August 17-21, 2022
Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor
Couldn’t make it to Baltimore for SABR 50? Check out more coverage of our 2022 national convention online.
The Society for American Baseball Research held its 50th annual convention on August 17-21, 2022, at the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore. Check out stories, photos, and multimedia clips from the SABR 50 convention in Baltimore below.
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, journalists, historians, and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, ballgames, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Luncheon, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this exciting and memorable event.
- F.X. Flinn selected as 2022 Bob Davids Award winner
- Listen to highlights from Sig Mejdal’s opening remarks (audio)
- Listen to highlights from Tim Kurkjian’s keynote address (audio)
- Listen to highlights from Boog Powell’s one-on-one interview with Dan Connolly (audio)
- Listen to highlights from Mike Bordick’s Oral History interview with Mike Gibbons (audio)
- Listen to highlights from Curt Flood 50th anniversary panel with Judy Pace Flood, Brad Snyder, Mark Armour, and Shakeia Taylor (audio)
- Listen to highlights from the Women in Leadership panel with Eve Rosenbaum, Nicole Sherry, Lisa Tolson, and Jennifer Grondahl (audio)
- Listen to highlights from the Camden Yards panel with Joe Spear, Greg Bader, and Bill Stetka (audio)
- Listen to highlights from the Ballparks Panel with Larry Lucchino, Janet Marie Smith, and Charles Steinberg (audio)
- Listen to highlights from Broadcasters Panel with Kevin Brown and Joe Castiglione (audio)
- Listen to highlights from the Babe Ruth Panel with Mike Gibbons, Bill Jenkinson, and Tom Shieber (audio)
- Listen to highlights from SABR 50 committee meetings with Melissa Ludtke, Rob Fitts, Vinay Kumar, Hans Van Slooten, and more (audio)
- Listen to select SABR 50 research presentations (audio)
- John Asel, Bill Marston win 2022 convention presentation awards
- Founding member Tom Hufford honored before Orioles game at Camden Yards
- Moses Fleetwood Walker selected as SABR’s Overlooked 19th Century Base Ball Legend of 2022
- Bill Carle wins record 5th Trivia Contest; Pennsylvanians take team title
- Save the date! SABR 51 will be in Chicago in 2023
- Hayes Gardner: Baseball brainiacs coming to Baltimore this weekend (Baltimore Sun)
- Dan Schlossberg: SABR celebrates 50th birthday in Baltimore (IBWAA)
- Ben Schneider: Orioles welcome SABR 50 convention to Baltimore (Birds Watcher)
- Thomas Stone: Recap of SABR 50 in Baltimore (Substack)
Our featured speakers at SABR 50 included:
- Keynote address by Tim Kurkjian, winner of the BBWAA’s 2022 Career Excellence Award.
- Opening Remarks by Sig Mejdal (pictured above), Vice President and Assistant General Manager, Analytics, Baltimore Orioles.
- One-on-one with Baltimore Orioles legend Boog Powell, interviewed by Dan Connolly of The Athletic.
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards panel with Bill Stetka (Orioles Team Historian), Greg Bader (Orioles Senior Vice President, Administration & Experience), and Joe Spear (founder of Populous).
- Women in Leadership panel with Orioles executives Eve Rosenbaum (Assistant General Manager, Baseball Operations), Nicole Sherry (Director, Field Operations), Jennifer Grondahl (Senior Vice President, Community Development & Communications), and Lisa Tolson (Senior Vice President, Human Resources).
- SABR Ballparks panel with former Orioles president Larry Lucchino, acclaimed ballpark design director Janet Marie Smith, and longtime baseball executive Charles Steinberg.
- Flood v. Kuhn: Fifty Years Later panel with Judy Pace Flood, widow of Curt Flood; Mark Armour, award-winning historian and co-writer of the MLBPA’s official history; Brad Snyder, Georgetown University law professor and author of A Well-Paid Slave; and moderator Shakeia Taylor of the Chicago Tribune.
- Babe Ruth panel with author Bill Jenkinson (The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs); Tom Shieber, Senior Curator at the National Baseball Hall of Fame; and moderator Mike Gibbons, Director Emeritus and Historian for the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum.
- Baseball Broadcasting panel with Joe Castiglione, play-by-play voice of the Boston Red Sox Radio Network, and Kevin Brown, Baltimore Orioles primary television play-by-play announcer for MASN.
- Oral History interview with Mike Bordick, Baltimore Orioles Hall of Famer.
- Historic Ballparks Bus Tour on Thursday, August 18.
- Baltimore Orioles vs. Boston Red Sox game on Friday, August 19.
Get your copy of The National Pastime convention journal
All SABR 50 attendees received a souvenir print edition of The National Pastime, our annual convention journal, focusing on baseball in the minor leagues.
All SABR members, whether you attend the convention or not, received the e-book edition of The National Pastime in their inboxes this summer.
The 2020 National Pastime journal included stories all about baseball in Baltimore. Click here to read articles online from that edition.
Read articles from Baltimore Baseball at the SABR Digital Library
In 2021, Baltimore Baseball, edited by Bill Nowlin, was published at the SABR Digital Library. The book focused on the rich history of baseball in the Baltimore area, through recounts of 84 games from the major-league Orioles to the minor-league Orioles to the Negro Leagues.
Click here to read all game stories from Baltimore Baseball online at the SABR Games Project.
Visit SABR.org/ebooks to download your free e-book edition or save 50% off the paperback edition of Baltimore Baseball.
SABR Convention ballgame history
SABR members are known for keeping track of everything — so why not the all-time standings for SABR Convention ballgames, too? Ever wonder how many MVP and Cy Young Award winners we’ve seen at the SABR Convention ballgame in the year they won the award? We’ve got that!
Click here to view our new Games Project series on every major-league, minor-league, and even old-timers games we’ve seen at the Annual Convention from 1972 to the present day.
All guests must adhere to SABR’s Event Code of Conduct at all times. We are dedicated to maintaining an open, inclusive environment at all SABR events.