Couldn't make it to Arizona for the inaugural SABR Analytics Conference? Visit SABR.org/analytics for full coverage of this exciting event that brought together the top minds in the baseball analytics community for the first time. You'll feel like you're wandering through the Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa with stories and multimedia clips from the great panel discussions and research presentations on our schedule, photo galleries, and much more.
- During the conference, you could follow along on Twitter by searching for the hashtag #SABRanalytics or by reading tweets from our account (@SABR) and from other conference attendees.
- View our photo galleries from each day of the conference at SABR.org/analytics/photos/2012.
The SABR Analytics Conference, presented by Bloomberg Sports and Major League Baseball, was held March 15-17, 2012, at the Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa, 1011 West Holmes Avenue, Mesa, AZ 85210.
For highlights of the inaugural SABR Analytics Conference in 2012, watch the video below:
If you like what you see here, we hope you'll join SABR and be a part of the next SABR Analytics Conference, which will be bigger and better than ever!
Around the Web
- Click here for recaps of the inaugural SABR Analytics Conference from Jay Jaffe, Dave Cameron, David Fung, Corey Brock and many more
- Watch an episode of Bloomberg TV's "Sportfolio" from the SABR Analytics Conference (video)
- Watch a "Clubhouse Confidential" segment on the history of sabermetrics and SABR's role in it (video)
- Watch a "Clubhouse Confidential" segment on how major league teams are embracing statistical analysis (video)
- SABR president Vince Gennaro is interviewed by "Clubhouse Confidential" host Brian Kenny (video)
- "Clubhouse Confidential": Angels GM Jerry Dipoto delves into the stats (video)
- "Clubhouse Confidential" Cubs owner Tom Ricketts on leadership, Wrigley (video)
Day 1: Thursday, March 15, 2012
- Listen to Oakland's Brandon McCarthy talk about how analytics has changed his approach to the game (with video/audio)
- Listen to the Changing Face of Baseball Data panel talk about the future of analytics (with audio)
- Listen to research presentations from Dave Studenmund, Vince Gennaro, Brian Cartwright and J.C. Bradbury (with audio)
- Photos from Day 1 at the SABR Analytics Conference can be found here
Day 2: Friday, March 16, 2012
- Listen to the Indians' Chris Antonetti, the Brewers' Doug Melvin and the Angels' Jerry Dipoto discuss analytics in our General Managers panel (with video/audio)
- Listen to our exclusive Q&A with Chicago Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts (with audio)
- Listen to our Retrospective Look at Baseball Analysis panel with John Thorn, Gary Gillette, Dick Cramer and moderator Sean Forman (with audio)
- Listen to Derek Carty (Baseball Prospectus), Craig Glaser (Bloomberg Sports) and Eno Sarris (FanGraphs) in our Fantasy Baseball panel (with audio)
- Listen to the "Clubhouse Confidential" panel with Dave Cameron (FanGraphs), Jay Jaffe (Baseball Prospectus), Rob Neyer (Baseball Nation) and Vince Gennaro (with audio)
- Listen to research presentations from Hillary Superak, Greg Rybarczyk, Andy Andres/Jason Lefkowitz and Graham Goldbeck (with audio)
- Meet the four schools that advanced to the finals of the SABR Case Competition
- Photos from Day 2 at the SABR Analytics Conference can be found here
Day 3: Saturday, March 17, 2012
- Listen to Cleveland Indians president Mark Shapiro in an exclusive Q&A with Ken Rosenthal (with video/audio)
- Listen to the Scouting and Analytics Panel with A.J. Hinch (Padres), Corrine Vitolo (SmartKage), Joe Bohringer (Cubs) and moderator Dan Migala (with audio)
- Listen to the Digital World Meets Baseball Information panel with Rob Shaw (Bloomberg), Jeff Bennett (ESPN), Ryan Zander (Sportvision) and moderator Michele Steele (ESPN) (with audio)
- Listen to research presentations from Dave Cameron and John Dewan/Ben Jedlovec (with audio)
- University of Chicago wins inaugural SABR Case Competition
- Photos from Day 3 at the SABR Analytics Conference can be found here
- Check out a sampling of top tweets from #SABRanalytics at Storify.com
About the conference
SABR has a long and storied history with baseball statistical analysis, evidenced by the link between our name and sabermetrics. While SABR is a multi-faceted organization involved in virtually every aspect of baseball, we have taken a major step to re-connect with our beginnings by producing and hosting the inaugural SABR Analytics Conference, presented by Bloomberg Sports and Major League Baseball.
This event is a natural for SABR. Never before have as many of the top minds of the baseball analytic community come under one roof to discuss, debate and share learnings of insightful ways to analyze and examine the great game of baseball.
The SABR Analytics Conference was held Thursday, March 15 through Saturday, March 17, 2012, at the Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa in Arizona. The schedule consisted of a combination of Guest Speakers, Panels and Research Presentations — plus the inaugural SABR Case Competition, in which undergraduate and graduate students from across the country analyzed and presented a real baseball operations decision.
Our long history in this area of baseball research, coupled with our mission of advancing the understanding and the knowledge of baseball makes us the perfect choice to coordinate and host such a ground-breaking event.
- Speakers: Featured speakers included: Tom Ricketts, Chairman, Chicago Cubs; Derrick Hall, President/CEO, Arizona Diamondbacks; Mark Shapiro, President, Cleveland Indians; Chris Antonetti, Executive Vice President/General Manager, Cleveland Indians; Jerry Dipoto, Senior Vice President/General Manager, Los Angeles Angels; Doug Melvin, Executive Vice President/General Manager, Milwaukee Brewers; and more. Click here for a complete list of speakers, panelists and moderators.
- Schedule/Topics: Some of the topics we covered include: how technology is changing baseball; how analytics has changed the game; how analytics shapes the decisions made by general managers; measuring and predicting player performance; technology and in-game strategy; the future of analytics, including the Hit f/x and Field f/x tools; how scouting and analytics are compatible; what we can all learn from fantasy baseball; how much is "too much" when it comes to using analytics; and an open forum with Baseball-Reference.com founder Sean Forman. Click here for a complete schedule, including audio and photos of the Panel Discussions and Research Presentations.
- Case Competition: Graduate students from Business schools and Sports Management programs, as well as undergraduates from across the country, competed against each other by preparing an analysis and presentation of a real baseball operations decision — the type of decision a team's GM and staff is faced with over the course of a season. Click here to learn more about the 2012 competition, won by the University of Chicago.