Hanson Horsey

This article was written by Jack Zerby

Hanson Horsey (EASTERN SHORE BASEBALL HALL OF FAME)Hanson “Hans” Horsey had a whirlwind four-inning cup of coffee with the 1912 Cincinnati Reds as a 22-year-old pitcher tasked with “taking one for the team” in an April blowout loss. But the slightly-built (5-foot-11, 165 pounds)1 right-hander, drafted after two seasons in Class-B baseball, pitched six more seasons in the minor leagues before returning home to the Maryland Eastern Shore and becoming an umpire who mentored three future major-league arbiters.2

Born in Galena,3 Kent County, Maryland, on November 26, 1889, Hanson Horsey4 was the third of four sons of Thomas Hopewell Horsey and Mary Elizabeth “Mollie” Raisin Horsey. Thomas was a native Marylander; Mollie was born in Missouri. Both had English ancestral roots. Hanson’s brothers were Unit Raisin Horsey, born in 1878; Thomas Hopewell Horsey (1884), and Palmer Keene Horsey (1892). At least with regard to their first two sons, Thomas and Mollie stayed with family names: Mollie’s father was Unit Raisin, and their second son received Thomas’s name.5

The family surname was a fairly common one in Maryland; a genealogical column in the July 23, 1905, Baltimore Sun is devoted to “the Horsey family of England, a right ancient and noble family of knights from which the Maryland family of the same name is unquestionably descended.”6 The name remains common to the present, especially in the Maryland Eastern Shore. The Eastern Shore is part of the Delmarva Peninsula, a spit of land encompassing Delaware and the portions of Maryland and Virginia east of Chesapeake Bay. Hanson Horsey’s birthplace, Galena, is in the northern part of the Eastern Shore and due east of Baltimore, across the Bay, but 80 miles by highway via US Route 50/301 and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Galena had a population of 266 in 1890, the year following Hanson’s birth. It remains small, with an estimated 2016 population just under 600.7

The elder Thomas Horsey died at age 49 in 1894, leaving Mollie a widow with three sons age 10 or younger. By the time Hanson was ready for secondary school, means were available to send him to the prestigious Charlotte Hall Military Academy, founded as Charlotte Hall School in 1774 on the southern Maryland mainland.8 Hanson played baseball there and by age 15 in 1905 was pitching in the summers for town teams in Galena and Millington, back on the Eastern Shore.9

In the spring of 1907 Horsey was named captain of the Charlotte Hall team.10 Charlotte Hall apparently played in fast company, because the Chestertown (Maryland) Transcript edition of July 24, 1907, tabbed him “the best college pitcher in the state.”11 Horsey had played summer baseball for the Bettertown, Maryland, semipros in 1906, was a player-manager there in 1907 and 1909,12 and also found time to “pitch great ball” for semipro teams in Seaford, Delaware, and Cambridge, Maryland, during the 1907-09 span.13

Buck Herzog, a Baltimore native who spent 13 seasons in the majors, debuted with the 1908 New York Giants; that same season he saw Horsey pitch on the Eastern Shore and “strongly” recommended him as someone who “should make good.”14 That was enough to earn Horsey a roster spot for 1910 with the Reading (Pennsylvania) Pretzels, an unaffiliated club in the Class-B Tri-State League.15

The 20-year-old got his professional baptism in an exhibition start for Reading against Albright College on April 28; he allowed only one hit in five innings in a 3-0 win.16 On May 6 Horsey went nine tough innings at home as the Pretzels’ starter against Lancaster, taking a no-decision when Reading needed 10 innings to win, 2-1.17 Six days later, “apart from wildness in spots [Horsey] pitched a splendid game and was a complete puzzle to [the] Johnstown batters,” getting a 9-5 win.18 Horsey allowed only a single hit through the first eight innings against Harrisburg on June 7 before yielding two more but winning a three-hit shutout.19 Harrisburg was once again the victim on August 16 as he spun a five-hit, 2-0, shutout against the Senators in the first game of a doubleheader and was “master of the game from start to finish.”20

These were the high points, though, as the diminutive righty managed only a 7-15 (.318) record in 31 appearances. Reading finished seventh in the eight-team league at 45-65 (.409), 27 games behind pennant-winning Altoona.

It was enough, however, for Reading to re-sign Horsey for 1911. This time, both he and the team improved. Lefty Jake Northrop21 (27-4 in 35 games) and Horsey (22-10 in 33 games) paced the Pretzels to the 1911 Tri-State League pennant, clinched on September 1 with a 7-5 win over second-place Trenton. Horsey started that game but pitched ineffectively and was relieved after 2⅔ innings by George Washington “Buck” Ramsey,22 who held the fort until Reading scored six runs in the eighth inning to pull out the win.23

To inaugurate the 1911 season, Horsey once again started and won Reading’s exhibition game against Albright College. On May 11, Harrisburg knocked him out in the third inning as he got no decision, but the next day, “if Hanson Horsey had nothing Thursday, he had it yesterday [Friday].” In that May 12 no-rest start he went the complete nine innings in a 7-3 win over Harrisburg that moved Reading into a first-place tie with Trenton in the early Tri-State League going.24 On June 12, he lost a 2-1 decision in 10 innings at home when York catcher Dick Carter homered “with darkness gathering rapidly.” Reading couldn’t score in the bottom of the inning; Horsey suffered the indignity of making his team’s last out.25 He was back on track and “continuing to show that he has the goods” on July 5 as he won 7-3 at Altoona, keeping Reading in first place, 3½ games ahead of Trenton.26

Both Horsey and Northrop benefited from their fine seasons and the team’s success by being selected in the major-league Rule 5 draft on September 1, 1911. Horsey was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds, Northrop by the Chicago Cubs. “Both are expected to make good. It was their magnificent box work last season that enabled Reading to make the Tri-State League race a runaway one.”27

The Reds followed up their draft of Horsey by signing him for 1912, and by late February he was with “the first squad of the Red brigade” departing Union Station in Cincinnati for spring training in Columbus, Georgia.28 Former major-league pitcher, then umpire, and ultimately Hall of Famer Hank O’Day was the club’s new manager.29 “This kid [Horsey] is the smallest of the recruit pitchers and might have been overlooked by a less astute leader than Hank, but O’Day had him spotted at once and his judgment is now being verified.”30 The word from early camp was that “Horsey has a fine fast ball to go with his curve and looks better and more promising every day.”31

A month later, Horsey was still drawing raves. On March 25 he pitched the last five innings of a 4-1 exhibition win over the Birmingham Barons “in excellent style, allowing one scratch hit and no sign of a run, second base being as far as the enemy could penetrate during his incumbency.”32 But on April 9, as the Reds broke camp and played their final spring game against the Detroit Tigers, Horsey “was not so successful. His support was discouraging, which may have had something to do with his comparatively poor showing, for he has been going well heretofore and looked to have a good deal of stuff.”33

With a workhorse starting rotation of George Suggs, Rube Benton, and Art Fromme, who totaled 901 innings in 1912, manager O’Day didn’t need to be in a hurry to use rookie pitchers. The Reds opened their National League season at home against the Cubs on April 11 and rolled to an 8-2 record over the next two weeks. But on Saturday, April 27, at Pittsburgh in only their third road game of the season, Fromme gave up six earned runs on six hits to the Pirates in the first inning and O’Day pulled him. Fellow rookie Bill Prough, who had been used in tandem with Horsey through spring training, got the call for his first major-league action. Prough yielded five more runs, with only two earned, on seven hits through another three innings, and at the end of four Pittsburgh led, 11-0.

Predictably from his spring tendencies, O’Day summoned Horsey for the fifth inning and his own major-league debut. Facing the bottom of the order, the smallish righty got off to an encouraging start, retiring the first batter he faced, Alex McCarthy, on a foul pop to first baseman Dick Hoblitzell before pinch-hitter Mike Simon singled to center. Horsey dug in and got Howie Camnitz, the Pittsburgh pitcher, on a fly to right field. But then the order turned over — Bobby Byrne doubled Simon to third and they both scored on a single by Max Carey, who stole second base with Tommy Leach batting. Leach, though, ended the inning with a popup to second base.

Horsey gave up two more runs in the Pittsburgh sixth. The damage was largely inflicted by Honus Wagner, who singled, stole second base, was bunted to third, then scored on a double steal with McCarthy, who had reached on a walk. The Pirates again scored twice in their seventh, but the roof really collapsed for Horsey in the eighth, when 12 Pirates came to the plate and six scored. O’Day let Horsey absorb it all and the rookie at least had the satisfaction of picking Wagner off third base for the second out.34 The sub-head for the second page of the Pittsburgh Press’s game story summed things up nicely: “Pirates Murder Three Pitchers and Score at Will.”35

Horsey’s less-than-stellar outing obviously dulled the hopes O’Day had for him in spring training. He kept Horsey with the club, but off the mound in competition, until May 21, when he was “released to the Altoona club of the Tri-State League. He needs one more year of seasoning. He is too promising to be allowed to slip away, so a string was retained on him and he will probably be recalled in the fall.”36

So for Horsey it was back to Class B and the Tri-State League again. Cincinnati had sent him to Altoona, and he pitched for them until in-season financial difficulties resulted in a franchise move back to more familiar surroundings — Reading — for Horsey. After briefly being an Altoona Ram, he was again a member of the Reading Pretzels. But it wasn’t for long. The Allentown Morning Call announced on July 3 that Allentown had traded pitcher Art Rasmussen to Reading for Horsey, who would be rejoining his old manager, Bill Coughlin.37

Horsey turned in a 12-9 record in 26 games for Altoona, Reading, and Allentown after his demotion from Cincinnati. Despite his 1912 tour of Pennsylvania, he found time to become engaged to marry Marian Lockerman of Millington, Maryland, an Eastern Shore town nine miles south of Galena. Horsey had pitched for the town team there as a schoolboy. The July 6, 1912, Allentown Leader made the announcement, noting that “the star pitcher of the Allentown Tri-State League team” would be postponing the wedding, “which was to take place next week,” because of Allentown’s travel schedule.38

The postponement extended longer than anticipated. Although the wedding still took place during the baseball season, it was the following summer — August 28, 1913, in Millington. The wedding was announced in a small item in a Delaware newspaper under Elkton, Maryland, news on September 2.39 The item noted that the couple would reside in Galena. Over their 36-year marriage Hanson and Marian had one child, Hanson Horsey Jr., born in 1914.

Horsey apparently hadn’t shown enough improvement to warrant the late-season 1912 recall at least one Cincinnati writer had predicted. He opened the 1913 season still in the Tri-State League with Allentown and lost a tough early-season 1-0 decision at Wilmington on May 1.40 But he was soon on the move again to yet another Tri-State League club, the Trenton Tigers. By June 28, “recently acquired via the trade route from Allentown,” he was pitching at home for Trenton against Atlantic City.41 When the 1913 Tri-State season ended, Horsey took a turn on the mound with yet another circuit club — the Wilmington Chicks — tossing an exhibition two-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts against a semipro Pennsylvania Rail Road team on September 3.42

After a combined 9-15 record in 30 games with Allentown and Trenton in 1913, Horsey remained with Trenton for 1914, his fifth season in the Tri-State League. This time he played some right field and third base in addition to pitching. He finished the season 9-7 in 20 games pitched; his forays as a position player were less successful — a .115 average in 61 at-bats.

When the Tri-State League ceased operations after the 1914 season, Horsey traded a defunct Class-B league for another, going north to sign with the Manchester (New Hampshire) Textiles of the New England League for 1915. He still had the talent to get the ball in Manchester’s home opener against Fitchburg on May 3. He pitched into the eighth inning of a 2-2 tie but “the pulling of Horsey from the game was the direct cause of the downfall of the locals,” as Manchester lost, 4-2, in 10 innings.43 Manchester continued to play to that level through the end of the season, finishing seventh in the eight-team league at 49-67.44 Horsey was what amounted to the club’s ace, posting an 11-9 record in 28 games.

Financial instability caused the New England League to reorganize as the Eastern League for 1916, with the Manchester club transferred to Lowell, Massachusetts. According to the April 16, 1916, Wilmington News Journal, Horsey reported to Lowell. There, he “failed to round into condition,” and was released.45 In 1917, he dropped two classification levels to sign with the Chambersburg (Pennsylvania) Maroons of the Class-D Blue Ridge League, and started a game for Chambersburg on May 17, but by May 31 was reported as having been released.46 He then caught on with the Hagerstown (Maryland) Terriers, another Blue Ridge League club. Between Chambersburg and Hagerstown he got into only 13 games in 1917, but managed eight wins.

Horsey wrapped up his professional playing career in 1918 at the highest classification level he ever reached — the International League. He turned in a dismal 2-11 record in 17 games with the Class-AA Jersey City Skeeters; then it was back home to the Maryland Eastern Shore and local semipro baseball.47 He managed a town team in Centreville in 1921, but club financial difficulties ended that venture.48 But by 1925 he had found a new focus in baseball — umpiring — and stuck with it to become a baseball lifer.

He got his start as an arbiter in 1925 with the original six-team Eastern Shore League (Class D), which folded after the 1927 season.49 He did some college umpiring and worked in the Mid-Atlantic League50 and the New York-Pennsylvania League after it began play in 1933, but when the Eastern Shore League regrouped as an eight-team circuit in 1937 Horsey returned and by 1940 was the league’s chief umpire.51 He was a protégé of American League umpire Bill McGowan and later an instructor with McGowan’s winter umpire school in Florida.52

The Eastern Shore League’s second act ended after the 1941 season with the entry of the United States into World War II. Local interest in baseball remained strong, however. Cambridge, Maryland, had been a financially solid and competitive presence in both former iterations of the league, and Fred “Fritz” Lucas used his connections with Branch Rickey and the Brooklyn Dodgers to begin efforts toward reorganization as soon as the war ended. Lucas had managed the Cambridge club from 1937 through 1941 under a working agreement with Brooklyn. With an enthusiastic presentation that produced an infusion of ballpark renovation money from Rickey, Lucas continued his promotions and got other area communities interested in reviving baseball, and the third Eastern Shore League, still Class D, started play for the 1946 season.53

Although “Delmarva was not known for metropolitan-oriented forms of art or cultural events beyond having a few cold beers and abusing an umpire,”54 and the league was “rough-edged,”55 Horsey had kept things generally under control while chief umpire in the later years of the pre-war league. He returned as chief umpire in 1946 and “was always a favorite behind the plate with the players, managers, and fans of the ESL.”56

Mentored himself by McGowan, who was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1992 after umpiring in the American League for 30 years, Horsey left his own legacy in the profession. Three future major-league umpires — Jim Boyer, Jim Honochick, and Frank Dascoli — did their early work under his tutelage in the third Eastern Shore League.57

Hans and Marian had settled in Millington, her home town, on his return to the Eastern Shore; in addition to umpiring he had a restaurant business there. He also worked in the winters as a staff member with McGowan’s Florida umpiring school. A veteran local sportswriter saluted him as “a thoroughly honest and excellent umpire who knew every rule in the book and how to apply it. He had plenty of color and none of it yellow.”58

Horsey retired from umpiring after the 1948 Eastern Shore League season. “Probably Bill McGowan would give me a job in some league, but I’m tired of it all, the daily grind gets to a fellow, you know,” he told a local sportswriter.59 By late summer of 1949, though, he apparently missed the game that had filled so many years of his life. A small item in a “Caught on the Fly” column in the September 14, 1949, Sporting News noted that “Hanson Horsey, of Millington, Md., who has been in the game as a pitcher and umpire since 1910, is seeking a berth for 1950. He was an instructor in Bill McGowan’s Umpire School and chief of staff of the Eastern Shore League.”60

But there was never a chance for anything to develop. Two-and-a-half months later, on December 1, 1949, Hans Horsey died at home from a heart attack. He was five days past his 60th birthday. In Hans’s local obituary sportswriter Ed Nichols called him “a baseball man down to the soles of his shoes, preaching the gospel of the game 12 months a year.”61 Hans Horsey was survived by his wife Marian and only son, Hanson Jr.62 and laid to rest in the Asbury Methodist Church Cemetery in Millington.


Author’s note and acknowledgments

Early in my research I discovered that the Maryland Eastern Shore has a rich baseball tradition, kept alive by an active Hall of Fame. In contacting that organization, I encountered Marty Payne, a fellow SABR member and one of the Eastern Shore Hall of Fame Board members. Marty was extremely helpful in sharing the information he and the Hall had collected on Hanson Horsey. At the time, Hanson Horsey was not yet a member of the Eastern Shore Hall; Marty suggested that I nominate Hans and submit this biography in support. In July 2020 Marty confirmed that the Hall had made Hans a member, inducting him, a native of the Eastern Shore and prominent in baseball there throughout his life, in November 2019.

This biography was reviewed by Phil Williams and verified for accuracy by the BioProject fact-checking team.



In addition to the sources cited in the Notes, I used the Baseball-Reference.com and Retrosheet.org websites for team, player, and season pages and the box score of the April 27, 1912, Cincinnati-Pittsburgh game. I gathered genealogical information through the Family Search.org website and accessed the cited newspaper articles through either the Newspapers.com website or, for The Sporting News items, through Paper of Record, a perquisite of SABR membership. Fellow SABR member Phil Williams, who edited this biography, provided a copy of Hanson Horsey’s World War II draft registration.



1 These are the height and weight listed on Hanson Horsey’s Baseball-Reference player page. When he registered for the World War II draft at age 52 on April 27, 1942, however, he was listed as 5-foot-4, and 168 pounds.

2 October 12, 2018, e-mail from Marty Payne, member of the Board of Directors of the Eastern Shore Baseball Hall of Fame, Salisbury, Maryland. Hereafter, “Payne e-mail.”

3 Baseball-Reference, Retrosheet, and his World War II registration all record Hanson Horsey’s place of birth as Galena, Maryland. His thumbnail biography in William Mowbray’s history of the Eastern Shore League places his birth in Elkton, Maryland. Elkton is a larger Eastern Shore community located 20 miles north of Galena. William E. Mowbray, The Eastern Shore Baseball League (Centreville, Maryland: Tidewater Publishers, 1989), 119.

4 Although each of his three brothers had middle names, there is no indication in Horsey’s genealogical records or published material concerning him that he had or used any middle name or initial. His Baseball-Reference.com player page reports his full name as Hanson Horsey.

5 This family information comes from the Mary Elizabeth Horsey entry at Find A Grave.com, accessed October 9, 2018.

6 Emily Emerson Lantz, “Maryland Heraldry — History of Distinguished Families and Personages — Horsey Lineage and Arms,” Baltimore Sun, July 25, 1905: 12.

7 Both population figures are from US Decennial Census records.

8 Charlotte Hall closed as an educational institution in 1976. The buildings are now used as the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home, operated by the State of Maryland. History of Charlotte Hall Veterans Home entry at charhall.org, accessed October 16, 2018.

9 Payne e-mail, citing Chestertown (Maryland) Transcript editions published July 1, July 22, and August 5, 1905.

10 Ibid, citing Chestertown (Maryland) Transcript edition published April 27, 1907.

11 Payne e-mail.

12 Ibid.

13 Baltimore Sun, March 4, 1910: 10.

14 Ibid.

15 The Tri-State League was designated Class B, the second highest level of minor-league competition, by Organized Baseball in 1907. It had its origin as an independent league that operated from 1904-1906. The league name derived from the presence of teams from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware in the original iteration. Reading, competing as the Dutchmen, joined the league in 1909 as a replacement for the Wilmington, Delaware, franchise. For 1910 and 1911, the Reading team was known as the Pretzels. In mid-June of the 1912 season, the Altoona franchise (Rams) moved to Reading and the Pretzels moved to Atlantic City. The Reading Pretzels reappeared in 1914, the last Tri-State League season.

16 “Reading Shuts Out Albright,” Philadelphia Inquirer, April 28, 1910: 28.

17 “Roses Trimmed In 10-Inning Game,” Reading (Pennsylvania) Times, May 7, 1910: 6

18 “Reading Wins on Timely Hitting,” Reading Times, May 13, 1910: 5.

19 “Hansey Horsey Is the Whole Show,” Philadelphia Inquirer, June 7, 1910: 10.

20 “Senators Beaten in Double Header,” Reading Times, August 17, 1910: 5.

21 Northrop had a 6-6 career record with the 1918 and 1919 Boston Braves.

22 Ramsey was 13-8 with Reading in 1911. He never reached the majors, but, per Baseball-Reference, was the winner of at least 100 games in a minor-league career that spanned 1904-1922.

23 “Reading Cinches Tri-State Flag,” Reading Times, September 2, 1911: 5.

24 See: Reading Times, April 22, 1911: 7; Reading Times, May 13, 1911: 5.

25 “Carter’s Homer Defeats Reading,” Reading Times, June 13, 1911: 3.

26 “Reading Easily Trims Beauts,” Reading Times, July 6, 1911: 5.

27 “Hopes to Again Capture Flag,” Scranton (Pennsylvania) Truth, December 27, 1911: 9.

28 Jack Ryder, “Summons Reds Recruits,” Cincinnati Enquirer, February 25, 1912: 20.

29 O’Day finished his major-league pitching career in 1890 with a 73-110 record. He umpired regularly in the National League from 1897 through 1911, then replaced Clark Griffith as Cincinnati manager in 1912 and was himself replaced for 1913 by Joe Tinker. O’Day umpired in the National League again in 1913, managed the Chicago Cubs in 1914, then returned to umpire in the National League from 1915 through 1927. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2013. See: Dennis Bingham, “Hank O’Day,” SABR Baseball Biography Project, sabr.org, accessed November 6, 2018, and Hank O’Day entry, Retrosheet.org.

30 Jack Ryder, “Horsey’s Drop Ball Has Aroused the Admiration and Awe of Manager Hank,” Cincinnati Enquirer, March 9, 1912: 8.

31 Ibid.

32 Jack Ryder, “Prough and Horsey Do Good Work the First Time Out,” Cincinnati Enquirer, March 26, 1912: 6.

33 Jack Ryder, “Horsey Was Hit More Freely,” Cincinnati Enquirer, April 11, 1912: 8.

34 Ralph S. Davis, “Pirates Give Reds Tremendous Beating,” Pittsburgh Press, April 28, 1912: 21-22.

35 Ibid: 22.

36 Jack Ryder, “Notes of the Game,” Cincinnati Enquirer, May 22, 1912: 6.

37 Allentown (Pennsylvania) Morning Call, July 3, 1912: 10. Although Baseball-Reference.com lists Horsey’s 1912 minor-league statistics under Allentown, he pitched for three Tri-State League franchises that season — Altoona, Reading, and Allentown — all of this after he was a member of the Cincinnati Reds until May 21.

38 “Pitcher Horsey to Wed Maryland Girl,” Allentown (Pennsylvania) Leader, July 6, 1912: 10.

39 “Marriage Announced,” Morning News (Wilmington, Delaware), September 3, 1913: 3.

40 “Opening Tri-State Game at Home Brings Crowd That Sees Chicks Win Again,” Evening Journal (Wilmington, Delaware), May 2, 1913: 14.

41 “Oldham and Horsey Fly High, But Tigers Fall,” Trenton (New Jersey) Evening Times, June 28, 1913: 7.

42 “Railroaders Humbled by Slugging Chicks,” Morning News (Wilmington, Delaware), September 5, 1913: 5.

43 “Winning Single with Bases Full,” Fitchburg (Massachusetts) Sentinel, May 4, 1915: 5.

44 Boston Globe, September 7, 1915: 7.

45 Wilmington (Delaware) News Journal, June 20, 1916: 13.

46 Gettysburg (Pennsylvania) Times, May 31, 1917: 3.

47 Payne e-mail; Horsey’s obituary in the December 2, 1949, edition of the Wilmington (Delaware) News Journal has a passing reference to his having “managed Jersey City during World War I.” Baseball-Reference shows Harry Lord as the Jersey City manager in 1918, the only year Horsey was associated with the team, and I found no other evidence that Horsey managed the team.

48 Ibid, citing Wicomoco (Maryland) News, June 23, 1921.

49 Mowbray, 117.

50 Ibid.

51 Payne e-mail.

52 Ibid; See also, The Sporting News, December 10, 1947: 20.

53 Mowbray, 66-67, 82.

54 Ibid, 46.

55 Payne e-mail.

56 Mowbray, 119.

57 Payne e-mail; Mowbray, 97, 105, 118.

58 Ed Nichols, “Hans Horsey, Veteran Shore Umpire, About Ready to Retire,” Salisbury (Maryland) Times, December 28, 1948: 12.

59 Ibid.

60 The Sporting News, September 14, 1949: 42.

61 Ed Nichols, “Hans Horsey, Old Warrior of Shore Baseball, Is Dead,” Salisbury Times, December 2, 1949: 12.

62 Hanson Jr. worked as a civilian employee of the US Army. He retired to County Cork, Ireland, and died there at age 57, also of a heart attack, on June 18, 1972. Wilmington (Delaware) Morning News, June 30, 1972: 51; Marian Horsey died in a hospital in Chestertown, Maryland, in 1973 at age 80. Wilmington (Delaware) Morning News, April 12, 1973: 29.

Full Name

Hanson Horsey


November 26, 1889 at Galena, MD (USA)


December 1, 1949 at Millington, MD (USA)

If you can help us improve this player’s biography, contact us.