SABR 45: Transportation Tips
SABR 45 will be held June 24-28, 2015, at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago.
We hope you’ll join us for what promises to be a spectacular SABR 45 convention in the summer of 2015.
- Conference registration: Click here for complete information on SABR 45 registration rates. The regular registration rate is $229 for SABR members or $262 for non-members. Single-day rates of $99 will be available for purchase on-site. The all-inclusive package is no longer available. Click here to register for SABR 45.
- Hotel: Visit palmerhouse.hilton.com or call (312) 726-7500 to book your room. The SABR group rate is no longer available. The Palmer House Hilton is at 17 East Monroe Street, Chicago, IL 60603, in the heart of the downtown Loop, near two CTA stops — from O’Hare Airport, take the Blue Line to Monroe/Dearborn stop and then walk two blocks east on Monroe; from Midway Airport, take the Orange Line to the Adams/Wabash stop.
Members of the host Emil Rothe Chapter have compiled a list of transportation tips to help visitors and convention attendees enjoy their stay in the Windy City. If you have any questions during your stay, please don’t hesitate to ask a friendly SABR 45 volunteer for assistance.
For more information on Chicago’s award-winning restaurants, upcoming events and other attractions, visit choosechicago.com.
Directions to the hotel
The Palmer House Hilton is located in the heart of the downtown Loop, between Chicago’s two major airports.
From O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
Distance: 18 miles northwest from the hotel
- Public transportation: Take the CTA Blue Line train to the Monroe/Dearborn stop. Walk east for three blocks on Monroe to the hotel (at State Street). The Palmer House is on the south side of Monroe. (Fare: $5.00. Visit transitchicago.com for details.)
- Driving: Follow signs for I-190 out of the airport. Take I-190 to I-90/94 East (Kennedy Expressway). Take I-90/94 to the Monroe Street exit, turn left on Monroe Street (east) and go approximately 8 blocks to the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel is on the right.
- Shuttles/cabs: A taxicab ride or shared-van shuttle service is available for an average fare of $30-40 (or more, depending on traffic) from O’Hare to downtown hotels. Please plan for about one hour of travel time. Visit flychicago.com for more information on airport shuttles or click here for a list of taxicab companies.
From Midway International Airport (MDW)
Distance: 12 miles southwest from the hotel
- Public transportation: From Midway Airport, take the Orange Line from Midway to downtown. Get off at the Adams/Wabash stop. The Palmer House is located on the west side of Wabash Avenue. (Fare: $3.00. Visit transitchicago.com for details.)
- Driving: Drive north on Cicero Avenue. Take Stevenson Expressway (I-55) northeast to Kennedy Expressway (I-90 West). Exit Monroe Street, turn right (east) and go 8 blocks to the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel is on the right.
- Shuttles/cabs: A taxicab ride or shared-van shuttle service is available for an average fare of $28-35 (or more, depending on traffic) from Midway to downtown hotels. Please plan for about 30-45 minutes of travel time. Visit flychicago.com for more information on airport shuttles or click here for a list of taxicab companies.
By Amtrak train
Station Name: Union Station – Downtown
Distance: 0.8 miles west from the hotel
Many Amtrak routes come in to Chicago’s Union Station, which is a short distance from the Palmer House Hilton. Visit Amtrak.com for more information or to book your reservation.
- Walking directions: From Union Station, walk north two blocks to Monroe Street and turn right (east). Continue for 0.6 miles to the hotel (at State Street). The Palmer House is on the south side of Monroe.
Parking at or near the hotel
The Palmer House Hilton offers valet parking on-site or self parking for hotel guests across the street:
- On-site Valet Parking: $75 overnight
- On-site Self Parking: $51 overnight
- Self Parking across from hotel: $43 overnight
Click here for more details at palmerhouse.hilton.com. There are also several discount parking lots and garages with day rates near the hotel. Visit chicago.bestparking.com for more information.
Getting around Chicago
Train (the “L”):
The “L” is the most convenient and affordable way to get from Chicago’s airport to the hotel and it is also a great way to explore the city. There are multiple CTA train stations within walking distance of the Palmer House Hilton, including the Monroe-Red Line station and the Adams/Wabash station (multiple lines). Single-ride passes ($3) and multi-day Ventra cards are available for purchase. Visit transitchicago.com for details, maps, and fare information.
Taxi: Exit the Monroe Street doors of the Palmer House Hilton for the taxi stand.
- Yellow Cab: ( 312) 829-4222
- Flash Cab: (773) 561-1444
Bus: The CTA bus system consists of 140 routes that serve nearly 12,000 bus stops throughout the region. For more information on the CTA bus line, visit transitchicago.com.
- The Magnificent Mile/Michigan Ave. shopping: This cosmopolitan, history-packed strip between the Michigan Avenue Bridge and Oak Street leads you from department stores to multi-story megamalls to luxury boutiques to brand name retail chains – all in a row. Click here for more information.
- Navy Pier: This 50-acre playground of entertainment, museums, activities, restaurants, and shops is the perfect place for some family fun time. Click here for more information.
- Millennium Park: With 25 acres of awe-inspiring landscape, breathtaking architecture and an iconic collection of public art (including “The Bean”), Millennium Park is Chicago’s premier green space. Click here for more information from choosechicago.com.
- Art Institute of Chicago: The second-largest art museum in the country offers outstanding special exhibitions and daily gallery tours. Click here for more information from choosechicago.com.
- Music and comedy: Chicago is famous for legendary blues and jazz, which can be heard nightly in venues throughout the city. And if you like to laugh, you’ve come to the right place. From traditional stand-up to competitive improv to sketch, find it at Chicago’s top comedy clubs. Click here for more information.
For more information on SABR 45, visit SABR.org/convention.