Couldn’t make it to Arizona for the seventh annual SABR Analytics Conference? At SABR.org/analytics/2018, we have full coverage of this exciting event that brings together the top minds in the baseball analytics community in 2018. You’ll feel like you were wandering through the Hyatt Regency Phoenix with stories and highlights from the great panel discussions and research presentations on our schedule, photo galleries, and much more.
- During the conference, you could follow along on Twitter by searching for the hashtag #SABRanalytics or by reading tweets from our account (@SABR) and from other conference attendees.
- View our photo galleries from each day of the 2018 conference at SABR.org/analytics/photos/2018.
For more highlights from the 2018 SABR Analytics Conference, click on a link below:
Friday, March 9
- Listen to highlights from The State of Analytics conversation with Brian Kenny and Jon Sciambi (audio)
- Listen to highlights from the MLB Team Approach to Analytics Panel with Amiel Sawdaye, Eduardo Perez, Eno Sarris, Mike Ferrin, and Vince Gennaro (audio)
- Listen to a research presentation from Sean Forman of Baseball-Reference.com (audio)
- Diamond Dollars Case Competition winners announced
- Max Mannis: Slow market, ‘tanking’ on the table for SABR Analytics MLB Team Approach Panel
- Check out a photo gallery from Day 1 of the 2018 SABR Analytics Conference
- Mike Petriello: Star catchers shine in new Statcast metrics (MLB.com)
- Mike Petriello: MLB Diversity program sends 21 students to SABR Analytics Conference (MLB.com)
- Brian Kenny: Interview with Arizona Diamondbacks Sr. VP/Assistant GM Amiel Sawdaye (MLB.com)
Saturday, March 10
- Listen to highlights from the Player Development Panel with Chris Getz, Andy McKay, and Eduardo Perez (audio)
- Listen to highlights from the Diverse Perspectives Panel with Dr. Lorena Martin, Philip Cho, Ehsan Bokhari, Emilee Fragapane, and Vince Gennaro (audio)
- Listen to highlights from the Is the Media Doing its Part to Advance the Analytics Discussion? panel with Jon Sciambi, Rob Neyer, Eno Sarris, and Brian Kenny (audio)
- Listen to research presentations from Vince Gennaro, Brian Reiff, Matt Swartz, and Rob Mains (audio)
- Pete Palmer honored with 2018 SABR Analytics Conference Lifetime Achievement Award
- Check out a photo gallery from Day 2 of the 2018 SABR Analytics Conference
- Max Mannis: SABR Analytics Media Panel focuses on educating players, broadcasters
- Brian Kenny: Interview with The Athletic’s Eno Sarris on the state of the offseason (MLB.com)
- Rob Mains: A revised look at clutch hitting (Baseball Prospectus)
- J.P. Hoornstra: Dodgers’ Brandon Gomes will maintain familiar approach to player development (Orange County Register)
Sunday, March 11
- Listen to highlights from the Technology Panel with Jeremy Booth, Jarett Sims, Matt Reiland, and Brett Kurland (audio)
- Check out highlights from the Pitching Panel with Eric Gagné, Ed Lynch, and Barry Bloom
- Listen to research presentations from Travis Petersen, Glenn Healey, Mark Simon, Alex Vigderman, and Dorion Liston (audio)
- Emma Baccellieri, Stephanie Springer, Grant Brisbee win 2018 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards
- Check out a photo gallery from Day 3 of the 2018 SABR Analytics Conference
- Max Mannis: SABR Analytics Technology Panel discusses challenges of bringing players, colleges on board
- Brian Kenny: Interview with Daren Willman on MLB Statcast updates (MLB.com)
- Bradford Doolittle: The slow demystification of defensive stats (ESPN.com)
- Joe Favorito: How to win in baseball business? Multilingual clubhouse is key (Portada Online)
- Jordan Lazowski: What I learned at the 2018 SABR Analytics Conference (NGBaseball.com
About the SABR Analytics Conference
SABR has a long and storied history with baseball statistical analysis, evidenced by the link between our name and sabermetrics. While SABR is a multi-faceted organization involved in virtually every aspect of baseball, we have taken a major step to re-connect with our beginnings by producing and hosting the seventh annual SABR Analytics Conference.
Once again, we’ve brought together the top minds of the baseball analytic community under one roof to discuss, debate and share insightful ways to analyze and examine the great game of baseball.
The schedule consists of a combination of Guest Speakers, Panels, and Research Presentations — plus the unique Diamond Dollars Case Competition, in which undergraduate, graduate and law school students from across the country analyze and present a real baseball operations decision.
You can download the digital program for the 2018 SABR Analytics Conference by clicking here (PDF).
The 2018 SABR Analytics Conference was held Friday, March 9 through Sunday, March 11 at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, 122 N. 2nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85004.
- Click here for biographies of our featured speakers, panelists, and moderators.
- Click here for the full schedule of research presentations, including presenter bios and abstracts.
SABR’s long history in this area of baseball research, coupled with our mission of advancing the understanding and knowledge of baseball, makes us the perfect choice to coordinate and host this ground-breaking event.