Fall 2011 Baseball Research Journal
- Not Chiseled in Stone: Baseball’s Enduring Records and the SABR Era
- Lou Gehrig’s RBI Record: Striving To Get It Right Thanks to 40 Years of Research by SABR Members
- Hubbell’s Elbow: Don’t Blame the Screwball
- Origins of the Pitching Rotation
- SABR Shortstops: An Analysis of Shortstops Before and During the SABR Era
- Characters With Character: Pittsburgh's All-Black Lineup
- SABR, Baseball Statistics, and Computing: The Last Forty Years
Designated Runner: Herb Washington
Herb Washington went to Michigan State for track and became a track star. But who would have thought he would become a baseball legend?
- The DH in the World Series: Interesting Facts
- 1977: When Earl Weaver Became Earl Weaver
- A Graphical View of the SABR Era
- Baseball’s Forgotten Era: The ’80s
- How Would You Like to Manage in the Majors?: Baseball Board Games and Their Dedicated Players
- Out of Here: Home Runs in Canada
- Baseball on Exhibit: Museums in the SABR Era
Pitchers in the Field: The Use of Pitchers at Other Positions in the Major Leagues, 1969–2009
Pitchers are a breed apart. On average, they are taller and heavier than most players. In most leagues, pitchers never come to bat. But the most striking distinction is that pitchers almost never play another position in the field. This article will look at the few exceptions when this rule was broken in major league games since the advent of the divisional era in 1969
- Baseball’s Major Salary Milestones
- Neill “Wild Horse” Sheridan and the Longest Home Run Ever Measured
- Baseball’s First Power Surge: Home Runs in the Late 19th-Century Major Leagues
- Quicker Than Quick: A 31-Minute Professional Game
- The PING Ratings: A Model for Rating NCAA Baseball Teams
- Talent Selection in Youth Baseball: Factors that Predict End-of-Season Success
- More Highly Connected Baseball Players Have Better Offensive Performance
Download the Fall 2011 Baseball Research Journal as a PDF
SABR members, you can now download the Baseball Research Journal to your computer or e-reader!
Click the cover image or link below to download the PDF file (3.0 MB) of the Fall 2011 Baseball Research Journal, Vol. 40, No. 2. (Sorry, Kindle and EPUB versions are not available.)
Download the Fall 2011 Baseball Research Journal here: https://sabr.box.com/shared/static/h4fv91vdl1hleem9rho2.pdf
- Fall 2011 Baseball Research Journal Cover Collage
- Lou Gehrig's Mythical 1,991 RBIs
- Supplement to "Pitchers in the Field: The Use of Pitchers at Other Positions in the Major Leagues, 1969–2009"
- Supplement to "Baseball's First Power Surge: Home Runs in the Late 19th-Century Major Leagues"
- Supplement to "Lou Gehrig's RBI Record: Striving To Get It Right Thanks To 40 Years of Research By SABR Members"