- Updated SDI rankings: Click here to view the SABR Defensive Index rankings through games of August 27, 2017
Beginning in 2013, the SABR Defensive Index™ has been used to help select the winners of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award® and Rawlings Platinum Glove Award™, which is presented by SABR.
The SABR Defensive Index draws on and aggregates two types of existing defensive metrics: those derived from batted ball location-based data and those collected from play-by-play accounts. The three metrics representing batted ball data include Defensive Runs Saved from Baseball Info Solutions, Ultimate Zone Rating developed by noted sabermetrician Mitchel Lichtman, and Runs Effectively Defended based on STATS Zone Rating and built by SABR Defensive Committee member Chris Dial. The two metrics included in the SDI originating from play-by-play data are Defensive Regression Analysis, created by committee member Michael Humphreys, and Total Zone Rating.
The SABR Defensive Index accounts for approximately 25 percent of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award selection process that was added to the votes from the managers and coaches.
Rawlings announced the revised selection process overview in March 2013 at the annual SABR Analytics Conference as part of its new collaboration with SABR. Since that announcement, SABR enlisted an independent committee of experts in baseball analytics and defensive measurement to devise the SDI. The SABR Defensive Committee includes:
- Committee chair Vince Gennaro, SABR President and author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball
- Sean Forman, founder of Baseball-Reference.com
- Ben Jedlovec, Baseball Info Solutions
- Chris Dial, author and recognized expert on defensive metrics
- Michael Humphreys, author of Wizardry: Baseball’s All-Time Greatest Fielders Revealed
- F.X. Flinn, SABR Board of Directors
2017 SDI rankings
- Click here to view SABR Defensive Index rankings through games of Sunday, August 27
- Click here to view SABR Defensive Index rankings through the first half of the 2017 season.
To view the 2016 Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners, click here.
The winners of the 2016 Rawlings Platinum Glove Award, presented by SABR, were: Chicago first baseman Anthony Rizzo and Cleveland shortstop Francisco Lindor. Click here to learn more.
To view the 2015 Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners, click here.
The winners of the 2015 Rawlings Platinum Glove Award, presented by SABR, were: Tampa Bay center fielder Kevin Kiermaier and St. Louis catcher Yadier Molina. Click here to learn more.
To view the 2014 Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners, click here.
The winners of the 2014 Rawlings Platinum Glove Awards, presented by SABR, were: St. Louis catcher Yadier Molina and Kansas City left fielder Alex Gordon. Click here to learn more.
To view the 2013 Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners, click here.
The winners of 2013 Rawlings Platinum Glove Awards, presented by SABR, were: Baltimore third baseman Manny Machado and Atlanta shortstop Andrelton Simmons. Click here to learn more.
- Read SABR President Vince Gennaro's presentation of the 2013 Rawlings Platinum Glove Award (November 8, 2013)
- Details on SABR Defensive Index and new Rawlings Gold Glove Award selection process (August 18, 2013)
- SABR-Rawlings deal an opportunity to integrate defensive advancements to Rawlings Gold Glove Awards (March 8, 2013)
- Rawlings Gold Glove Award adds new sabermetric component with SABR (March 8, 2013)