From Swampoodle to South Philly
Journal from the 2013 Convention, focusing on baseball in Philadelphia.
- Prelude to the Formation of the American Association
- The Jefferson Street Ball Parks (1864–91)
- Philadelphia, October 1866: The Center of the Baseball Universe
- Did New York Steal the Championship of 1867 from Philadelphia?
- Mundell’s Solar Tips: The Intersection of Amateur, Trade, Professional and Major League Baseball in Philadelphia
- Tuck Turner’s Magical 1894 Phillies Season
- Columbia Park II: Philadelphia American League, 1901–08
- The Long Way to Philadelphia: The Strange Route Leading Rube Waddell To Join The Philadelphia Athletics
- The Strangest Month in the Strange Career of Rube Waddell
- Tim Hurst’s Last Call
- The Delaware River Shipbuilding League, 1918
- Harry Passon: Philadelphia Baseball Entrepreneur
- The Real Jimmie Foxx
- The Day Ted Williams Became the Last .400 Hitter in Baseball
- The Philadelphia Phillies' 1943 Spring Training
- Eddie Waitkus and "The Natural": What is Assumption? What is Fact?
- Phillies Bonus Babies, 1953-57
- Tom Qualters’s Amazing 1954 Season for the Philadelphia Phillies
- 1964 Phillies, Fans, and Media
- Dick Allen’s Second Act
- Fan Perspectives on Race and Baseball in the City of Brotherly Love
- Expanded e-edition articles can be found online at SABR.org!
Download the e-book
SABR members, you can now download a special expanded edition of The National Pastime to your computer or e-reader!
Click the cover image below to download a PDF, EPUB or Kindle version of the 2013 convention journal, From Swampoodle to South Philly.
- Connie Mack: The Tall Tactician
- The Early Years of Philadelphia Baseball
- Philadelphia Phillies: A Vibrant History
- William T. Stecher: Ignominious Record Holder, Community Servant
- Baseball’s Deadliest Disaster: “Black Saturday” in Philadelphia
- The Great Philadelphia Ballpark Riot
- Dropping the Pitch: Leona Kearns, Eddie Ainsmith and the Philadelphia Bobbies
- Connie Mack’s Second Great Athletics Team: Eclipsed by the Ruth-Gehrig Yankees, But Even Better
- The 1929 Mack Attack
- Black Tuesday: Philadelphia A's trades in December 1933
- A Phil Named Syl
- Connie Mack and Wartime Baseball — 1943
- The Sultan of Slap and Run
- Kids Snatch a Flag
- A Final Season: The 1954 Philadelphia Athletics
- Handy in a Pinch: Dave Philley
- Philadelphia Area Teams that Have Participated in the Little League World Series
- Mitch Williams’ Amazing Month: Eight Wins Out of the Bullpen
- Pitch Perfect: Re-examining Brad Lidge’s Performance in 2008 Using Win Probabilities Added and Leverage Index
- Philadelphia's Other Hall of Famers
- Editor's note