The Ron Gabriel Award annually honors the author(s) of the best research, published or unpublished, on the subject of the Brooklyn Dodgers completed during the preceding calendar year. Eligible works include but are not limited to magazine and journal articles, previously unpublished chapters or articles in anthologies or other books with multiple authors, unpublished research papers, written versions of oral presentations, books, databases and websites.
Ron Gabriel (1941-2009), a native of Brooklyn, New York, and longtime resident of Bethesda, Maryland, was a former Vice President of SABR and instrumental in establishing the Bob Davids Chapter, which serves the Washington-Baltimore region. He was founder and president of the Brooklyn Dodger Fan Club, and a charter elected member of the Brooklyn Dodger Hall of Fame. Gabriel, who earned his Ph.D. in Human Resource Management from American University, was a retired U.S. Government executive, having served with the Postal Service Management Institute, the Department of Defense and the General Services Administration.
The award subcommittee includes: Andy McCue (chair), John McMurray, and Roberta J. Newman.
2022 award nominations
SABR is now accepting submissions for the 2022 Ron Gabriel Award, which annually honors the author(s) of the best research, published or unpublished, on the subject of the Brooklyn Dodgers completed during the 2021 calendar year.
To submit a nomination, please send a copy of your work to Andy McCue, and include the work’s title, author, publisher, date, and web link (if applicable). To send review copies of a book, contact Andy for shipping details.
- Joe Niese, Zack Wheat: The Life of the Brooklyn Dodgers Hall of Famer (McFarland & Co.)
- Noel Hynd, The Final Game at Ebbets Field (Red Cat Tales)
- John G. Zinn, Charles Ebbets: The Man Behind the Dodgers and Brooklyn’s Beloved Ballpark (McFarland & Co.)
- Kevin Cook, Electric October: Seven World Series Games, Six Lives, Five Minutes of Fame That Lasted Forever (Henry Holt & Co.)
- Bill Sullivan, Prologue in Long Before the Miracle: The Making of the New York Mets (CreateSpace)
- Mort Zachter, Gil Hodges: A Hall of Fame Life (University of Nebraska Press)
- Andy McCue, Mover & Shaker: Walter O’Malley, the Dodgers, and Baseball’s Westward Expansion (University of Nebraska Press)
- John G. Zinn, Paul G. Zinn, eds., Ebbets Field: Essays and Memories of Brooklyn’s Historic Ballpark, 1913-1960 (McFarland & Co.)
- Lyle Spatz, ed., The Team that Forever Changed Baseball and America: The 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers (University of Nebraska Press)
- Lyle Spatz, Dixie Walker: A Life in Baseball (McFarland & Co.)
- Bob Davids Award
- Henry Chadwick Award
- Seymour Medal
- SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards
- SABR Baseball Research Award
- McFarland-SABR Baseball Research Award
- Doug Pappas Award
- Jack Kavanagh Award
- Dorothy Seymour Mills Lifetime Achievement Award (Women in Baseball)
- George Michael Award (Pictorial History)
- Jefferson Burdick Award (Baseball Cards)
- Larry Ritter Book Award (Deadball Era)
- Lee Allen Award (National History Day)
- Roland Hemond Award (Scouts)
- Ron Gabriel Award (Brooklyn Dodgers)