July 27-31, 2016
Hyatt Regency Miami
400 SE 2nd Ave.
Miami, FL 33131
We hope you'll join us for what promises to be a spectacular SABR 46 convention in the summer of 2016 in Miami, Florida. Hotel and conference registration for the 2016 convention is now available. Click here for more information on SABR 46 registration rates and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 46.
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, often includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, writers and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, major and minor league games, tours of historic ballparks, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Luncheon, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this spectacular and memorable event.
SABR 46 information
- Registration: Click here for complete information on SABR 46 registration rates and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 46! The regular registration rate is $229 for SABR members or $270 for non-members. A single-day rate is also available online or on-site for $99 per day. Please note: The early-bird discount and all-inclusive package are no longer available. Remember, you MUST have a ballgame ticket to enter Marlins Park for the special pregame ballpark session/tour on Friday, July 29.
- Hotel: Visit miami.regency.hyatt.com or call (305) 358-1234 to book your room at the Hyatt Regency Miami. Our SABR group rate of $129/night (plus tax) is no longer available. Our host hotel overlooks the Miami River and Florida’s famed Biscayne Bay, and it's just 15 minutes from South Beach and two miles from the Port of Miami. SABR 46 attendees will enjoy easy access to Miami’s best attractions like Mary Brickell Village, the James L. Knight Center, Coral Gables, and the Latin flavor of Little Havana.
- Pregame ballpark session/tour: SABR 46 attendees will have a special opportunity to visit Marlins Park for an exclusive pregame ballpark session with Miami Marlins executives and players, including Barry Bonds, Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson, Tony Perez, and ESPN's Eduardo Perez. Before the Marlins 7:10 p.m. game against the St. Louis Cardinals on Friday, July 29, a special SABR 46 panel discussion will take place at Marlins Park followed by a ballpark tour for convention attendees. Purchase of SABR 46 conference registration AND a game ticket will be required to attend this special session. Click here to learn more.
- Want to throw out the first pitch at Marlins Park? Thanks to the generosity of the Miami Marlins, anyone who makes a donation of $1,000 or more to the SABR General Fund between now and July 22 will have the opportunity to go on the field for batting practice before the Marlins game vs. the St. Louis Cardinals on Friday, July 29 at Marlins Park. Participating donors will also be entered into a drawing to throw out the first pitch at the Marlins game on July 29. This special opportunity is only available for up to six SABR donors (or a guest of your choosing.) Click here to learn more.
- Schedule: Click here for a detailed schedule for the SABR 46 convention.
- Speakers: Click here for a list of featured speakers and panelists at SABR 46.
- Research presentations: Click here for the full schedule of research presentations at SABR 46.
- Poster presentations: Click here for the list of poster presentations at SABR 46.
- Committee meetings: Click here for the schedule of research committee meetings at SABR 46.
- Yoseloff Scholarship: Click here to learn more about the Yoseloff Scholarship to attend SABR 46 in Miami.
- Vendors Room: Click here to visit our SABR 46 digital vendors room; come visit our supporters in Miami, too.
- Transportation Tips: Click here for more information on getting to and around Miami.
Top speakers and panelists
SABR 46 will have top featured speakers from around the baseball world, like front office executives, players, managers, scouts, writers and analysts. Here are some of our featured speakers and panelists:
- Michael Hill, Miami Marlins' President of Baseball Operations
At our special pregame ballpark session at Marlins Park on Friday, July 29, we will welcome some of baseball's all-time greatest players to SABR 46. The session will include:
- Barry Bonds, Marlins hitting coach and baseball's all-time home run champion
- Don Mattingly, Marlins manager and former All-Star first baseman
- Andre Dawson, Marlins front-office executive and Hall of Fame outfielder
- Tony Perez, Marlins front-office executive and Hall of Fame first baseman
- Eduardo Perez, ESPN analyst, former major-leaguer, and son of HOFer Tony Perez
Reminder: You must have a ballgame ticket to enter Marlins Park for the SABR 46 ballpark session.
Our convention in South Florida will also feature a distinct Latin flavor, with panels and presentations on many aspects of Latin-American baseball history. Stay tuned for more details on speakers and panelists at SABR 46.
- Jack McKeon, who managed the Marlins to the 2003 World Series and spent parts of 16 seasons as an MLB manager
- Juan Pierre, who spent 14 seasons in the majors and recorded more than 2,200 hits and 600 stolen bases
- Jeff Conine, known as "Mr. Marlin," the only player who was part of both World Series championship teams in 1997 and 2003.
- Moderator: Dave Van Horne, Ford Frick Award-winning broadcaster who has been the Marlins' primary radio play-by-play announcer since 2001
- Ozzie Guillen, the outspoken former major-league shortstop and manager who led the Chicago White Sox to the 2005 World Series championship
- Ernesto Jerez, an Emmy Award-winning play-by-play announcer for ESPN Deportes' “Sunday Night Baseball” since 1995
- Enrique Rojas, an ESPN Deportes reporter who has covered MLB and the winter leagues for more than 20 years
- Moderator: Leonte Landino, the chairman of SABR's Luis Castro/Latin America Chapter who produces all baseball properties on ESPN Deportes and writes for ESPNDeportes.com
- César Brioso, a digital producer for USA Today and the author of Havana Hardball: Spring Training, Jackie Robinson, and the Cuban League
- Peter C. Bjarkman, who is considered to be one of the foremost authorities on Cuban baseball history; he is the author of Cuba's Baseball Defectors: The Inside Story and A History of Cuban Baseball, 1864-2006
- Adrian Burgos Jr., a professor of history at the University of Illinois and the author of Cuban Star: How One Negro League Owner Changed the Face of Baseball and Playing America’s Game: Baseball, Latinos, and the Color Line
- Moderator: Anthony Salazar, chairman of SABR's Latino Baseball Research Committee and editor of its newsletter, La Prensa del Béisbol Latino
- Miguel “Mike” de la Hoz, former infielder who played parts of nine MLB seasons from 1960-69
- Leo Posada, outfielder for the Kansas City Athletics from 1960-62 and the uncle of Jorge Posada
- Jackie Hernandez, a shortstop who helped the Pittsburgh Pirates win the 1971 World Series
- Gonzalo "Cholly" Naranjo, who pitched for the Pirates in 1956.
- Moderator: Jose Campos
Click here for more information on our featured speakers and panelists. The complete schedule will be announced soon.
Get your copy of The National Pastime convention journal
All SABR 46 attendees will receive a souvenir print edition of The National Pastime, our annual convention journal, focusing on baseball teams, players and events in the Miami area. All SABR members, whether you attend the convention or not, will receive the expanded e-book edition of The National Pastime in their inboxes later this summer.
A note from our hosts
With unbridled excitement, the South Florida Chapter is looking forward to hosting the 2016 SABR national convention. We are thrilled to continue on the tradition of gathering SABR members from not only the four corners of the United States, but friends from other parts of the world, including Latin America, England, Australia, and Asia.
Miami is known for its vibrant diverse culture, international flair, and generous spirit of making all who come to the Magic City feel welcome. For the second time in SABR's history, the national convention will be held in Florida. Like most metropolitan areas, Miami has its own unique history with baseball: from the humble beginnings of town ball; to the first organized professional leagues beginning with the inclusion of the Miami Seminoles in the early 1910s, a long history of minor league baseball including teams competing in the Florida International League from Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Miami, and Miami Beach; the Miami Marlins of Bill Veeck and Satchel Paige competing in the International League, the training ground for upcoming talent in the Florida State League, as well as a rich history of spring training baseball dating back to the early 20th century.
Many exciting and informative sessions are being planned for SABR 46, including dozens of presentations with an array of interesting speakers, numerous panel discussions, and representatives from professional baseball, including the hometown Miami Marlins. In addition, the Philadelphia Phillies and St. Louis Cardinals will be in town in conjunction with the convention, and ballgame outings will be planned for all to enjoy at beautiful Marlins Park.
For those of you who are interested in other local goings-on, outside activities will be coordinated so everyone can partake and absorb the Miami experience. Suggestions for local eateries, museums, and local hot spots will be provided.
As we like to say, Bienvenidos a Miami.
Many happy innings,
Chair, South Florida Chapter
- 2015 convention coverage: For complete coverage of SABR 45 in Chicago, click here
- Convention history: For a multimedia look at every SABR convention since 1971, click here