June 20-24, 2018
Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh
600 Commonwealth Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Phone: (412) 391-4600
We hope you'll join us for what promises to be a spectacular SABR 48 convention in ths summer of 2018 in Pittsburgh. Conference and hotel registration is now available. Click here for more information on SABR 48 registration rates, all-inclusive packages, and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 48.
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, journalists, historians, and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, major and minor league games, tours of historic ballparks, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Luncheon, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this exciting and memorable event.
The Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh is conveniently located within walking distance from PNC Park and a light rail station, many downtown cultural amenities, and right across the street from the picturesque 36-acre Point State Park where the three rivers converge.
Click on a link below for more information about SABR 48.
SABR 48 information
- Registration: Click here for complete information on SABR 48 registration rates, all-inclusive packages, and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 48! We're again offering a special all-inclusive rate for the annual SABR convention. For $319, a savings of $30 off the regular rate, SABR members can get:
— Full registration to SABR 48 in Pittsburgh (early-bird: $249; regular rate: $279)
— 1 ticket in the Corner Box (LF) section to the Pirates vs. Diamondbacks game on Friday, June 22 — includes special "A Day at the Ballpark" pregame session at PNC Park ($40 value)
— 1 ticket to the Awards Luncheon on Friday, June 22 ($60 value)
Non-members can pay $394 for the all-inclusive rate. The deadline to register with the all-inclusive rate is Friday, May 18, 2018.
- Hotel: The special SABR group rate at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh of $149/night (plus tax) is only available to registered convention attendees. After you register for the SABR 48 convention, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with details on how to book your hotel room at the SABR group rate. There are a limited number of rooms in our group block, so be sure to register for SABR 48 early!
- Awards Luncheon: SABR will host a special Awards Luncheon on Friday, June 22 at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh. The Awards Luncheon, which includes a full meal, will feature the announcement of SABR's annual awards — including the Bob Davids Award, our highest honor. One ticket to the Awards Luncheon is included in the all-inclusive package or guest tickets are available for $60 when you register for SABR 48.
- Research presentations: SABR invites all members to present their research findings to their colleagues attending SABR 48. The deadline to submit your abstract is Sunday, February 25, 2018. Click here for complete details and application form.
- Yoseloff Scholarship: Students, click here to learn more about a Yoseloff Scholarship to attend SABR 48 in Pittsburgh.
A Day at the Ballpark: Friday, June 22 at PNC Park
For the third year in a row and fourth time in five years, SABR will present “A Day at the Ballpark” before the Pittsburgh Pirates game on Friday, June 22 at PNC Park. Special thanks to the Pirates for this great opportunity and for offering us a large block of tickets in the Corner Box (LF) section at an affordable price of $40 ($45 for non-members).
A special ballpark session will be held at PNC Park on Friday afternoon, followed by the game that night between the Pirates and the Diamondbacks. More details on the guest speakers will be announced soon, but you can be sure we will have an All-Star lineup.
Note: Purchase of SABR 48 conference registration AND a game ticket will be required to attend this special session. Click here to register for SABR 48.
Bring a guest or spouse with the SABR 48 Ballpark Session pass: SABR members who wish to bring a guest or spouse to the ballpark session only on Friday, June 22 at PNC Park can do so for the low cost of $25, plus a Pirates game ticket ($40 for members). Click here for more details.
RSVP for special Roberto Clemente Museum visit: Wednesday, June 20
The Roberto Clemente Museum in Pittsburgh has a special offer for SABR 48 attendees: The museum will host four tours (maximum of 20 people per tour) at $20 per person on Wednesday, June 20. Reservations will be made on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please call the museum at (412) 621-1268, Ext. 2, to reserve your space. No reservations can be made online; payment is due on-site when you arrive for the tour.
The tours last about 1.5 hours and the start times on Wednesday, June 20 are as follows (subject to availability): 10:00 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 2:30 p.m., and 5:00 p.m.
Transportation to and from the museum is on your own; the museum is about 3.5 miles from the convention hotel and is accessible via taxi/rideshare or by several Port Authority bus lines in the city. All questions and inquiries should be directed to the Clemente Museum at the main number above.
The Clemente Museum is housed in historic Engine House 25, 3339 Penn Avenue, in the revitalized Lawrenceville section of Pittsburgh. Executive Director and Curator Duane Rieder has meticulously renovated Engine House 25 to showcase the world’s largest exhibited collection of baseball artifacts, works of art, literature, photographs, memorabilia, and related materials which focus on Roberto Clemente, his teammates, his personal life, and his humanitarian causes. For more information, visit clementemuseum.org.
Get your copy of The National Pastime convention journal
All SABR 48 attendees will receive a souvenir print edition of The National Pastime, our annual convention journal, focusing on baseball teams, players, and events in the Pittsburgh area. All SABR members, whether you attend the convention or not, will receive the e-book edition of The National Pastime in their inboxes later this summer. Click here to register for SABR 48.
Pre-order your SABR 48 convention logo shirts, caps, or souvenir baseballs
- Polo shirt: $35
- T-shirt: $20
- Baseball cap: $30
(Each item will feature the SABR 48 convention logo)
Avoid the rush at registration, and pre-order your SABR 48 convention logo polo shirt, T-shirt, or baseball cap online! Deadline to pre-order: Monday, May 18, 2018. Please indicate shirt size (adult S to XXXL) when you register. Items will be available to be picked up when you arrive at the SABR convention. (Sorry, we cannot mail out any pre-ordered items after the convention.) Caps are one-size-fit-most.
To guarantee that you get a SABR 48 convention logo shirt or cap, please place your order online by May 18.
Please note: A VERY LIMITED number of SABR logo polo shirts, T-shirts, and baseball caps will also be available for purchase on-site at the SABR convention. The SABR logo items are first-come, first-serve and not available for pre-order, only the SABR 48 convention logo items.
- 2017 convention coverage: For complete coverage of SABR 47 in New York City, click here
- SABR Convention History: For a multimedia look at every SABR convention since 1971, click here