SABR 47: Committee meetings
Here is the schedule for research committee meetings at SABR 47 — June 28-July 2, 2017, at the Grand Hyatt New York.
Committee meetings are open to all convention attendees.
Full registration and single-day rates are now available at SABR.org/convention. All baseball fans are welcome to attend.
Mark Armour, co-chair (email@example.com)
Chris Dial, co-chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Saturday, July 1, 10:30 a.m., Empire State Ballroom
* Guest speaker: Keith Olbermann, a longtime SABR member, author, and award-winning sports and political commentator
BASEBALL AND THE MEDIA
Chuck Hildebrandt, chair (email@example.com)
John McMurray, vice-chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Saturday, July 1, 5:15 p.m., Empire State Ballroom
* Guest speaker: Alain Usereau, French-language play-by-play broadcaster for RDS network in Canada
Trent McCotter, chair (email@example.com)
Saturday, July 1, 4:15 p.m., Empire State Ballroom
* Guest speakers: David S. Neft, a Henry Chadwick Award recipient and the driving force behind Macmillan's The Baseball Encyclopedia, who will participate in a one-on-one interview with MLB Official Historian John Thorn
DEADBALL ERA (1901-19)
John McMurray, chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Saturday, July 1, 4:15 p.m., Ballroom I
* Guest speaker: Glenn Stout, this year's Larry Ritter Book Award winner for The Selling of the Babe: The Deal that Changed Baseball and Created a Legend. After accepting his award, Glenn will discuss his research and writing methods in a talk titled "Writing the Past to Life." He is glad to answer questions from the audience and to sign any copies of his books brought by attendees.
GAMES AND SIMULATIONS
Joseph Runde, co-chair (email@example.com)
Matt Benham, co-chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Saturday, July 1, 10:30 a.m., Alvin & Carnegie Room
* Guest speaker: Keith Avallone of PLAAY.com Sports Simulation Board games
Anthony Salazar, chair (email@example.com)
Thursday, June 29, 1:45 p.m., Ballroom I
* Guest speakers: Peter C. Bjarkman, a Henry Chadwick Award recipient and expert on Cuban baseball history, and Cuban journalist Reynaldo Cruz, editor of the Universo Béisbol digital magazine. Join us for a showing of Unidos por una Pasión, a new film by Cruz and Yasel Porto. Orlando “El Duque” Hernández and José Martí ... the New York Cubans and Rey Ordóñez ... the Industriales and the New York Yankees as the most loved and hated teams in their leagues. Two big cities in two baseball-crazed nations have more in common than just being the top holder in titles in their respective countries. Join us for a sneak preview of this new film with special guest Orlando "El Duque" Hernández (subject to availability).
Larry Lester, chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Saturday, July 1, 2:15 p.m., Empire State Ballroom
* Guest speaker: Jim Robinson, three-time East-West All-Star Game selection (1956-58) and former captain of the Kansas City Monarchs
John McMurray, chair (email@example.com)
Saturday, July 1, 2:15 p.m., Uris/Juilliard Room
* Guest speaker: Tom Villante, batboy for the 1944 and 1945 New York Yankees under manager Joe McCarthy; producer of Brooklyn Dodgers TV and radio broadcasts from 1950-57; creator of the Major League Baseball Promotion Corporation; and founding director of the Jackie Robinson Foundation. Join us for this unique live oral history and the opportunity to learn from someone who spent decades observing and knowing many of baseball's greats.
WOMEN IN BASEBALL
Leslie Heaphy, co-chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thursday, June 29, 1:45 p.m., Empire State Ballroom
* Guest speakers: Claire Smith, acclaimed baseball writer and 2017 J.G. Taylor Spink Award recipient and Perry Barber, pioneering baseball umpire, author, and musician
Please note: Some committees have not yet scheduled their meetings at SABR 47. Please check this page for future updates.
For more information on SABR 47, visit SABR.org/convention.
This page was last updated May 19, 2017 at 4:20 pm MST.