Joe Price

This article was written by Bill Nowlin

Joe Price (TRADING CARD DB)Left-handed pitcher Joe Price worked 11 seasons in major league baseball, the first seven of them with the Cincinnati Reds. He appeared in 372 games, starting 84 and closing 84. He relieved in 288 games, winning 45 big league games overall and posting a 3.65 earned run average.

Joseph Walter Price was born in Inglewood, California, on November 29, 1956.1 “My dad’s name is Tom and my mom’s name is Nola. My dad was one of 16 kids. He was born in California, but his parents were raised in Oklahoma. It was very much like The Grapes of Wrath. When they heard that there was work in California, that’s where they went. He actually grew up in government tents outside of Bakersfield.”2

Tom Price found work in the bottled water business in southern California, working with Arrowhead in the 1960s. He worked in management, eventually becoming a general manager and part-owner.3 Joe had three brothers — Dave, two years older, and Mark, two years younger. Sister Dori was two years younger than Mark. Matt is five years younger than Dori. Mark was the only other one active in sports; he was San Diego County high school basketball player of the year in his senior year.

Joe attended Santana High School in Santee, California, about 20 miles northeast of San Diego. Harry Smith, a scout for the Baltimore Orioles, helped him land a full-ride baseball scholarship at Oklahoma State, where he played for two years.4 He then transferred to Oklahoma. He was not eligible to play during his first (and only) year at Oklahoma due to NCAA regulations concerning transfer students, but did play in intra-squad games where he was noticed by scouts. The interesting full story is told in the notes at the end of this biography.5

At age 20, Price was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the fourth round of the June 1977 draft, the 103rd overall selection. Larry Barton Jr. was the signing scout for the Reds, working with scouting director Joe Bowen.6 Price stood 6-foot-4 and was listed at 200 pounds. He batted from the right side, though throwing left-handed.

Price’s first assignment was in Montana, where he played rookie ball in the Pioneer League for the 1977 Billings Mustangs. In 15 games, he was 6-5 (3.73 ERA), with the most wins on the 23-46 team. At the end of the season, he was named the team’s MVP7 and was assigned to the Tampa Tarpons in the Single-A Florida State League for the following season.

He worked 165 innings for Tampa in 1978 with a 1.47 ERA (second-best in the league) and a record of 10-4. He was named to the league’s all-star team. On August 25, he was promoted to the Nashville Sounds (in the Double-A Southern League.) He got his feet wet with 10 innings of work at the higher level, striking out 10 batters. He was 0-0, with 2.70 ERA.

In 1979, Price spent the full season with Nashville, starting 20 games and relieving in two others. He produced a 6-6 record with a 3.96 ERA. That winter, he played in Puerto Rico, and it made a difference. “I played two years at Caguas. I really enjoyed my time down there. My first year in Caguas was when I first realized that I could actually make it to the big leagues. The winter of ‘79-‘80 was my first time facing big-league hitters and I had a really good year down there after being hurt for part of the season in Double A. It gave me a tremendous amount of confidence.”8

Triple A was where he began 1980, with the American Association’s Indianapolis Indians. On June 14, however, he was promoted to the Reds with Bill Bonham injured and Tom Seaver feeling subpar.9 That was the date of Price’s debut, at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. He started and worked the first six innings for manager John McNamara and pitched well, allowing just two runs. When he left, the Reds had a 3-2 lead, but his replacement, Mario Soto, gave up two runs in the bottom of the seventh and the Cardinals won, 4-3.

Two weeks later, in the Astrodome, Price got his first decision, an 8-5 win over the Houston Astros, thanks to a three-run double by Johnny Bench and a two-run triple by Dave Concepcion — but Price had surrendered five earned runs in 5 1/3 innings. His first loss came on July 3, in San Francisco, a 4-3 loss to the Giants. Ten days after that, the Giants beat him in Cincinnati; he only gave up two runs in seven innings, but Allen Ripley and Al Holland combined on a three-hit shutout of the Reds.

By year’s end, Price was 7-3 (3.56 ERA). He had worked 111 1/3 innings in 13 starts and 11 relief appearances, including several stints of long relief. On July 27 in New York, he earned praise from his catcher, Johnny Bench, for working six innings of two-hit relief against the Mets: “He did the job today, and that’s the kind of work you need coming off the bench for you to win.”10 He had two complete games, both road wins, 3-2 against the Padres and 8-1 against the Cardinals. The last Reds game of the season saw Price throw the first eight innings of a 1-0 shutout of the Atlanta Braves.

In 1981, Price was used exclusively in relief. “The guy was just too valuable in the bullpen for me to start him,” said McNamara. “I’m the only lefthander of the staff…I’m beginning to enjoy my role,” said Price. “It’s a challenge.”11 He appeared in 41 games, throwing 53 2/3 innings, and posted a record of 6-1 with four saves and an ERA of 2.52. Though Cincinnati finished with the best overall record (66-42) in the NL West, the season had been interrupted by a players’ strike that took two months out of the season — from June 12 through August 9 — and the playoffs for the division lead were between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros, who had led the division in the first half and second half, respectively. The Reds were simply left out, despite their superior record. The Dodgers went on to ultimately win the World Series over the New York Yankees, leaving Cincinnati fans wondering what might have been.

In 1982, the Reds (61-101) finished last in the N.L. West. Russ Nixon took over as manager midway through the season. The change in skippers didn’t make for an appreciable difference in wins and losses. Price was used in a career-high 59 games, closing 17. He worked 72 2/3 innings, with an ERA of 2.85 and a 3-4 won/loss record. He had one start, in the second game of the May 2 doubleheader against the visiting Cardinals. He worked six innings and gave up just one run in a game that ended 6-4 with St. Louis on top, but was assigned the loss.

Nixon returned as manager in 1983. Price became a starting pitcher once again, prompted by injuries to other Reds starters. He worked in 21 games, all starts, with another excellent ERA — 2.88. He was 10-6, second in team wins to Mario Soto’s 17. The Reds (74-88) again finished in last place. Price worked steadily through the first four months of the season (save for an elbow problem on May 1 that shelved him for nearly three weeks) but only appeared once in August and once in September.12 He was 5-1 (1.98) in July and named National League Pitcher of the Month. In early August, though, he was hampered by left shoulder stiffness and was placed on the 21-day disabled list. His best games were his first of the year (which was only his second start since 1980), a two-hitter against the Cubs on April 11, winning 5-1, and a three-hit 3-1 win in New York against the Mets on July 13.

Price started 30 games for the 1984 Reds, striking out a career-high 129 batters (he walked 61), but gave up more base hits than he previously had in a season. He bore an ERA of 4.19 and compiled a record of 7-13 for the fifth-place club.13 One of the wins was a shutout — as it turned out, the only one of his career, — a two-hitter against the Dodgers in Los Angeles on July 27. In the game he struck out 10 but flirted with trouble by walking six. He had suffered some respiratory problems in April that caused a slow and inconsistent start to the season, but by mid-June seemed to get himself back on track, only twice (in late August) allowing more than three earned runs in a start. The following spring, Greg Hoard of the Cincinnati Enquirer wrote that pitching coach Stan Williams and manager Stan Rapp had repositioned Price on the pitching rubber from the left side to the right side, and it seemed to have messed him up. For his part, Price said he wasn’t blaming them: “It was my fault for going along with the change.”14

Pete Rose managed the Reds in 1985, and they finished in second place, 5 ½ games behind the Dodgers. Tom Browning (20-9) led the pitching staff in wins. Price — who was selected by his teammates to be player representative in negotiations with management — was used more in relief than as a starter, only having one start (which he won) before June. As of July 8, he was 2-2 with a 3.92 ERA. He got one more start, on July 21, giving up three runs in two innings, and then didn’t pitch again for more than 2 ½ weeks. Price worked in relief eight times in August, not giving up even one run all month long, but did not work again after the 28th. He finished 2-2 (3.90). He’d worked 64 2/3 innings, down from 171 2/3 the year before. He’d suffered elbow problems, had a couple of disabled list stints, and was told there were calcium deposits that needed to be surgically removed; the surgery was done in September. A partial tendon tear was discovered and repaired during the surgery.

In 1986, Price’s innings pitched dropped yet again, to 41 2/3 innings. He appeared in 25 games, two of them starts. He’d been 1-1 (4.89) on the year through a June 23 start in Houston, when he gave up five runs in 4 1/3 innings. He lost his second start, on July 6 in Philadelphia. He had perhaps tried to come back too soon after the surgery. After that he didn’t work again for two full months — until September 7. He worked two innings on that date and two innings on the 21st. His record was 1-2 (5.40). His time with the Reds was over. He had been 36-31 with a 3.56 earned run average in his seven seasons with Cincinnati.

Looking back, Price says, “Up to that point, I’d have really good results in every year leading up to that. The thing that probably hurt me was in ’86, Pete [Rose] was the manager and he said, ‘I want you to be my Don Robinson.’ Meaning start one day, relieve one day, long relief, short relief, didn’t matter. I said, ‘Great. Just give me the ball.’ That’s what I did. I started a few games. I relieved a few games. I had real good results early in the year. And then one game in Cincinnati I threw a pitch and it felt like somebody had stabbed me in my elbow with a knife.

“After a couple of days, I went down to see [Dr. James] Andrews. It was really interesting what he told me. He said, ‘Joe, you can trick your body into being a starter or you can trick your body into being a reliever. You can’t trick it into being both.’

“I had had success as a starter, and I had had success as a reliever. I didn’t really even think about it in those terms until I heard that from Andrews.”15

On February 5, 1987, Price signed as a free agent with the San Francisco Giants. He was cut near the end of spring training. Suffering something of a dead arm, he accepted an assignment to start the 1987 season in Triple A, with the Phoenix Firebirds (Pacific Coast League.) Over the first couple of months with Phoenix, he started eight games and relieved in nine others. He built a record of 6-0 with an ERA of 2.49. The Giants called him up to the big leagues on July 5.

Price acquitted himself well, working 35 innings in 20 games with an ERA of 2.57 while working exclusively in relief. He was 2-2 with one save. He struck out 42 and walked only 13. The Giants (90-72) finished first in the N.L. West, six games ahead of Cincinnati. They played the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Championship Series, taking it to Game Seven before being shut out by Danny Cox in the final game.

Price appeared in two games, the only postseason games of his major league career. The two teams had traded wins and losses through the first four games. Price entered NLCS Game Five after four innings in relief of Rick Reuschel. His team had a 6-3 lead. He set down the Cardinals in order in the fifth inning, gave up a single in the sixth to Willie McGee, but only allowed one more baserunner in the five full innings he worked, a seventh-inning walk to Tony Pena. Price earned the win. Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog said, “He looked like [Hall of Famer] Rube Waddell today.”16 “I never pitched a bigger game,” Price said afterwards. “It was kind of a dream.”17

His other appearance was in the final game. Starting pitcher Atlee Hammaker gave up four runs in the second inning, three of them on a homer by Jose Oquendo. Manager Roger Craig had Eddie Milner pinch-hit for Hammaker in the top of the third; Milner singled. Price pitched to the first four batters in the bottom of the third, recording two outs but giving up two singles. Craig had Kelly Downs relieve Price, and pitch to Tony Pena. Downs induced a fly ball out to right field, ending the inning. Price’s postseason career stats thus stand at 5 2/3 innings with an ERA of 0.00, and a record of 1-0. He allowed three hits and walked one, striking out seven.

The 1988 season was very disappointing in terms of wins and losses; Price was 1-6 for San Francisco and he had two more stints on the disabled list, once in June and once in late August. He had shoulder problems, caused by a frayed bursa, and required cortisone injections during the season. He had postseason surgery. His ERA increased to 3.94, though in only one of the six losses did he give up as many as three runs. Five of the losses were by one-run margins. The Giants finished in fourth place, 11 ½ games behind the Dodgers.

Price was brought back for 1989, and he worked in seven April games for San Francisco, but the surgery hadn’t been as successful as hoped for. He won the one start among them, against the Atlanta Braves on April 16. He’d lost a game in Cincinnati earlier in the month on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 16th after a single, stolen base, and sacrifice had put a runner on third base with just one out. He was 1-1 with a 5.79 ERA when the Giants released him on May 1. “I couldn’t get the same velocity that I had. The Giants needed to pare their roster. Al Rosen and Roger Craig were always very honest, which I appreciated.” They said they had to let him go but didn’t think he’d be on the waiver wire for very long.

Four days later, Price signed as a free agent with the Boston Red Sox, who needed a pitcher after Oil Can Boyd required treatment for a blood clot. Boston pitching coach Bill Fischer knew Price from when the two had been together in Cincinnati (1980-1983). Price came to Boston with a career 40-40 record.

He signed with Boston in part because the team had been doing well, making the postseason two of the three previous years. “I looked at their roster versus the other teams that were interested, and it was like, ‘Well, these guys have a chance to win.’ At that point in my career, that was all that mattered.” The problem was that he hadn’t returned to form. “It was tough. My arm wasn’t 100 percent. If you look at my starting numbers versus my relief numbers with Boston, there’s a significant difference. There’s no way that I was built up to start at that point.”

Price appeared in 31 games for the Red Sox, starting five of them, working a total of 70 1/3 innings. On September 10, he was placed on the suspended list for four days by manager Joe Morgan, who said that Price had sworn at him. A Boston Globe story said that Price had criticized Morgan after a 13-1 loss on September 5. Four days later, after Devon White stole second, third, and home in the sixth inning of an 8-5 loss to the Angels, Morgan asked Price why he hadn’t used the slide step. Words were exchanged, though Price denied he had sworn.18

At year’s end, he was 2-5 for Boston (4.35 ERA). The Red Sox finished in third place under Morgan and let Price go to free agency that November. Price had been the only left-handed starter with a win for Boston in 1989; both of his wins had come in starts. But he left on an unhappy note, feeling the organization was in some “disarray” and noting that there were several player complaints about the lack of a decent wives’ room and family section.19

At age 33, Price’s final season was with the Baltimore Orioles. The O’s had let Mark Thurmond go and were looking for a left-hander. Price signed with them in January 1990, and worked in an even 50 games, every one of them in relief. He threw 65 1/3 innings, winning three games and losing four for the fifth place (76-85) Orioles, with a 3.58 ERA. There was another stint on the DL from June 27 to July 15, due to a sore back.20

Once more, he became a free agent. He was at Rochester, in the Orioles’ farm system, but at his request was released on April 25, 1991. He did put in one final season, in Triple A. Signing on May 14, he pitched for the Padres’ affiliate Las Vegas Stars (Pacific Coast League) and was 2-1 with a 2.19 ERA in 26 games. He finished the year with the Orioles’ International League Rochester Red Wings; in seven games he was 0-1, giving up nine runs in five innings of work over seven appearances.

Price’s major league record was 45-49 with 13 saves and a 3.65 ERA. He had been 40-40 in the National League, but in his last couple of years was 5-9 in the American League. As a batter, he had 19 base hits in exactly 200 plate appearances, and a .111 batting average, with five runs batted in and six runs scored. In 906 innings of work, he committed 12 errors and had a career fielding percentage of .916. And, as noted, he was 1-0 in postseason pitching.

At the time of the July 2021 interview, Price was living in Sarasota on the 60-foot boat, Exodus, he shares with his wife Angel. They had married about 7 ½ years earlier, a second marriage for both. Price’s first marriage was in 1986, and his wife Lee Ann gave birth to their daughter Andrea in 1988.21

After baseball, Joe Price returned to California and joined with his father, who had started Ramona Bottling in Los Angeles in the middle 1980s. “I was president of Ramona from about 1995 until the time it sold in 2000. In the late ‘90s, we also purchased an Australian bottling company, Cottonwood Springs.22 The Australian company sold a couple years later – my brother still lives there, married with two daughters. The company that bought us made me a really nice offer and I worked for them for a couple of years. At the time, my ex-wife’s dad came down with cancer and I said, ‘Well, if you ever wanted to move back to Cincinnati, now would be the time.’ We did.

“I ended up actually running a mortgage company within a real estate company. There’s a Berkshire Hathaway affiliate there that had 12 offices and 700-something agents. I ran mortgage title and insurance for a number of years. I ended up being the COO of the real estate company. It was a tough time in the mortgage business — 2008 and 2009. I could see that the restrictions they were going to put on what mortgages looked like from that day forward, so I went over to the real estate side. I did that for a couple of years.

“It became very political, so I got out of that and started a consulting firm, doing that along with some real estate on my own.”

Joe and Lee Ann divorced, and, over time, he came to know his current wife Angel, who was also in the mortgage business. “I always told people she’s one of the nicest people I ever met, and that was before there was any romantic interest.” That interest developed sometime later.

They moved to Florida after their January 2014 marriage at Key West. “We were both living in Cincinnati and had good jobs and all that, but after we got married, we started asking ourselves, ‘Why is it that we live in Cincinnati?’ We thought, ‘Why not give Florida a shot?’ If we didn’t like it, we’d move back in a year. It was a huge leap of faith because we didn’t have jobs down here. Since it was both our second marriages, we decided that we would get rid of everything we had up to that point. We moved down here in two cars. If it didn’t fit in the cars, it didn’t come. It’s been a tremendous blessing ever since. We moved into our boat fulltime about 2 ½ years ago. We have a place here, but we keep it rented out. We were down in Key West for a couple of months — March, April, May — and had a blast down there, but Sarasota’s pretty much our home.”

Joe’s parents divorced in the late 1990s, but both live nearby in condos he helped them find and renovate. When Joe and Angel moved onto the boat, Joe’s sister Dori bought their house. She helps look after their parents.

Joe keeps busy at this and that, working on remodeling projects, but “it’s only for people who I know and I like. It keeps me from just sitting around on the boat, or fishing.

“I’ve been very blessed. We live a very comfortable life. We could always have a bigger, better, faster boat but we love the one we’ve got.

“The only thing I do in baseball anymore — and I’ve been doing it 20 or 21 years — is the Reds invited me to coach fantasy camp. I’ve been doing that, and that’s enough. It’s nice because I get to see some of the old guys. I get to meet some guys who played after me, or before me.

“Life is good. I can honestly say that I’ve never been happier than I am today.”

Last revised: September 16, 2021



This biography was reviewed by James Forr and Norman Macht and fact-checked by Kevin Larkin.



1 This Joe Price is not to be confused with the New York Giants center fielder of the same name. Joseph Preston Price played with the Giants in 1928 and his entire major league career consisted of one at bat in one game. The game was on September 5, 1928, against the Phillies at Baker Bowl. The Giants held a 12-3 lead when Price — who had played two innings without an outfield chance — came to bat against Augie Walsh, leading off the top of the ninth inning. He took a called third strike.

2 Author interview with Joe Price on July 2, 2021. Unless otherwise attributed, all direct quotations come from this interview.

3 Price said, “While I was playing baseball, he started his own company [Ramona Bottling]. I invested in that and by the time I got out, it was a growing company and so I got involved with that. We ended up selling that in 2000. We got up to about 110 employees and we ended up selling it to a company that was publicly traded — McKesson HOC at that time.”

4 He explained, “The night of the draft, my senior year in high school, I got a call from a scout with the Baltimore Orioles. We had a conversation and he asked me if I wanted to go to college or if I wanted to get drafted. We talked and I said I’d prefer to be drafted. What 17-year-old kid wouldn’t want that? He said, ‘Well, if I put a draft in on you, it’s not going to be in the top 10 rounds and you’re not going to get a lot of money. If you’d like to go to college, I might be able to steer you in the right direction there. Would you be interested in Oklahoma State?’ I said, ‘Yeah, I’d definitely be interested.’ He passed my name along to the coach at Oklahoma State at the time. Within 24 or 48 hours, he had offered me a full ride. He had never seen me play, but this scout had seen me play a lot.”

5 Price detailed the process. “Oklahoma at that time actually had a much better program. I didn’t know what I didn’t know when I went out to Oklahoma State. I loved the campus at Oklahoma State. Beautiful school. But the draw to get better personally had a lot to do with it. The coach at Oklahoma State was kind of like a crusty old guy. I was actually going to transfer after my sophomore year to the University of Hawaii, who had been recruiting me out of high school. When I left Oklahoma State and I let it be known, I also wrote a letter to a couple of the schools that I had played against when I was at Oklahoma State and that I saw had really good programs. The coach at Oklahoma contacted me and said he couldn’t give me a full ride, but he’d love for me to come back. My sophomore year I got beat by Oklahoma in the Big Eight tournament, 1-0, in extra innings, and I pitched the whole game. He was willing to give me an opportunity. I ended up going to Oklahoma just for the one year. I could only pitch in intrasquad games and batting practice but there were always scouts there. I was actually drafted in the fourth round and never pitched an inning in college ball that year.”

Was Smith left out in the cold? Professional baseball is, of course, very much a business. “Right after my junior year at Oklahoma, the Reds had an invitation-only tryout as soon as I got back, as luck would have it. I went to that. I remember throwing two innings and striking out four. From that day until the draft, I was either talking to or throwing for somebody from the Reds organization for that three-week period. I was contacted by a couple of teams but not to the interest level that the Reds had.” Smith could have urged the Orioles to draft Price before the Reds did, but they did not. Price is still friendly with Harry Smith’s son, Tim. Tim’s brother Chris Smith played briefly in the major leagues, 1981-83.

6 “Reds Mourn Death of Larry Barton Jr.,” Highland County Press (Hillsboro, Ohio), February 9, 2020. Also see Cincinnati Enquirer, June 16, 1980: 27.

7 Per Price’s 1987 Topps baseball card #786.

8 “They invited me back and paid me a lot more money. I enjoyed it. They play great ball. The team I was on, we had an established big leaguer at first, second, short, left, center, and right field. Some of the guys were older. Some of the guys were in their prime. But they were big leaguers and I had just finished my Double A season.” Without benefit of an agent, Price says, “I remember sending a copy to the Reds manager, John McNamara, and the minor-league coordinator Sheldon Bender, letting them know that I did really well and here’s my statistics and would you please consider inviting me to spring training.”

9 Associated Press, “Reds Shift Werner, Sign Nolan, Call Up Starting AAA Pitcher,” Columbus Dispatch, June 14, 1980: 16. Seaver was soon diagnosed with tendinitis.

10 “Reds 10, Mets 4,” Evening Star (Washington DC), July 28, 1980: 20. See also Mark Friedman, “Veteran Johnny Bench Lauds Cincy Pitcher Joe Price,” Atlanta Daily World, August 19, 1980: 5.

11 Earl Lawson, “Price is Right as Lefty in Reds’ Bullpen,” The Sporting News, June 6, 1981: 22. The year hadn’t started well. In his first relief role, on April 10, he threw all of one pitch — to the Braves’ Chris Chambliss, who hit a two-run homer. The year-end numbers, though, were excellent. By midyear, many were saying that Price had become the “bullpen ace.” See Bruce Jenkins, “Dodgers, Phils Should Do It Again,” San Francisco Chronicle, August 7, 1981: 68.

12 On August 6, he threw 2 1/3 innings, allowing just one run, in San Diego, and on September 4, he worked 4 1/3 innings, giving up three runs in St. Louis.

13 Vern Rapp had started the season for Cincinnati, replaced by Pete Rose for the last 41 games.

14 There was another time that Price had told Williams he was feeling ill and felt weak, and Williams told him to go out and pitch anyhow. See Greg Hoard, “This Year’s Price’s on Rise,” Cincinnati Enquirer, March 9, 1985. C-1, C-3.

15 One’s body could get used to working every five or so days as a starter or working shorter stints maybe more frequently if you were a reliever. Asked if he thought he threw harder as a reliever, because he was only asked to work an inning or two, Price said, “I do think that — through my early career, at least — when I was in relief, I was going for maximum extension on almost every pitch, whereas as a starter, you’re not necessarily pacing yourself but you’re thinking ahead to the second, third, or maybe even fourth time you’re going to face the hitter so you’re going to change things up a little bit.”

16 Ben Walker, Associated Press, “Giants run Cards into the ground,” Santa Cruz Sentinel, October 12, 1987: 15.

17 Ron Borges, “Price was right,” Boston Globe, October 12, 1987: 45. Price credited the Giants for giving him the time to have built back the strength in his arm, during the time he’d worked in Triple A earlier in the season.

18 Steve Fainaru, “Price is suspended,” Boston Globe, September 11, 1989: 33. In the following day’s Globe, Price said that Morgan had baited him. See Steve Fainaru, “Price mulls grievance,” Boston Globe, September 12, 1989: 33. An earlier Boston Herald story had told of the September 5 incident. See Joe Giuliotti, “Joe pays the Price,” Boston Herald, September 7, 1989: 106. Also see Steve Buckley, “New charge by Price is denied by Morgan,” Hartford Courant, September 13, 1989: B1.

19 Mike Shalin, “Price hurls parting shot,” Boston Herald, January 17, 1990: 90.

20 Richard Justice, “Price is Ripe for Signing,” Washington Post, February 21, 1991: C2.

21 “Andrea was born in August 3,1988 at Stanford Medical in Palo Alto. I started a day game at Candlestick for the Giants and as soon as I was done went to the hospital where they induced labor. We had an off day the next day so got to drive them home.” Email to author on July 4, 2021. The marriage was Lee Ann’s second. She had a son Ryan from her first marriage, and Price adopted Ryan, “but when we divorced in 2010, he divorced me, too.” As of mid- 2021, Andrea is married to an interventional radiologist and living in California with their two children.

22 See Accessed July 5, 2021.

Full Name

Joseph Walter Price


November 29, 1956 at Inglewood, CA (USA)

If you can help us improve this player’s biography, contact us.