SABR Digital Library: ¡Arriba! The Heroic Life of Roberto Clemente
Add a new baseball book to your collection from the SABR Digital Library:
¡Arriba! The Heroic Life of Roberto Clemente
¡Arriba! La Heroica Vida de Roberto Clemente
Edited by Bill Nowlin and Glen Sparks
Associate Editors: Len Levin and Carl Riechers
Spanish translations: Tony Oliver Díaz
ISBN (English ebook): 978-1-970159-87-5, $9.99
ISBN (English paperback): 978-1-970159-88-2, $34.95
ISBN (ebook en Español): 978-1-970159-87-5, $9.99
ISBN (paperback en Español): 978-1-970159-88-2, $34.95
8.5″ x 11″, 338 pages
The year 2022 marks the 50th anniversary year of Roberto Clemente’s final year in major-league baseball. ¡Arriba! The Heroic Life of Roberto Clemente celebrates his life and his baseball career.
The first universally acknowledged Latino inductee into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Clemente played every one of his 18 seasons for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He became the 11th player to reach the 3,000-hit milestone, finishing his final season by hitting number 3000 on the season’s last day. Named to 15 All-Star Game squads, Clemente also won 12 Gold Gloves, four batting titles, and was the National League’s Most Valuable Player in 1966. He was twice a World Series champion, winning with the Pirates in both 1960 and 1971.
But off the baseball diamond, Clemente was known for his charitable work. He lost his life on the final day of 1972 while working to provide relief for victims of an earthquake in Nicaragua. He was aboard a plane loaded with relief supplies — the fourth such plane he had helped to stock — and had decided to accompany the flight personally to ensure the supplies were reaching those in need of aid and not merely falling into the hands of profiteers. The plane crashed immediately after takeoff from Puerto Rico, a tragic loss for baseball and the world.
This book is the collaborative work of 41 SABR members. Examining Clemente’s baseball career, the book includes recaps of many of Clemente’s greatest games, as well as chapters on his relationship with the press, his connections to Nicaragua and players such as Monte Irvin, and his continuing effects on players from Latin America as a role model today.
Contributors include: Malcolm Allen, Jeff Barto, Gary Belleville, John Blankstein, Steve Bratkovich, Thomas J. Brown Jr., Frederick C. Bush, Richard Cuicchi, Mark Davis, Peter Dreier, Robert Elias, Howard Elson, James Forr, John Fredland, Steve Ginader, Duke Goldman, Vince Guerrieri, Andrew Harner, Jane S. Hewitt, Thomas E. Kern, Justin Krueger, Alex Kukura, Kevin Larkin, Joe Leisek, Len Levin, Norman L. Macht, Michael Marsh, Emmanuel Mehr, Kellen Nielson, Bill Nowlin, Tony S. Oliver, Tim Otto, Zac Petrillo, Richard J. Puerzer, Carl Riechers, Juan Jose Rodriguez, Benjamin Sabin, Mark Simon, Glen Sparks, Wayne Strumpfer, Stew Thornley, Thomas E. Van Hyning, Steven C. Weiner, and Gregory H. Wolf.
“¡Arriba! La Heróica Vida de Roberto Clemente” se publica en el 50mo aniversario de su trágica muerte tras su última temporada en las grandes ligas. El primer latino electo al Salón de la Fama, Clemente jugó cada una de sus 18 campañas con los Piratas de Pittsburgh.
Precisó 3,000 indiscutibles y ganó cuatro títulos de bateo. Seleccionado a 15 Juegos de Estrellas, Clemente ganó 12 Guantes de Oro y fue nombrado el Jugador Más Valioso de la Liga Nacional en 1966. Dos veces lideró a su franquicia a la victoria en la Serie Mundial, en 1960 y 1971. La gestión humanitaria de Clemente fue reconocida por sus contemporáneos. La muerte le sorprendió cuando transportaba suministros de emergencia para los damnificados de un terrible terremoto en Nicaragua.
Este tomo recopila ensayos de 41 miembros de la Sociedad Americana de Investigación sobre el Béisbol (SABR), celebrando la vida y la carrera de Clemente como pelotero.
SABR members, get this e-book for FREE!
- E-book: Click here to download the e-book version of ¡Arriba! The Heroic Life of Roberto Clemente for FREE from the SABR Store. Available in PDF, MOBI, EPUB/Kindle formats.
- Paperback: Get a 50% discount on the ¡Arriba! The Heroic Life of Roberto Clemente paperback edition from the SABR Store ($17.95 includes shipping/tax; delivery via Amazon Kindle Direct can take up to 4-6 weeks.)
Buy the book
- E-book: Click here to download the e-book version of ¡Arriba! The Heroic Life of Roberto Clemente for $9.99 from the SABR Store. Available in PDF, MOBI, and EPUB/Kindle formats.
- Paperback: Get the paperback edition of ¡Arriba! The Heroic Life of Roberto Clemente from the SABR Store ($34.95 includes shipping/tax; delivery via Amazon Kindle Direct can take up to 4-6 weeks.)
- Libro electrónico: Haga clic aquí para descargar ¡Arriba! La Heroica Vida de Roberto Clemente en español de forma gratuita desde la tienda SABR.
- Libro en rústica: Obtener un descuento del 50% en ¡Arriba! La Heroica Vida de Roberto Clemente de la tienda SABR ($17.95 incluye envío/impuestos).
About the SABR Digital Library
For more than 40 years, SABR and its members have led the way in publishing the best baseball historical and statistical research. Our publications program is shifting to take advantage of new methods of publishing. Not only will we continue to publish new books like Can He Play? A Look At Baseball Scouts and Their Profession (2011); Inventing Baseball: The 100 Greatest Games of the 19th Century (2013); Scandal on the South Side: The 1919 Chicago White Sox (2015); Au jeu/Play Ball: The 50 Greatest Games in the History of the Montreal Expos (2016); The Pride of Smoketown: The 1935 Pittsburgh Crawfords (2020); and Jackie Robinson: Perspectives on 42 (2021), which showcase the best efforts of SABR’s members, chapters and committees, but new technology makes it possible for us to bring out-of-print titles like The Fenway Project (2013); Go-Go to Glory: The 1959 Chicago White Sox (2019); and Green Cathedrals (2020) back again.
Visit SABR.org/ebooks to find all past titles and download your favorites. Books will be available in digital formats as well as paperbacks produced by “print on demand” (POD).
SABR members can download all Digital Library e-book editions for free and save 50% on purchase of the paperback editions. If you’re not a member, click here to join SABR.
Stay tuned throughout the year for new (and old!) titles that we’ll be adding to the SABR Digital Library. To learn more about SABR Publications, contact Publications Editor Cecilia Tan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Having trouble downloading our e-books? To view PDF files on your computer, click here to download the free Adobe Reader software. Having trouble downloading e-books to your Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader or iPad? Click here for additional help.
- Note for Kindle users: Beginning in August 2022, Amazon will no longer allow Kindle users to send new MOBI files to their Kindle library. (Any MOBI files already in your Kindle library will not be affected by this change.) Compatible formats for Kindle e-readers now include EPUB (.epub), which you can download and send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. Amazon will also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.
Originally published: September 27, 2022. Last Updated: January 20, 2023.