Barney McFadden

This article was written by Malcolm Allen

Barney McFadden (BASEBALL-REFERENCE.COM)A 6-foot-3, 190-pound1 coal miner from eastern Pennsylvania, Barney McFadden was a hard throwing righthanded pitcher in the early 20th century. After appearing in nine National League games for two teams, his career was abbreviated by control problems.

Bernard Joseph McFadden was born on March 29, 1875,2 in the Eckley Miners’ Village in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. He was the ninth of 11 children – eight boys — born to Irish immigrants John McFadden, a coal miner, and the former Anna Harkins.3

By 1880, Bernard’s mother had died4 and his oldest sister Margaret, in her early 20s, was the primary homemaker. His older brothers – Edward, John, and Manus — were listed as laborers in that year’s Census, while 10-year-old Patrick worked with his father in the mines and nine-year-old Hugh picked slate there.

When Barney grew old enough to work, he also discovered baseball. He “broke into the game at Jeansville, where he was employed in the mines,”5 one newspaper explained. The Jeansville mine made national news in 1891 when the protecting wall on a gangway broke loose on the morning of February 4, flooding a mineshaft with 17 miners trapped inside. When the water was pumped out and the men were discovered 20 days later, four of them had miraculously survived.6

A year-and-a-half after that incident, McFadden saw his first write-up in the local newspaper for his ball-playing skills. His family had moved to Freeland – less than four miles from Eckley — and that town’s semipro club trailed, 2-1, with two on and two out in the ninth inning of a contest at Hazleton. “The game depended on the next batter, and as Barney McFadden, the comedian of the club, took his position at the plate, the audience was beyond control,” the Freeland Tribune described. “Everything depended on him, and when he announced to the spectators that he was going to smash the ball, one half the crowd believed him.”7 McFadden stroked a game-winning, two-RBI hit in front of approximately 500 spectators.

McFadden was working as a brakeman for the D.S. & S. Railroad when the same paper noted that he’d badly broken a finger trying to hang onto a foul tip in a game between the company’s office clerks and trainmen in 1894.8 “While an amateur, he showed ability both as a catcher and a pitcher,” one contemporary article reported.9 That fall, after McFadden hurled a 27-7 victory for the Drifton Fearnots, the next day’s paper said, “The feature of the game was the pitching of McFadden”.10

It was McFadden’s work as a first baseman, however, that drew the most attention. Edmund Reichard, a semipro infielder in Pennsylvania throughout the 1890s, often described him as the “most graceful first baseman he had ever seen on any diamond.”11 McFadden played a handful of games for the 1895 Hazleton Quay-kers, champions of the Pennsylvania State League. In the spring of 1896, the Hazleton Sentinel reported that McFadden “would like to get into faster company this season”12 and noted that he had multiple offers from teams in the PSL, which featured dozens of past and future major leaguers. The same paper explained that he would likely turn them down and remain with the Freeland Tigers, however, because, “his promotion as fireman to a steady run on the D.S. & S. R.R. has caused him to change his mind.”13

By the last week of June, however, McFadden was at the Baker Bowl to try out for the Phillies. Philadelphia had one first baseman, 38-year-old Big Dan Brouthers, nearing the end of a Hall of Fame career, and another Cooperstown-bound player, Nap Lajoie, poised to debut at the position before summer was over. “[McFadden] was placed on first bag in the morning practice Wednesday,” the Freeland Tribune described. “And the [Philadelphia Record states that he showed up remarkably well.”14 With his team about to depart on a road trip, Phillies’ manager Billy Nash told McFadden he could accompany them unsigned, or go home and return for another look in the future.15 McFadden returned to Freeland.

Two weeks later, a Hazleton newspaper said McFadden was “anxious to secure a position on a college team so that he may receive an education,”16 but he spent the rest of the summer with a team full of past and future pros in Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania (renamed Jim Thorpe in 1954), about 20 miles southeast of Freeland. “There are very few first basemen in the business, even in the National League, who can give McFadden points in playing the position,”17 raved the Mauch Chunk Democrat after seeing him in action. “McFadden and [Jack] Bon[n]er have been presented with handsome sweaters by some of their Mauch Chunk admirers,”18 another article added. Before the year was over, McFadden also received a watch from the Drifton Fearnots for being one of the top five contributors to that club’s success.

After batting .26019 back at Mauch Chunk in 1897, McFadden and teammate Matt Broderick enrolled at the Augustinian College of Villanova. The article announcing McFadden’s departure described him as “the king first baseman of the Lehigh region.”20

McFadden tried out for the team as a second baseman.21 But, in the first week of March, Wildcats’ coach Dick Harley –a St. Louis Browns’ outfielder– “sized him up at a glance as having great ability as a pitcher. He has all kinds of kinks in his curves, and [Harley] says he will be a second George Mahoney,” reported the Philadelphia Inquirer.22 The same article noted that the Phillies had tried to sign the dark-haired, blue-eyed McFadden as an infielder the previous year. “[McFadden] has a slow motion, but throws a speedy, deceptive ball,”23 noted his hometown paper.

After Villanova’s season, McFadden returned to Mauch Chunk and pitched against the Cuban X-Giants on the Fourth of July 1898. That fall, he joined Villanova’s football squad as a fullback, though he soon switched to left guard to make better use of his weight and strength. Though the Wildcats went only 2-4-1 under player-coach Jack Bagley, a minor league corner infielder, McFadden earned some good press for his efforts. “On the line he is putting up a very strong game and greatly strengthens the center trio,”24 noted the Times of Philadelphia.

McFadden was voted captain of Villanova’s baseball team in 189925. He walked 12 batters in a pre-season exhibition against big leaguers but showed promise. “The Phillies could do little with McFadden’s delivery during the first part of the game,” one Philadelphia paper noted.26 That spring, the cleanup-hitting McFadden homered, tripled twice and singled while pitching his team past the University of Vermont.27 When Cornell University visited Villanova’s campus, McFadden beat them with a five-hitter and smacked a round-tripper described as “one of the longest hits ever made on the field”.28

McFadden spent the summer of 1899 pitching for the Atlantic City Collegians in New Jersey. He lost his starting job on Villanova’s football team that fall, but suited up for Freeland to battle Hazleton on the gridiron while he was home for Thanksgiving.29 He played at least a couple games for the Villanova Athletic basketball squad in December30, but it wasn’t until baseball season that Captain McFadden — proclaimed “one of the best pitchers that ever wore the White and Blue”31 by the Philadelphia Inquirer — truly starred again.

A few weeks after shutting out a team from Tacony on three hits32 toward the end of Villanova’s season, McFadden reported to Griffin Corners, New York, in late June to pitch for Julius Fleischmann’s Mountain Athletic Club in the Catskills. Mauch Chunk had hoped to get McFadden back in 1900, but “could not afford to do better than offer him half the ‘inducements’ he is now receiving,” reported Hazleton’s Plain Speaker.33

Fleischmann, 29, had become the youngest mayor in the history of Cincinnati that year, and his Mountain Tourists team enjoyed a dominant campaign, winning 56 of 60 games by one account, including an October exhibition against the Reds. Future Hall of Fame infielder Miller Huggins played for them that summer, as did Doc White and Red Dooin as well as 19th Century star Bug Holliday.34 McFadden went 14-135 for the Mountain Tourists, according to one source. Another credits him with a 16-136 won-lost mark.

In December, McFadden went home to Freeland for the funeral of his brother Hugh. The 29-year-old, a lineman with Philadelphia’s Diamond Electric Company, had been found dead in that city from suspected delirium tremens.37 One of those searching for him was his brother William, a rookie on the police department in the City of Brotherly Love. Another McFadden brother, Patrick, was a longtime umpire in the Tri-State League.38 By the dawn of the 20th Century, their retired father was living in Scranton, Pennsylania, with his daughters Bridget and Anne. 39

In the spring of 1901, Phillies’ pitcher Red Donahue coached Villanova’s baseball team. In early March, the Philadelphia Inquirer said that McFadden would again be one of the Wildcats’ leading pitchers.40 Before the month was over, however, McFadden had been signed by the Cincinnati Reds for a “good salary”41 on Donahue’s recommendation.42

McFadden debuted on April 24, in the Reds’ second game of the season. On a Wednesday afternoon described as a “miserable day,”43 Cincinnati jumped out to a quick eight-run lead on a League Park field partially flooded by the Ohio River. A “centerfield lake” and “mud battles” for outfielders in pursuit of the ball led to nine doubles in the contest, many of which “would have been easy outs on an open field,” according to one account.44 When the visiting Chicago Orphans pulled within 8-6 after four innings, McFadden relieved Reds’ starter Bill Phillips to start the fifth. With his former Villanova coach, Harley, playing left field behind him, McFadden was “wilder than the river”45 according to Chicago’s Inter Ocean walking five and hitting two more in his five innings. He got credit for the victory, however, when Cincinnati prevailed in the bottom of the ninth, 10-9, in front of only 200 fans.

The Reds were on what proved to be a season-best four-game win streak when McFadden made his first start five days later at West Side Grounds. He was locked in a scoreless duel with “Long Tom” Hughes into the bottom of the fifth, but allowed six runs with two outs on four walks and run-scoring hits by Topsy Hartsel, Frank Chance and Jim Delahanty.46 Cincinnati brought the potential winning run to the plate in the final frame, but “Wahoo Sam” Crawford’s drive was corralled by Orphans’ center fielder Danny Green “with all the charming grace of a cow doing the third step in the mobile buck”47 according to the local paper. McFadden went the distance but lost, 9-6.

“McFadden has shown more speed than any member of the Cincinnati slab corps,”48 noted one periodical on May 6, but the rookie failed to retire any of the seven Cardinals he faced that afternoon; hitting two more, permitting three free passes and four runs while getting tagged with another defeat in relief. The following day, however, McFadden beat St. Louis with an 11-inning complete game. The Cardinals thought they’d turned an inning-ending twin killing on the play where the winning run scored. While St. Louis’s Jesse Burkett protested, a Cincinnati fan struck him, and police had to restore order after the Redbirds’ left fielder retaliated.49

Shortly after McFadden’s strong outing, the Pittsburgh Press reported, “Manager (Patsy) Donovan of the St. Louis team considers Barney McFadden one of the most promising pitchers that has come to his notice in a long time. He believes that the ex-Mountaineer will not only develop into a first-class twirler, but that he also has in him the making of a good batsman.”50

In his next start, on May 13 in Pittsburgh, McFadden stroked his first major league hit, against Hall of Fame right-hander Jack Chesbro; McFadden also held Honus Wagner hitless (though “The Flying Dutchman” did walk twice) and outpitched “Happy Jack” for a complete-game, 3-2 victory to lift the Reds a game in front of the Pirates for first place. “Umpire Frank Dwyer [the official at Exposition Park that day)]is of the opinion that Barney McFadden of the Cincinnatis has in him the making of one of the best pitchers that ever faced a batter,” raved one newspaper.51

McFadden only appeared once more on Cincinnati’s three-week road trip, hitting safely in both of his at bats at Brooklyn on May 17, but lasting only three innings after walking five Superbas and permitting six runs. When the Reds lodged at a hotel in Indianapolis, however, he encountered natural gas for the first time. After studying the fireplace for a while, McFadden remarked that the flames weren’t making much progress consuming the log, prompting one of his teammates to tease, “Why, that’ll burn for a day” with a wink. “A day!” the befuddled rookie replied. “What the bloody fun is the log soaked in?”52

On June 1, Cincinnati’s road trip ended much like it had begun, with a one-run win in Pittsburgh. McFadden did not pitch but found himself in the middle of the action, nevertheless. After a controversial ninth-inning call went against the home team, some of the 5,500 in attendance got so upset that Wagner, Fred Clarke and other Pirates scrambled to shepherd umpire Bert Cunningham to the Pittsburgh bench to protect him from their own fans. McFadden “had his cheek cut just below the left eye by a stone thrown by a boy during the lively disturbance.”53

Back at League Park on June 4, McFadden started for the first time in two weeks against the Superbas and their ace, “Wild Bill” Donovan. McFadden went the distance, but he was the wild one, issuing 11 bases on balls in a 7-3 defeat. After he allowed the last five runs of a 25-13 loss to the Giants in a relief appearance five days later, McFadden’s ERA soared to 6.07 and he’d walked 40 batters in his 46 innings. Before the Reds snapped what would grow into a 10-game losing streak, Cincinnati manager Bid McPhee sent McFadden to the St. Joseph (Missouri) Saints of the Class-A Western League to gain experience.54

After the Omaha Omahogs knocked McFadden out of one late-June start with a five-run sixth inning, he reportedly “sat and made faces at himself during the remainder of the game”.55 McFadden got himself together, however. “A Western League Star”56 headlined one story, and another paper raved that his “work in the box has been nothing short of phenomenal”, noting that opponents averaged only five hits per game against him.57

The Reds were less optimistic after McFadden finished with a 13-1458 record for St. Joseph. “Manager McPhee says that there is little prospect of Barney McFadden being recalled by the Cincinnati club for next season,” read one August report. “Barney’s pitching has not set the Western League on fire this year.”59 In September, the Reds gave McFadden his outright release.60

During the off-season, McFadden worked as a brakeman on the D.S. & S. Railroad61 and entered the East Stroudsburg State Normal School62 (now East Stroudsburg University), a two-year preparatory institution for teachers.

Two of McFadden’s St. Joseph teammates from the previous year –shortstop Rudy Hulswitt and former Mountain Tourists’ catcher Red Dooin — were National League rookies with the Phillies in 1902. After McFadden pitched another season for the Saints, he joined them in Philadelphia in September. “He is recommended by Dooin and Hulswitt,” noted the Pittsburgh Press. “If McFadden is half as good as the pair who recommended him, the Phillies will have landed a valuable hurler”.63 Unfortunately for McFadden, his Phillies career consisted of a one-game audition. He went the distance against the Boston Beaneaters at Baker Bowl on September 16, but allowed six runs in the first inning, walking seven, and lost, 13-3.

On a Phillies day off a week later, McFadden joined his old Freeland Tigers’ teammates to play third base against their rivals. “Hazleton rooters were deeply concerned when they saw Big Barney McFadden of Freeland alight with the club,”64 reported the local paper. During the off-season, he returned to the East Stroudsburg State Normal School and endured a head-spinning series of events to determine where he would pitch in 1903.

The Albany Senators of the New York State League asked McFadden to play for them, but never offered him a contract after reading erroneous reports that he’d joined the Western League’s Colorado Springs Millionaires.65 When McFadden didn’t hear back from Albany, he reached a deal with the Eastern League’s Newark Sailors instead.66 Once he discovered what happened, McFadden sent a letter to Albany manager Mike Doherty67 and sought his release from the Newark team.68 There’s no record that McFadden ever played for Albany, however, and he was back in Freeland’s semipro lineup before the summer was over.69

The summer of 1903 was also when McFadden assumed control of Mrs. Jenkins’s hotel on the corner of Centre and Luzerne Streets in Freeland.70 The previous owner’s son took McFadden to court seeking to lease the property himself, but the former big league pitcher opened a saloon there in late July71 which remained for years. McFadden manned first base for the Drifton Fearnots in the final game of the Anthracite League season.72 By mid-November he was planning a Thanksgiving rematch of his pigeon shooting contest against the local manager of the Hazleton Brewery because a jokester had tampered with their shotgun shells in the first one.73

In 1904, McFadden appeared in the Fearnots’ team picture74 and played at least one game for Good Wills’ Athletic and Social Club.75 In April, he announced his engagement to Winnifred D. Dean of Wilkes-Barre and their plans for a June wedding.76 Like McFadden, both of Winnie’s parents had come from Ireland and one of her brother’s was a cop.77 Between 1908 and1916, the couple welcomed four children: Anna, Mary, Bernard and William. On Mary’s birth certificate, McFadden’s occupation is recorded as “saloon keeper”.

During McFadden’s busy 1904, he also led a group of investors seeking to build a 40’ x 160’ hall for dancing and basketball78 and served on Freeland’s school board. When efforts to elect a new principal deadlocked in a bitter dispute for three months, McFadden –the Democratic director of Freeland’s Fifth Ward — switched sides and cast the decisive vote with the Republicans, allowing his friend and former Freeland Tigers’ teammate, John J. McGill, to assume control.79

McFadden was the Tigers’ captain in June 1905 when he used a different method to solve an on-field dispute. After Tacks Neuer’s homer gave Nesquehoning a ninth-inning lead, McFadden insisted that the former New York Highlanders’ southpaw had neglected to touch third on his way around the bases and pulled his team off the field when the umpires didn’t agree.80

In his post-professional baseball life, McFadden remained close to the game. After a reunion game with his old D.S. & S. Railroad team in 1914, McFadden was one of the players who signed a letter to the manager asking that it become an annual tradition.81 Two years later, the headline “Bernard McFadden the Latest Recruit to Sign Contract” accompanied the story describing his agreement to play in Wilkes-Barre’s Hot Stove League.82

One 1915 article said McFadden had gone to work in the mines at Wilkes-Barre.83 When he filled out his World War I draft registration card a few years later, however, he listed himself as an inspector with the “Worthington P & M Cor.” in Hazleton. Around 1920, McFadden moved his family to Mauch Chunk and became the proprietor of the Armbruster Hotel84 where his wife, Winnie, conducted the dining room.85 A member of the Loyal Order of Moose and Fraternal Order of Eagles86, McFadden also worked as a brakeman on the railroad to supplement his income.

After visiting Mauch Chunk in March 1922, a Freeland resident returned home and informed the local newspaper that McFadden was severely ill with stomach trouble and a poor prognosis for recovery.87 McFadden’s sister Mary passed away on April 23 and he died five days later of acute gastritis.88

McFadden’s funeral service was held at the Church of Immaculate Conception in Mauch Chunk, and his remains were laid to rest at St. Ann’s Cemetery in Freeland. Depending on whether you prefer the birthdate on his death certificate or tombstone, McFadden was either 46 or 48 at the time of his death.



This biography was reviewed by Donna Halper and Norman Macht and fact-checked by Chris Rainey.



In addition to the sources cited in the Notes, the author also consulted,, and the United States Census from 1880, 1900, 1910 and 1920.



1 “Dick Hartley [sic] Digs Up a Wonder,” Philadelphia Inquirer, March 2, 1898:4.

2 Both McFadden’s tombstone and World War I draft registration card list 1873 as his birth year.

3 McFadden’s death certificate lists his mother’s first name as Nancy with a Pennsylvania birthplace, but that is at odds with Census records and other family death certificates.

4 Anna Harkins died prior to 1880 according to Her last child was born circa 1877.

5 “Base Ball Column,” Mauch Chunk (Pennsylvania) Times-News, August 21, 1915:1.

6 H.C. Bradsby, editor, History of Luzerne County Pennsylvania, S.B. Nelson & Co., 1893:320.

7 “On the Diamond,” Freeland (Pennsylvania) Tribune, September 26, 1892:4.

8 “D.S. & S. Notes,” Freeland Tribune, May 10, 1894:1.

9 “A Western League Star,” Ponca City (Oklahoma) Daily Courier, August 28, 1901:3.

10 “The News of Drifton,” Freeland Tribune, October 8, 1894:1.

11 “Sport Pickups,” Mauch Chunk Times-News, February 1, 1940:4.

12 “Base Ball,” Hazleton (Pennsylvania) Sentinel, April 7, 1896:6.

13 “Freeland,” Hazleton Sentinel, April 10, 1896:4.

14 “Will Be Tried Again,” Freeland Tribune, June 29, 1896:1.

15 “Will Be Tried Again.”

16 “Base Ball Notes,” Plain Speaker (Hazleton, Pennsylvania), July 13, 1896:4.

17 “Base Ball Briefs,” Freeland Tribune, October 5, 1896:1.

18 “Base Ball Briefs,” Freeland Tribune, October 1, 1896:1.

19 “Ed Gaffney Won the Watch,” Freeland Tribune, October 18, 1897:1.

20 “Going to College,” Plain Speaker, January 12, 1898:3.

21 “Another View of Freeland Boys,” Freeland Tribune, March 7, 1898:1.

22 “Dick Hartley [sic] Digs Up a Wonder.”

23 “Another View of Freeland Boys.”

24 Times (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), October 23, 1898:10.

25 “Brief Items of News,” Freeland Tribune, April 20, 1899:1.

26 “Phillies Given a Scare,” Times (Philadelphia), April 14, 1899:8.

27 “Villanova Beats Vermont,” Philadelphia Inquirer, April 25, 1899:4.

28 “Great Ball Playing at Villanova,” Freeland Tribune, May 8, 1899:1.

29 “Rivals to Meet on Sunday,” Freeland Tribune, November 30, 1899:1.

30 “Villanova Reserved Win,” Philadelphia Inquirer, December 18, 1899:14.

31 “Villanova on Diamond,” Philadelphia Inquirer, February 5, 1900:6.

32 “Sporting Notes,” Plain Speaker, June 6, 1900:4.

33 “Base Ball,” Plain Speaker, June 28, 1900:4.

34 “Mountain Athletic Club: Early Club History 1895-1914”,

35 “Base Ball,” Plain Speaker, September 7, 1900:4.

36 “A Western League Star,” Independent (Hutchinson, Kansas) August 21, 1901:3.

37 “Sad Death,” Freeland Tribune, December 17, 1900:1.

38 “Deaths,” Plain Speaker, July 26, 1945:18.

39 1900 United States Census.

40 “Donohue (sic) Coaching Villanova,” Philadelphia Inquirer, March 4, 1901:6.

41 “McFadden to Play with Cincinnati,” Plain Speaker, March 22, 1901:4.

42 “Diamond Gossip,” Journal and Tribune (Knoxville, Tennessee), April 1, 1901:3.

43 “Orphans’ Unfamiliarity with Aquatics Lost Them Yesterday’s Game,” Inter Ocean (Chicago, Illinois), April 25, 1901:8.

44 “Orphans’ Unfamiliarity with Aquatics Lost Them Yesterday’s Game.”

45 “Orphans’ Unfamiliarity with Aquatics Lost Them Yesterday’s Game.”.

46 “D. Green Once More,” Inter Ocean, April 30, 1901:8.

47 “D. Green Once More.”

48 “News and Comment,” Journal and Tribune (Knoxville), May 6, 1901:3.

49 “Brooklyns Choke Off Willis. Collins Club Again Winner,” Boston Herald, May 8, 1901:8.

50 “Baseball Gossip,” Pittsburgh Press, May 11, 1901:8.

51 “Baseball Gossip,” Fall River (Massachusetts) Globe, May 29, 1901:6.

52 “Saginaw’s Program,” Bay City (Michigan) Times, June 6, 1901:2.

53 “Cincinnati 4, Pittsburgh 3,” Brooklyn (New York) Citizen, June 2, 1901:4.

54 “A Western League Star,” Ponca City Daily Courier.

55 “’Twas Gordon’s Off Day,” Omaha (Nebraska) World Herald, June 27, 1901:2.

56 “A Western League Star,” Ponca City Daily Courier.

57 “News of Interest in Sporting Circles,” Plain Speaker, September 20, 1901:4.

58 “Player Signs for Next Year,” St. Joseph (Missouri) News-Press, September 20, 1901:9.

59 “Baseball Gossip,” Pittsburgh Press, September 5, 1901:8.

60 “On the Diamond,” Dayton (Ohio) Daily News, September 21, 1901:3.

61 “Base Ballist Turns Brakeman,” Plain Speaker, October 17, 1901:4.

62 “25 Years Ago,” Plain Speaker, December 21, 1926:10.

63 “Baseball Gossip,” Pittsburgh Press, September 17, 1902:12.

64 “50 Years Ago,” Plain Speaker, September 26, 1952:12.

65 “Base Ball,” Standard-Speaker (Hazleton, Pennsylvania), March 20, 1903:5.

66 “May Play with Albany,” Freeland Tribune, March 20, 1903:1.

67 “Base Ball,” Standard-Speaker, March 20, 1903:5.

68 “May Play with Albany.”

69 “Semis and Freeland Tigers,” Wilkes-Barre (Pennsylvania) Record, August 28, 1903:7.

70 “A New Landlord,” Plain Speaker, July 1, 1903:3.

71 “Freeland,” Wilkes-Barre (Pennsylvania) Times-Leader, July 27, 1903:3.

72 “Hazleton Wins Last Game of the Season,” Plain Speaker, October 5, 1903:5.

73 George McGee, “On the North Side,” Plain Speaker, November 14, 1903:3.

74 “Picture Drifton Baseball Team,” Standard-Speaker, April 28, 1958:2.

75 “Good Wills’ Base Ball Team,” Plain Speaker, February 29, 1904:3.

76 “Engagement Announced,” Plain Speaker, April 27, 1904:3.

77 “Bernard J. McFadden Dies,” Wilkes-Barre Record, April 29, 1922:14.

78 “Contemplated Hall,” Plain Speaker, June 25, 1904:3.

79 “Freeland Deadlock Broken,” Plain Speaker, September 3, 1904:1.

80 “Neuer Cause of It,” Plain Speaker, June 12, 1905:1.

81 “Base Ball,” Mauch Chunk Times-News, August 12, 1914:1.

82 “Barney McFadden the Latest Recruit to Sign Contract,” Wilkes-Barre Record, November 25, 1916:12.

83 “Base Ball Column,” Mauch Chunk Times-News, August 21, 1915:1.

84 “Bernard J. M’Fadden Dies in Mauch Chunk,” Philadelphia Inquirer, April 30, 1922:57.

85 “Death Record,” Mauch Chunk Times-News, December 12, 1931:1.

86 “Bernard J. M’Fadden Dies in Mauch Chunk.”

87 “Here to Recuperate,” Standard-Speaker, March 25, 1922:2.

88 “Bernard J. M’Fadden Dies in Mauch Chunk.”

Full Name

Bernard Joseph McFadden


March 29, 1875 at Eckley, PA (USA)


April 28, 1922 at Mauch Chunk, PA (USA)

If you can help us improve this player’s biography, contact us.