Register now for the SABR Black Sox Scandal Centennial Symposium in Chicago
Register now to join us for the SABR Black Sox Scandal Centennial Symposium on September 27-29, 2019, in Chicago. The SABR Black Sox Scandal Research Committee will host this once-in-a-century event to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1919 World Series.
The event — which is open to all baseball fans — will be highlighted by a research symposium on Saturday, September 28 at the Chicago History Museum. The museum is home to an extensive collection of Black Sox artifacts and documents, and we'll gather in the beautiful Morse Genius Chicago Room event space to discuss the continued relevance of the 1919 World Series and its aftermath. A book signing with SABR authors, including our own Scandal on the South Side: The 1919 Chicago White Sox, will follow. More details on panels and presentations will be announced soon.
Our special All-Inclusive Package ($45 for SABR members, $60 for non-members) includes admission to the Black Sox Scandal symposium at the Chicago History Museum; a ticket to the Chicago White Sox doubleheader on Friday, September 27; and a guided walking tour of downtown Chicago baseball history sites.
Registration for the symposium only is $20 for SABR members, $25 for non-members. Extra tickets to the White Sox doubleheader are $20 each and the walking tour (Sunday only; the Friday tour is now sold out) is $10 each. The All-Inclusive Package and our White Sox ticket block are only available until August 13 or when all tour/game tickets are sold out, whichever comes first. Click here to register!
Following the symposium, from 8:00-10:00 p.m. on Saturday evening, we will also gather for a reception at the historic Nisei Lounge near Wrigley Field. The reception is included in your symposium registration.
The full schedule is available below. For questions or more information, please contact Jacob Pomrenke at email@example.com.
Sign up now to receive email announcements from the Black Sox Scandal committee for updates on the centennial symposium.
- Read more: Check out SABR's new Eight Myths Out project to dive deeper into the Black Sox Scandal for the 100th anniversary
SABR Black Sox Scandal Centennial Symposium
Schedule of Events
Friday, September 27
- 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Chicago baseball history walking tour #1 — SOLD OUT!
- Meet at Chicago Public Library's Harold Washington Branch, 400 S. State St. Limited to first 50 people who sign up.
- 3:40-10:00 p.m.: White Sox vs. Tigers doubleheader, Guaranteed Rate Field, 333 W. 35th St.
Note: Because this game has been rescheduled from a single game at 7:05 p.m. to a traditional doubleheader beginning at 3:40 p.m., we will meet from 2:30-3:10 p.m. at "home plate" of Old Comiskey Park in the north parking lot. Our ticket block is in the Upper Box Reserved section (#534.) The second game will begin approximately 30 minutes after the first game ends. Anyone with an unclaimed ticket or who is attending only Game 2 can pick up their tickets from the will-call window after 3:15 p.m.
Saturday, September 28
- 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Black Sox Scandal Centennial Symposium at Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark Street.
- 1:00-5:00 p.m.: Book signings/museum visit afterward. (Museum admission is included in your registration.)
- 8:00-10:00 p.m.: Evening reception (cash bar), Nisei Lounge, 3439 N. Sheffield Ave.
Sunday, September 29
- 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Chicago baseball history walking tour #2
Meet at Chicago Public Library's Harold Washington Branch, 400 S. State St. Limited to first 50 people who sign up.
Note: If you are traveling to Chicago for this event, click here for a list of recommended hotels in Downtown/Loop, Lincoln Park, and Wrigleyville.
This page was last updated July 8, 2019 at 11:46 pm MST.