research presentations and two major league games (both the Angels and the Dodgers), all baseball fans and researchers could find something to enjoy.
Here are some of the highlights from SABR 41:
- Bill Nowlin selected as Bob Davids Award winner
- Listen to all five SABR 41 panel discussions
At SABR 41, we had five exciting and informative panel discussions, one for each day of the convention, which you can now listen to in their entirety on your computer:
- MEDICAL PANEL (Wednesday, featuring: Bergert, Carroll, ElAttrache, Wilk)
- MEDIA PANEL (Thursday, featuring: Cameron, Forman, McCue, Squadron, Stanton)
- SABR ERA PANEL (Friday, featuring: Dewan, Gilbert, Hemond, Hufford, Parker, Thorn)
- GENERAL MANAGERS PANEL (Saturday, featuring: Claire, Evans, Hoyer, Neyer)
- PLAYER PANEL (Sunday, featuring: Davis, Ferrara, Mednick)
- In addition, Scott Boras' keynote speech from Thursday morning is available here, along with video of our exclusive interview with him afterward.
- Krabbenhoft: Greenberg should share AL RBI record
- Davies, Kilgo team win SABR 41 presentation awards
- Harry Stovey selected as 2011 Overlooked 19th Century Baseball Legend
- Todd Lebowitz elected to fill remaining year on Secretary's term
- Los Angeles area All-Time All-Stars revealed
- Recap and photos of the Southern California Historical Ballparks Tour
- Philadelphia chosen as 2013 convention site
- Bill Carle repeats as Trivia Contest individual champion
- Listen to ex-Dodgers 1B Wes Parker talk baseball with SABR member after Friday's panel
- Author Aaron Pribble talks about his book, Pitching in the Promise Land, on the fledgling Israel Baseball League
- Read some of the top tweets live from SABR 41 here
- View a photo gallery of our favorite hats and jerseys on display at SABR 41
- SABR 41 attendees showed up for many reasons
- RIP Dick Crago, the "Voice" of Holman Stadium in Vero Beach, Florida
- A profile of Jan Wood, pioneer of women's ball
- Founder Tom Hufford welcomes attendees with impromptu piano performance
For more information on SABR 41, click one of the links below:
- Around the Web: Read a compilation of articles of post-convention recaps from SABR members and other media outlets
- Film Festival: Check out the schedule for our weeklong Film Festival held during the convention.
- Photo galleries: View photos from each day of the convention.
- Poster presentations: Abstracts and presenter bios for the 10 posters that were on display in the hotel lobby.
- Research presentations: Abstracts and presenter bios for each of the 30 presentations.
- Trivia Contest: Follow along with Saturday's Trivia Contest finals with an archive of our live chat from that night.
If you like what you see here, we hope you'll join us next year for SABR 42 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Thanks for your support of SABR!
— Jacob Pomrenke
SABR Web Editor/Producer
SABR co-founder and director Tom Hufford welcomes convention attendees with an impromptu performance of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" on the piano in the hotel the night before SABR 41 begins:
- Events calendar: For more information on SABR conferences throughout the year, visit SABR.org/events
- Convention history: For a multimedia look at every SABR convention since 1971, click here