The Russell Gabay Award, established by SABR’s Elysian Fields Chapter and Goose Goslin Chapter in 2018, honors entities or persons who have demonstrated an ongoing commitment to baseball in New Jersey.
Russell Gabay was a noted sports producer and a native of Springfield, New Jersey. He began his career in the late 1970s, producing for ESPN after graduating from University of Hartford. He later became a Production Manager at HBO, where he supervised several shows, including Inside the NFL, documentaries, and championship fights. Until his sudden death in 2016, Russell was a high-level producer at Major League Baseball Network for more than a decade. He was known throughout the sports industry as a gentleman and a true professional whose generosity knew no bounds, whether towards people trying to break into the business or veterans with several decades of experience.
Submit nominations for the 2022 Russell Gabay Award to David Krell at email@example.com by December 31, 2021.
- Bob Davids Award
- Henry Chadwick Award
- Seymour Medal
- SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards
- SABR Baseball Research Award
- McFarland-SABR Baseball Research Award
- Doug Pappas Award
- Jack Kavanagh Award
- Dorothy Seymour Mills Lifetime Achievement Award (Women in Baseball)
- George Michael Award (Pictorial History)
- Jefferson Burdick Award (Baseball Cards)
- Larry Ritter Book Award (Deadball Era)
- Lee Allen Award (National History Day)
- Roland Hemond Award (Scouts)
- Ron Gabriel Award (Brooklyn Dodgers)