SABR Arizona Fall League Conference
The sixth annual SABR Arizona Fall League Conference will be held October 30-November 1, 2014. The conference will feature four AFL games, including one at new Cubs Park in Mesa. We'll also have dinner at Don and Charlie's in Scottsdale, home to one of the great sports memorabilia collections you will ever see, and a special evening with members of the Arizona Major League Alumni, including Bobby Knoop, Dave Hilton, Lou Klimchock, Ron Davis, Mark Littell, Leon Brown, Bob Lacey, and Jack Heidemann.
On Saturday morning, attendees will join members of SABR's Flame Delhi (Arizona) Chapter for their regional fall meeting. Saturday night is always a highlight of the conference as the top prospects from every organization participate in the AFL Fall Stars game at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick. All of this, including transportation, is included in one low registration price.
Learn more about Arizona baseball history by downloading Mining Towns to Major Leagues: A History of Arizona Baseball, SABR's 1999 convention journal that was recently republished as an e-book at the Flame Delhi Chapter's website, SABRAZ.org.
The Arizona Fall League (mlbfallball.com) is baseball's premier player development league. In the first five years of the conference, attendees were treated to sneak peeks at Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Buster Posey, Starlin Castro, Stephen Strasburg, Nolan Arenado, and Billy Hamilton before they hit the big leagues.
- Related link: MLB announces preliminary AFL rosters for 2014 season
All baseball fans are welcome to attend, so join us in October for the SABR Arizona Fall League Conference.
Here are the details:
SABR Arizona Fall League Conference
October 30-November 1, 2014, Scottsdale, AZ
Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Old Town Scottsdale
3131 N. Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Conference room rate: $99/night (plus tax). Click the link above and use Group Code "SAB" to book your room online or call the hotel at (480) 675-7665 and mention the "SABR AFL Conference." Reservations must be booked by September 29, 2014, to get the SABR group rate.
Great hotel in a great spot! Every room is a two-room suite with two flat screen televisions, free wireless and connected internet, a refrigerator and a microwave. There is a complimentary shuttle which also is available from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. for rides anywhere within a three-mile radius of the hotel. (Shuttle to and from the airport is $10.)
Note: In order to confirm a room assignment, Holiday Inn Express requires a credit card prepayment of your first night’s deposit, refundable up to 7 days in advance of your arrival date. Major credit cards are acceptable to establish prepayment. All credit cards used to prepay will be charged immediately. The hotel will deduct any collected nonrefundable prepayment fees from the amount you may owe as performance or cancellation damages. The cut-off date for hotel rooms is September 29, 2014. The rate is $99 + tax per night.
Your registration fee includes all game tickets; an AFL Media Guide; dinner at Don and Charlie’s; a special evening with Arizona Major League Alumni; and transportation to and from all events. Hotel registration includes breakfast and complimentary happy hour each day. Questions: Contact Rodney Johnson at email@example.com.
A la carte registration:
AFL Conference attendees may also choose to register for individual events instead of the full conference. Here are the events available:
- Thursday, October 30: AFL game ticket/ballpark dinner at Salt River, $30 per person
- Friday, October 31: Dinner at Don and Charlie's with AZ Major League Alumni, $40 per person
- Saturday, November 1: Game ticket to AFL Fall Stars Game at Salt River, $7 per person
To register online, click here. Under the required ticket field, choose the "a la carte pricing only" option and then select your optional tickets below.
Thursday, October 30
- 9:00-10:15 a.m.: Registration
- 10:30 a.m.: Depart hotel for tour of Cubs Park
- 11:00 a.m.: Tour of Cubs Park spring training facility in Mesa
- 12:35 p.m.: Scottsdale Scorpions at Mesa Solar Sox (Cubs Park)
- 3:30 p.m.: Return to Holiday Inn Express
- 4:30 p.m.: Depart for dinner and game at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick
- 5:00 p.m.: Ballpark dinner and guest speaker
- 6:35 p.m.: Surprise Saguaros at Salt River Rafters (Salt River Fields)
- 9:00 p.m.: Return to hotel.
Friday, October 31
- 11:30 a.m.: Depart hotel for game
- 12:35 p.m.: Scottsdale Scorpions at Salt River Rafters (Salt River Fields)
- 3:30 p.m.: Return to Holiday Inn Express.
- 5:00-6:00 p.m.: Complementary beer and wine happy hour at hotel
- 7:15 p.m.: Depart for Don and Charlie’s
- 7:30 p.m.: Dinner with members of the Arizona Major League Alumni, including Bobby Knoop, Dave Hilton, Lou Klimchock, Ron Davis, Mark Littell, Leon Brown, Bob Lacey, and Jack Heidemann
- 10:00 p.m.: Return to Holiday Inn Express.
Saturday, November 1
- 10:00 a.m-12:30 p.m.: Flame Delhi Chapter meeting at Holiday Inn Express. Guest speakers and chapter members' research to be presented.
- 12:30-3:15 p.m.: On your own for lunch or to explore the shops of Old Town Scottsdale. Free hotel shuttle available.
- 3:30 p.m.: Depart for Fall Stars Game.
- 5:10 p.m.: Fall Stars Game (Salt River Fields)
- 8:15 p.m.: Return to Holiday Inn Express.
For stories and photos from past AFL Conferences, click on a link below: