The Baseball Biography Project is an ongoing effort to research and write comprehensive biographical articles on people who played or managed in the major leagues, or otherwise made a significant contribution to the sport. The project is run by SABR’s BioProject Committee. To check out recent newsletters by the BioProject Committee, click here.
All biographies are written by members of SABR and all have been peer-reviewed for style and accuracy.
- Find any BioProject essay: You can look up any BioProject essay by typing a name (either full name or surname only) in the search box at the top. Or scroll down to browse through our category pages to find more stories.
- What’s here? In addition to a full-life, peer-reviewed SABR biography of baseball figures from A to Z, you will also find links to their professional career statistics at Baseball-Reference.com and Retrosheet.org, and interviews, photographs, and other resources intended to help broaden and deepen the reader’s knowledge about each subject.
- Bios on more than just ballplayers: The ambitious goal of the SABR Baseball Biography Project is to publish a full-life biography of every major league player in history. But SABR members write about a lot more than just ballplayers. In addition, we have pages for Ballparks, Broadcasters, Executives, Games, Managers, Scouts, Spouses, Umpires, Writers, people who were Famous Outside Baseball, and a lot more. You can browse all of these categories here. So if you’ve ever thought, “Hey, that person (or ballpark) should get the full BioProject treatment” — write the story!
- Get involved: Writing a biography for the BioProject is a fun way to get involved as a SABR member. Find out how by visiting our BioProject Resources page or reading the FAQs section. Want to write a player’s life story? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
- Negro Leagues bios: Biographical information from the Seamheads Negro Leagues Database appears courtesy of Agate Type Research LLC.